Flooring for Air Hall

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jack Burch

Flooring for Air Hall

Post by Jack Burch »

What is your preference on flooring between the firing line and the targets in an Air Hall.

Things I need to know are: Color, Type of Flooring (ie: Vinyl, Ceramic, Concrete), Satin or Gloss Finish. I am sure that there are other considerations I have not thought of.

Thanks!!!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Jack:

Neutral reflectivity, but smooth (to aid cleaning/lead control).

Honestly, I have seen plain old polished concrete (not waxed, just polished with increasingly smooth scrubber pads and some water after setting) that beats the fancy and expensive epoxy and other industrial floor treatments.

After using the polished concrete for a while, you can always etch it and then add some fancy coatings.

(If you insist on spending a lot of money, the US Navy (Port Hueneme in California) evaluates industrial flooring for the DoD (or at least they did when I was on active duty) and they used to publish reports in the public domain on what flooring treatments work best in various conditions.)

Shoot me an Email off line if you have specific questions/issues.

Steve
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Jack,

while 6.3.15.4 gives some indications, but there can be an enormous difference between a glare-ridden range and a black hole of Calcutta, which both can comply with the rule.

Best (I have an opinion based on shooting on, judging at, setting up, etc. various 10m ranges around the world) is when the floor comes close to matching the background area behind the targets AND the background area truly is '...a non-reflecting, light even neutral color...'

A dark floor soaks up light, making the targets at +1500 lux seem too glarey - it's the comparison that makes the difference.

Spencer C
Jack Burch

Post by Jack Burch »

Thanks Spencer.

What color of background works the best?

Jack
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Ah! Now you are getting to personal preferences, but I would suggest a light beige works best, and offends nobody.

Spencer C