Need Advice On Pistol Box Dimensions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jyl

Need Advice On Pistol Box Dimensions

Post by jyl »

Hello everyone. I hope I can get some advice.

I acquired a $50 used Pachmayr pistol box - the typical bullseye style with the front panel that flips up and a shelf that is meant to hold four pistols, standing up.

The problem is, the box is not tall enough to accomodate scoped pistols standing up. The shelf's "fingers" also won't clamp pistols securely.

So, I am planning to replace that shelf with two or three shelves, stacked on top of each other (like a dresser). Each shelf will hold a pistol (maybe two), laying horizontal (flat) in a foam cutout.

My first question: how "wide" is the widest point on a typical "sport pistol" of the Hammerli 208/240/280/SP20, FAS, Pardini SP1/SP22, Benelli MP90/MP95, etc type (including optic and grip)? That will dictate how "tall" the shelves will need to be, to hold the pistol laying horizontal (flat). I was thinking that the widest point is likely to be the grip base, but I don't have one to measure.

My second question: is there a reason to NOT carry pistols laying flat in this manner? I know the Pachmayr and Gun-Ho boxes all carry pistols standing up, but I don't know why.

Thanks, everyone. As you can guess, I don't have a sport pistol yet, but hope to someday, so I came here to ask you guys who do have them.
AnonJohn

I have the same problem...

Post by AnonJohn »

I'm going to modify my box too, but I'm going to leave the guns standing up right. I'm going to make a new tray. It is going to be stepped. So the pistol grip will have to go on the deeper side and I'll gain the clearance for scopes/red dots. I'll have to knotch the vertical wall and the floor on one side. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Oh, and my Hammerli 280 is 1.75" across at it's widest, which is the bottom of the pistol grip itself.

Good luck
John
Mike T.

Width of pistols

Post by Mike T. »

All pistols that qualify for ISSF Sport Pistol, Standard Pistol, Center Fire Pistol, and Air Pistol must fit within a box that is no more than 50 millimeters deep, so the maximum width of such pistols will be not more than 50 mm (1.9685 inches). From observing "gun check" at ISSF matches, I can say that a good proportion of pistols are at or very close to that limit.
However, if you intend to have your trays accommodate pistols that are eligible for NRA Conventional Pistol, be aware that there is no width restriction for such guns. Some anatomical grips that are intended for use on a Conventional Pistol do not conform to ISSF rules and are wider than 50 mm - considerably wider in some instances, and I have the file and the sawdust to prove it :-)
jyl

Post by jyl »

Sounds like I can fit two shelves of over 2" height. Thanks!

Do most ISSF pistol shooters use this sort of upright box, or is it mostly popular among bullseye shooters?