TOZ repair

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ScottS

TOZ repair

Post by ScottS »

Does any one have a idea what might cause light strikes in a TOZ. The gun was cleaned well. The indent left by the firing pin is maybe .002" -.004" deep. I am using Eley ammo, it fires about every other to every third strike.
Thanks
dflast

Post by dflast »

Sounds like the classic Toz tired firing-pin spring. There were two in the spare parts kit with the gun when sold new. Larry Carter (maybe Pilkguns too?) can supply them if you don't have any spares. Another Larry ("funtoz" on this forum) is using a Wolff S&W K/L/N-frame rebound spring as a substitute in his, seems to work perfectly well.

-David
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Do you have the same problem with other brands of ammo? I have had a lot of failures to fire with Eley in my Toz. I have found that Eley rim thickness is only 0.039-.041 in, while most other 22 ammo is .041-.045.
I bought a Sinclair 22 rim thickness gauge and now sort all my 22 cartridges by rim thickness.

Fred
marcialvs

TOZ FAILURE

Post by marcialvs »

BELIVE ME ONLY THAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS CHANGE SPRING INSIDE FIRING-PIN BUT NOT SAME LIKE NEW ONE, YOU NEED ONES WHIT TWO RINGS MORE AND .010 MORE THICK CALIBER WIRE OF SPRING (THICK INSIDE, NOT OUT SIDE). ANATOLY PIDDUBYINN, COACH OF ALEXANDER MELENTIEVE IN 80`S, TEACH ME ALL SECRETS TO REPAIR TOZ AND MC55. IF YOU CANT GET ONE SPRING CONTACT TO ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU ONE, I SEND TO MAKE A SPECIAL SPRING AND I HAVE 3 FEETS OF THIS KIND OF SPRING. MY E-MAIL IS: MARCIALVS@HOTMAIL.COM
Brian Zins

Post by Brian Zins »

It does sound like the firing pin spring, howeveer they may be something to the Eley ammo issue as well. In Germany at a World Cup I had several light strikes and brass that woul not extract from the chamber. Talked to Rupert from Eley and he said that they had heard a lot from others who had the same lot # I had. Eley does not make there brass they buy it from someone else. Try some other ammo but I would also go ahead and change that spring.
deleted1

TOZ FP

Post by deleted1 »

While I would not argue with Brian, (just admire his shooting skills) I would look carefully at the tip of the striker---I had similar problems with my first TOZ and the only solution was to replace the striker and the striker spring. If you have the spares kit start with the spring and then go to the striker if the problem persists. Don Nygord (RIP) reamed out the chamber a tad for me and I had no further loading or extraction problems.