ALUMINUM PACHMAYR STYLE GUN BOX FOR OLYMPIC PISTOLS (PICS)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
askernie

ALUMINUM PACHMAYR STYLE GUN BOX FOR OLYMPIC PISTOLS (PICS)

Post by askernie »

As I posted before, I have been working with a manufacturer in designing a Pachmayr style pistol box for 10 meter pistols.

I went over all the potential concerns for the pistol box and the Olympic measurements for these pistols.

Attacxhed you will see the first part of this prototype. THE PISTOL TRAY.

The pistol tray is set up for 10 meter pistols and as shown in the pic will hold 2 pistols pretty comfortably. The tray also features an adjustable pistol clamp section that moves forward and back to allow for different length pistols. This is good for the shooter who owns air pistols, centerfire pistols and may also shoot Bullseye. It means that that shoooter would only have to buy ONE BOX if he/she wishes.

The tray is currently holding my IZH and my Daisy 717. the tray and the box will be made out of aircraft aluminum.

A few shooters also mentioned that they would like a "longer" box for thier "Free Pistols" and based on the info provided to me from the manufacturer this looks really GOOD.

As I have mentioned before, this is a proto, and I welcome any suggestions and comments. My goal is to get the box to be perfect for most 10 meter shooters and Centerfire shooters.

Thanks

Ernie the Eyeball
Attachments
tray1.JPG
tray2.JPG
tray3.JPG
tray4.JPG
cdf

Post by cdf »

Good looking project . Looks good quality , if you can get it fabricated for a good price you're on to something .

Chris
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I personally wouldn't go for a single point clamp system and I'd also personally favour something much softer. Either a (or a pair) wooden clamp or better still a foam tray. You could mount the foam on to the same tray. I know this loses some flexibility but a couple of sets of foam insterts would work for different sets of guns.

Just my thoughts.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Do I need to do something special to see the pictures?
scout18

Post by scout18 »

That is looking pretty good Ernie. Do I detect a custom grip on your Daisy?
xeye

Re: ALUMINUM PACHMAYR STYLE GUN BOX FOR OLYMPIC PISTOLS (PIC

Post by xeye »

As I have mentioned before, this is a proto, and I welcome any suggestions and comments. My goal is to get the box to be perfect for most 10 meter shooters and Centerfire shooters.

Thanks

Ernie the Eyeball[/quote]

Just a thought, what happens if you want to take 3 guns to a 3 gun match? (I dont do those so I don't know if anyone actually takes the whole 3 guns) Perhaps there could be an alternate clamping mechanism, to carry 3 when the air pistol is not taken? Just offering constructive criticism. I admire your initiative.
AnonJohn

Suggestions

Post by AnonJohn »

(1) Watch the scope height to the top of the box. I bought an old Pachmayer case at our last gun show, I'm going to have to modify it to allow my guns with (gasp) red dots on them to fit. My non scoped guns and air guns fit just fine.

(2) If the tray is going to be aluminium, you might consider a couple of cork or rubber non-slip strips on the bottom of the tray somewhere. This way the tray wouldn't slide around on a bench or table if it is taken out and used separate from the box/case. It's very sad when a Steyr falls off a table and ruins its sights.

(3) Consider making the tray with the same outer dimensions as used in current boxes. Then sell the tray alone as an option for those that already have a box and want to upgrade.

Level and smooth...
John
Thor

Post by Thor »

Did these boxes ever get done? Thanks.

Post by Guest »

I havent seen any.
DWG

Post by DWG »

I bought one of these boxes last year. It is sturdy and well made by strong case. My box does not have a moveable clamp in the tray. As I only shoot 10M air at this time I have no problems with any of my guns fitting. A 1/8 inch foam pad was supplied for the tray. I now have everything I need in ine place to shoot except my scope as the one I use is too large to fit inside the case. All in all I am pleased with my purchase from Ernie. DWG