1st proper competition - any advice?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike S-J

1st proper competition - any advice?

Post by Mike S-J »

Have just entered my first 'proper' competition (i.e. non-postal) - the British open Championships for air pistol at Bisley in a month's time.

Obviously I am not going with any expectation of winning anything- rather I thought it would be an 'education': electronic targets, lots of people, lots of good people, scary, very scary, etc...

I currently shoot in a dimly light cold, damp basement (in a club - but airpistol is not their thing) so shooting in a purpose-built facility should be a shock.

Given there are helpful veterans and enthusiasts on this board I wondered if you had any sage advice for me in preparation and execution of this event.

Feeling like a rabbit caught in the headlights at the moment...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike,
I'll be there myself, again. My advice is simple really. Get there early so you know where to go and what to do. Be prepared - so check your trigger weight beforehand and know how to adjust it should it fail. If possible due the same with the gun / grip - if's it's a 'standard' gun you should be OK.

Don't be phased by the big hall and lots of people and don't worry about shooting next to anyone well known. The range is very light and the targets will look much brighter than your home range as they are set to ISSF standards.

Lastly don't be afraid to ask anyone. Range officers, other shooters etc - almost all will be more than happy to help you.

Oh and don't forget to enjoy it !

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mike, I would echo everything that Rob has said, with 2 little extras:-

Look at any of the big names there and remember that they were all just as aprehensive as you on their first "big one".

Virtually everyone shoots too quickly the first time they use electronic targetry. Remember to pace yourself, you will have plenty of time for breaks.

I'll be there shooting on the Saturday afternoon. We may bump into each other.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Mike,
Have plenty of sighters while you settle into shooting in a different well-lit environment. The change in lighting will affect your sight picture, so don't be afraid to adjust your sights.
Colin
Pradeep5

Post by Pradeep5 »

Most important thing: enjoy yourself.

2nd thing: Remember you have nothing to lose. No one knows your reputation or lack thereof. I've found it gets harder, the higher the scores you shoot, because other people then expect you to continue at that level. You put more and more pressure on yourself.
Alex L

Ist proper competition

Post by Alex L »

Mike,
We have been competing for many years. Everyone has a certain progression. You obviously intend to move to the next level, and you state that the facilities at your club are not as good as you will get at Bisley.
Look at the positive side - you will have better light, better postition,and a higher standard of shooters.
Remember - you are shooting for yourself. You must try to do everything your Club coach has told you. Do Not try things that you see others doing, just keep doing what you know and have practiced.

I suggest - make sure your equipment has been checked at your own club, and everything you need for the competition will be to hand when you get to Bisley. You will find the environment, smells, atmosphere, people are all different from what you are used to.
This is the new experience you must accept, and come to terms with. It is a new learning curve.

You will find that some people are willing to talk with you, and will try to assist you. This might over tax you, and can wind up confusing you.
Just do what you do in training. Have tunnel vision during the competition, but when you finish, write down every detail of what you remember to refer to later, and talk over with your coach.

Have a positive outlook, and go there to enjoy yourself. Good luck, and let us all know how you go. Alex L.