Mayton Shooting System

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Jack Burch

Mayton Shooting System

Post by Jack Burch »

Has anyone shot on the Mayton electronic shooting system?

If so your impressions.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

I saw their display at the Munich World Cup this last spring. It is an interesting concept. However, I don't know if it is ISSF approved for use at a World Cup event.

The Chief of the Pistol Jury was from Norway. He told me that they had looked into the Mayton targets but I don't think they bought them. They were told by Mayton that they didn't care if they ever got ISSF certification as they were selling plenty of their targets without it.

I don't remember everything about the targets, but I seem to remember some concern about how to place a record backer behind the target.

Having seen a few different systems, I still like the SIUS for the versatility and for the ability to have instant results through the central ranking system. However, that is my own opinion. Other folks might have other opinions.

Hope your plans for a range are going well and that all will be smooth sailing.
Marc
Jack Burch

Post by Jack Burch »

Marc,

Thanks for your reply. All is moving forward here.

ISSF only requires that Suis is used for World Cup Finals so no matter what system we use for the match we have to use Suis for the finals on all rifle and pistol matches. It also appears that the Mayton system has central ranking and instant results. The most interesting thing about the Mayton is the lack of required expendibles. For the Suis system these are very expensive.

Anyway we are looking at alteratives before we take the plunge.

Thanks again!!
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Jack,
I think the problem with Mayton is when a shot value is disputed. I'm pretty sure that this is why these targets are not even allowed for the qualification part of the match. Basically, you are shooting through a light curtain. You can't retrace the path of the bullet through space without some sort of moving paper or rubber backer that reccords the location of the projectile.

I could be mistaken in this assumption.

Marc
Jack Burch

Post by Jack Burch »

Marc,

You could be correct. I have looked at the Suis system and noticed the roll of paper that moves behind the target face. If a shot value is disputed on that system it appears that the shot can be located on the paper but how do they verify the accuracy of the shot value? I can see the left and right verification but not the up and down.

I am waiting on info from Meyton on these issues.

Thanks again for your input.

Jack
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

On SIUS or Polytronic targets, the paper moves a fixed amount with every shot. this allows you to plot not only the x axis, but the y as well. It takes a little simple math, but it is easily done. In fact, getting a certification from ISSF as being qualified in Electronic Target Control requires passing a test on these problems.

A course was taught here in the USA last year. It was taught by Gary Anderson and Duane Tallman. They spent most of one full day working out this type of issue. It is critical to be fully up to speed on this stuff if you are on a jury.

In Munich this year, one of the SIUS targets happened to get changed out without the SIUS folks being aware of it. When the Women's Sport Pistol event was shot, the scores on this target were being scored as if they were being shot on a smaller target. After the match, the moving strip was pulled and the x and y coordinates were measured and then the correct scoring values were applied to them to come up with the correct overall score.

There is no way I know of to do this with a Mayton system. That is why I don't think these targets are allowed for even the qualification rounds.

I've done this kind of stuff for a long time here in the US. I started out on these targets in 1996 in Atlanta. I'm not the expert that Duane Tallman is on the hardware issues, but I'm pretty good on the software side for both the old DOS systems and the new Windows systems. Either Duane or I could help you with whatever you want to know. Contact me offline at marc.orvin@coors.com for more info.
Jack Burch

Post by Jack Burch »

Marc,

First let me thank you for your offer, you are most kind.

I see your point. My position is out of ignorance and I appreciate you trying to educate me. As we move forward I will give you a call.

Thanks,

Jack