Range backstop

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

badger

Range backstop

Post by badger »

I belong to a small club that built an indoor range. My question concerns hanging something behind the targets but in front of the backstop to eleminate some of the splatter. Would need approxiamately 40'x10'. I could use regular sheets but was wondering if there is something more durable. Thanks for any help you can provide, Rodney E. Lowe.
James Hurr

Splatter

Post by James Hurr »

Linatex rubber sheet is a commonly used material, but a bit expensive - it can be patched when necessary.
David Levene

Re: Splatter

Post by David Levene »

James Hurr wrote:Linatex rubber sheet is a commonly used material.....
But don't use it if you are shooting air pistol. It is difficult to follow through properly when you are having to duck the pellets bouncing back off the Linatex (even at 25m).
TomN

Post by TomN »

I'm assuming that you are firing smallbore - air rifle pellets tend not to splatter. My club uses 1/2" plywood/chipboard/flakeboard to contain the backsplash. It's cheap, widely available, and easy to work with and replace. You'll have to deal with repair/replacement every other year or so, depending on how much use your range gets. The wood fibers/chips that are created by the bullets passing through the material are messy and can take up space in your sand pit, but are not really a problem. Our lead recycler doesn't mind the contaminants, since he does not pay for the lead waste and we are happy to be rid of it.
TomF

Post by TomF »

For target velocities Berber carpet over plywood.