Pardini SP vs. SP New vs. SP1?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nicole Hamilton

Pardini SP vs. SP New vs. SP1?

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I've been shooting my SP for years and love the ergonomics of it. For my taste, the rolling trigger is simply wonderful and the grip also is just perfect (much better than, e.g., the Hammerlis.)

But all my past experience in competition has been in NRA .22 gallery-style matches (mostly near Boston) where I've been able to use a red-dot. In my case, it's an Aimpoint 30mm mounted using the modified rings Don Nygord used to sell.

But now I'm living near Seattle, where the club I've joined switches back and forth between NRA and international rules at different times of the year. I listen politely to suggestions that it's no big deal to take the red dot off, then remount it and that I probably won't need to rezero it. But I'm just such so darn fussy about positioning my group just right that, starting from scratch, I'm never happy 'till I've gone through at least a whole brick. And for me, life's too short to spend it foolin' with the sights. I want to get on to the shooting part.

So I just don't think this idea of taking the dot off and putting it back on again is for me. Instead, I've pretty much decided to solve the problem by just buying a second SP and dedicating it to use with iron sights. Actually, this may not be a bad thing: My attitude is that one can never have too many guns and any excuse to buy another gun is usually a good excuse.

But Pardini has complicated the matter by updating the SP with the SP New and adding an SP1 with electronic trigger.

I doubt I'm interested in the SP1 as I'm already totally satisfied with the SP and can't see much reason to spend an extra $500 to fix something that ain't broke. That said, perhaps I'm missing something here and would be delighted to hear some comments.

I'm more interested to hear comments comparing the SP with SP New. From a quick conversation with Larry at Larry's Guns, it sounds like the grip and trigger feel are virtually unchanged. They've gone from 4 to 6 weights, but I guessing I'll experience more difference (which is to say, not much) due to the effects of shooting with vs. without the weight of the red-dot.

Comments? Any SP owners who've shot these new guns who might care to remark on how they compare? If I get an SP New, is it going to feel like the same gun or a different gun?
crrmeyer

Or just swap barrels....

Post by crrmeyer »

I purchased this from Don Nygord back when the local range was thinking about holding bullseye matches again. Too bad that never happened. It has a Shilen barrel, custom barrel weight, and an Optima dot sight. Don seemed to really like this arrangement. Since the sight is mounted to the barrel, swapping barrels should not effect where it is sighted in.

Picture:
http://members.cox.net/crmeyer/pardini-barrel.jpg

Charles
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

If I was shooting international rules now, I suppose that might be an option. But I'm already using an Aimpoint that I really like and which I have mounted to the receiver. So I can't just change the barrel.

But I appeciate the thought. Thank you.
Tom

Well here goes...

Post by Tom »

Hi,

I can't speak to the new SP's as I haven't picked mine up yet however I can say something about the on-off again red dot.

I have a 4 weight SP with grooves. I purchased a BSA 30mm red dot from Walmart for $30 US. Yep, it's cheap but it turns on every time and since I use it for 50 foot gallery, it works just fine. It has a one piece base not rings. I put a dot of white out to mark it's location fore and aft so I know I put it back in the same spot and I have never had to do more than a one click dot adjustment.

Changing from dot to iron takes less than a minute with no sighting issues to think of.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it,

Tom
Tom

Well here goes...

Post by Tom »

Hi,

I can't speak to the new SP's as I haven't picked mine up yet however I can say something about the on-off again red dot.

I have a 4 weight SP with grooves. I purchased a BSA 30mm red dot from Walmart for $30 US. Yep, it's cheap but it turns on every time and since I use it for 50 foot gallery, it works just fine. It has a one piece base not rings. I put a dot of white out to mark it's location fore and aft so I know I put it back in the same spot and I have never had to do more than a one click dot adjustment.

Changing from dot to iron takes less than a minute with no sighting issues to think of.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it,

Tom