How do you set up your red dot for bullesye?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
xeye

Post by xeye »

I have a 4 MOA 30mm ultra dot. I use it on setting # 3.

I have the gun set up so that it is at X when the red dot is at 6 oclock on the bull and the red circle is completely below but just abutting the black bullseye.

I have noticed some people prefer a larger dot-like the width of the 8 ring on a slow fire target- and center the dot on the bull.

I was thinking of getting a Match Dot scope with a 2 MOA setting thinking it would be even more exact until I saw so many using the larger dot, dead center.

What is the prefered way to use the red dot?
Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

You might get a better response to your question at:
http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye
Follow the links to the Bullseye-L Forum. That is the forum for NRA Conventional Pistol, which discipline does allow red-dot sights. I've never used one, but from extensive reading on the Bullseye-L forum, I believe you will find that just about everyone holds the dot in the centre of the black (to the best of their ability). There is no concensus on dot size and some shooters will change dot-size during a match, depending upon conditions.
CraigJS

Post by CraigJS »

I like the dot at the POI. Others that I shoot with set them up the same way. A 4 MOA dot at 25yards is about 1" dia, at 50' they are about 3/4" very close to the 10 ring size on B-2 and B-3, 50' targets. If I shoot at any other targets with my pistol I don't have to guess where the rounds will hit ( within decent length shots). What setting you use is personal preference, but useing the lowest setting that is clear and easy see is usually the best route..
CraigJS
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I switched to an 8 moa dot (from a 4 moa) and I like it. I find that it reduces perceived movement of the dot. I tried a 2 moa dot and did not like it at all. Using a red dot is no different than iron sights in that you need to ignore the movement of the dot. Trying to precisely center it in the bull will lead to jerking the trigger and other bad habits.

Fred
wra

Post by wra »

I prefer the smallest dot I can get, and I aim at POI (X-ring).

When shooting 50 foot indoors, the dot is turned down to a 1 or 2 intensity. Outdoors in bright daylight it goes anywhere from 6 to 8 on a 1" 4-dot UltraDot.

I never use the larger dots on the 4-dot scope. But the smallest dot on the 4-dot is smaller than the non-adjustable UltraDot.

Jon
sparky

Post by sparky »

For bullseye, I like a 4moa dot and use a center hold. I turn the intensity up bright enough to see the dot crisply and no further...I don't turn it up so bright that it starts to fuzz.
xeye

bullseye forum

Post by xeye »

Mike T. wrote:You might get a better response to your question at:
http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye
Follow the links to the Bullseye-L Forum. That is the forum for NRA Conventional Pistol, which discipline does allow red-dot sights. I've never used one, but from extensive reading on the Bullseye-L forum, I believe you will find that just about everyone holds the dot in the centre of the black (to the best of their ability). There is no concensus on dot size and some shooters will change dot-size during a match, depending upon conditions.
Thanks for the contact.

I went. I confess i don't understand that site. Do they email you the discussion? I don't see messages posted like this board. (I now remind myself that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask)
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Do they email you the discussion? I don't see messages posted like this board
Yes, the discussion is emailed. The email can be in the form of individual emails, or you can select 'digest' format which is about a dozen emails sent in one batch. When you sign up, follow the directions to the options screen.
Messages are not posted on a board. In the past all the messages were archived on a server and you could get at all the old discussions, but the server went down earlier this year and they are no longer available. Pity. There was some good stuff there.
Fred
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I set my dot with two lines, one vertical and one horizontal. :)
For me, cross hair scopes work much better than most dot scopes...

In one match, I almost was completely unable to shoot at all, because bright sun washed out the red dot unless it was already on the black, even at full brightness setting.

Often, I see a smear where the red dot belongs, and since it looks different for different shots in the same match, I don't know what part of the smear to aim at. This is helped, but not cured, by making the dot as dim as is still visible.

Not the only one, but I have an oversize dot sight. If I set it in a rest, and move my eye behind it so I see the dot in different areas of the sight, then the dot is also in different areas of the bulleseye, moving more than the width of the black bullseye. Makes it real hard to keep all the bullets in the X!

I have seen several red dot sights turn themselves off entirely in matches. Of course the manufacturer will fix them, but that doesn't do you any good today.

I don't have any of these problems with a 2X cross hair scope. I even get a clearer picture of the target! No problem with batteries,

I adjust the sight for center of target at 25 yards. At 50 yards, I have to aim midway between center and the top of the black. This works well, because any shot where the cross is anywhere in the top half of the black will be at least a nine.

[No I don't shoot all X's even though I can see the X through the scope, my average slow fire target in the last several club matches is just under 93% - same as my last air pistol match. ]

- Benjamin
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Since you seem to be collecting opinions, I'll offer mine. It's free and worth every penny.

I like the smallest dot size possible and I want it set up for POI (the X ring, if I do my part.) Personally, I favor the 30mm Aimpoints as having especially round dots and very little parallax even though they're more expensive than anything else out there. (I know, all the manufacturers claim round dots and no parallax, but that's not what I see when I look through them. YMMV.)