Powder for 32 S&W long

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ernie Rodriguez

Powder for 32 S&W long

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I am going to start reloading for the 32 S&W.I will try to develop a load using 90-100 WC.(.312/.313).I will try B'eye and N310.I have a can of ww231 ball and think it might meter more consisantly.Has anyone tried ww231??Any other powder I might try??Thanks for help.Ernie
Rob

Post by Rob »

231 works fine, but I've been using PB with good results. Years back I was using Trap 100 because it was very fine like pixie dust. It's been long discontinued and was very dirty burning. Theres been a lot of .32 loading discussion going on in the last month or two. I'd use the 231 you allready have.
Spencer C

Re: Powder for 32 S&W long

Post by Spencer C »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote:I am going to start reloading for the 32 S&W.I will try to develop a load using 90-100 WC.(.312/.313).I will try B'eye and N310.I have a can of ww231 ball and think it might meter more consisantly.Has anyone tried ww231??Any other powder I might try??Thanks for help.Ernie
From my experience, the Vihta Viouri N310 Powder meters like a dream and is the cleanest (least residue) pistol powder I have used- much cleaner burning than Bullseye and WW231.
... and groups as least as well if not better out of the machine rest.

Spencer C
eaaresk

Post by eaaresk »

N310 is an excellent choice, the only downside is probably that due to the fast burning rate, relatively small deviations from your intended load can lead to a hazardous pressure increase.

Particular care should be taken when loading hollow base wad cutters.

Hence, you may want to consider N320, slightly slower burning rate, still nice and clean, fills your cases better, and a tad more room for deviations without as fast pressure increase as the very fast burning N310.

The advice above is obviously even more valid for near maximum loads (which I suppose is of no interest for your purpose anyway), but still, I always feel more comfortable working with more moderate burning rates.
Ernie Rodriguez

N320 Powder

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Excellent advice.I am considering that powder also.I am not going to use HBWC for now only BBWC.I am presently looking for loading data on N320.If you have any info to share about that powder-I am starting to load a 32 S&W long and any advice would be appreciated.Ernie
eaaresk

Post by eaaresk »

Assuming your loads are intended for a semi-automatic like Pardini, Walther GSP, Morini etc, I would recommend a starting load approx. mid range between min and max for N-310, and then work your way upwards in .10 grain intervals until you reach a load that cycles your gun without malfunctions, and then perhaps keep going at .05 grain intervals to find the most accurate load for your gun and the bullet you've chosen.

I do not have official data for N320 for 32S&W Long, but I think you should be safe adding 20-30% to the N310 data. Again, as I assume you load for accuracy rather than maximum speed, there should be no reason to push the limits so this approach should be safe.

The hyperlink below takes you to the download page for Vihtavuori loading data. Unfortunately, they only provide data for N310 so you'll have to interpolate as described above.

http://www.lapua.com/vihtavuorinews.html

Good luck and be careful!

Erik
David M

Post by David M »

The problem is that you have to know what your loads are doing, not guess work!
Buy a chronograph, then load for a known velocity whilst also checking for signs of pressure (flat primers etc.)

I load for 680-720 fps for a 98 grain HBWC, and up to 850 fps for hard cast 90grain BNWC.

The loading manuals are a guide ONLY, rarely are they for your pistol or barrel length.
Start with a downloaded load and work up to your needs.

N310 is the best .32 target load powder in auto's with Bulseye a close second. Another good powder is WST in .32 auto.

231 is good for revolvers where you can get a good roll crimp on a cast projectile (it needs a good tight crimp to burn completely).