Ap Daisy 717 or 747 vs IZH-46M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

Got a question for you folks. I am going to take up shooting air pistol. I dont want to spend $1000 for a walther or steyr etc. So after doing some searching i have to down to the IZH-46m or either the daisy 717 or the 747. If I can located a izh-46m they run around $300 where as the daisy' are about half of that. Any thoughts on which way i should go. Looking for opinions from folks who have shot both. I am intereste4d in 10m target shooting. Thanks for any help

Ross
sparky

Post by sparky »

Izh-46M is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the Daisys. Well worth the premium over them. The trigger pull is significantly better. As crude as the grips on the Izhs are, they're still better than on the Daisys. I also find them easier to pump without shifting my grip too.
TomF

Post by TomF »

IZH!

I have shot dozens of Daisys but have never bought one, and never will.

I own two IZH, one Morini, and one Aeron B98.

All IZH grips are a 2x4's and need to be shaped. I have never seen anyone shoot an IZH without shaping the grip. We have about 40 of them at our club shooting 10m and AP Silhouette. Nobody shoots Daisy's except to qualify for the IHMSA Internationals in Production Class.

I shot my first IZH in 10m. But they are now dedicated to AP Silhouette, one as a backup with scope and the other set up with Martens peep sights and taco front sight tube. Very accurate iron sights.

IZH are great!
Bill177

Info about the IZH-46 here:

Post by Bill177 »

cdf

Post by cdf »

If after a while you want to upgrade the grips on your IZZY , Airguns of Arizona makes a nicer looking aftermarket grip set . By the way , go with the Izzy .

Chris
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

The edge goes to the IZH, unless you are really strapped for cash. The Daisy has a poor trigger, which can be improved by judicious work. The stock sights are abominable. The rear sight on mine would shift if bumped, like setting the gun on the table stress. There is a fix that mounts a better rear sight on it, but at that point you will have spent as much as you would have on the IZH. The grips are plastic and not very anatomical. The balance is even worse than the IZH. The gun is accurate and will work if that's all you can get.

While it is true that you wont see anyone seriously shooting the IZH at national levels and up, it is not because the gun is defective. It will take most shooters as far as they can go. The disadvantage, beyond having to work on the grips, is having to pump it.

LArry
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

No contest here Zilla - the IZH-46M by a wide margin
Randolph
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

In football they call this piling on. Don't waste your time or money on the Daisy. The IZH-46M is far superior. The ergonomics of the Daisy are terrible and you can't do anything about it, whereas you can work with the Izzy grip.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

Steve Corcoran of Blood Red Bows made a beutiful grip for my 46.IMHO it rivals a Morini grip
scout18

Post by scout18 »

IZH!!!

I have shot both and still have my Izzy. I like the pump. I am less likely to rush my shot with it. Not saying I would not take a CA or CO2 gun if it were ofedred. (anyone?) If you are just starting out in AP and intend to stay with it, get the Izzy. Work on the grips if you need too. If you take too much off you can putty it back on and start over. Learn what you like, then if you are still onto it save your money and get a "better" pistol that you don't have to pump. Ask questions, search the archives, get clarifications on stuff you don't understand. Good luck and happy shooting.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Nice thing too about the IZH, is that you can sell it at a minimal loss if you decide 10m AP is not for you. They're very popular new AND 2nd hand.

I own a 717 (bought mainly as a basement firearms trainer) and have shot matches at a club level as well as some postal. It's adequate to get you going, but if I were to get AT ALL serious, I'd go with the IZH. I've fired them as well as several high-end guns, and the IZH is IMO just a somewhat cruder version of high-ends. WELL WORTH the 1/4 - 1/5 price of the other guns. It's got the "guts" to shoot with the best of them. Just not all the balance, ergonomics, and adjustment-type features that make for a perfect fit. Though I'm sure it is a "perfect fit" for some.

So yeah, unless you're really strapped for cash, go with the IZH. And if 3 months from now you lose interest and want to sell it.... Umm.... Drop me a PM! :)

Though I'm sure you'll enjoy it. An addictive hobby!
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

Thanks for all the response folks! Needless to say I will pile on too and will go with the Izzy.

MSc..lose interest hmmm that may be tough I love to shoot. Just new to the whole pistol thing

Thanks again for all of your comments and I appreciate the first hand accounts from folks who have shot both. Helped me to make up my mind

Ross