Dry-firing with a Model 65

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Dry-firing with a Model 65

Post by Alex L »

I wonder if anyone has a similar problem to us.
My wife has a FWB Model 65 Air Pistol which she uses successfully in competition.
However, she is unable to dry-fire, as the rules state that there must not be any release of air or gasses during preparation time. It is not practical to go to a Safe Area to dry-fire and move back to the line during preparation time.

I feel that people who have similar types of pistols without a dry-fire mechanism are disadvantaged greatly. Buying a new pistol is not a practical solution. These pistols are still accurate, and can produce as good a score as my wife is able to shoot. (She shoots about the same scores using my LP10)

I have twice contacted the Australian NRC, suggesting an adjustment to the rules for these pistols, which are not used by any of the top shooters,
but have had no reply.

I know there are many of this type of Air pistol used around the world, and I wonder if anyone else has tried to overcome this disadvantage.
(Spencer, please read your emails!!)
Alex L.
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

i am curious how you might dry fire a spring air pistol. if what is being done is just normal operating sans loading a pellet wouldnt there be damage to the pistol? when i stated learning i was told never to fire without loading a pellet in as without the pellet the pistol would break faster.

anyway it isnt a must for the trigger to be cocked for dry the same effect can be had without it.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

It is OK to dry fire the recoilless spring piston guns like a FWB 300, 65,80 and the RWS 75s.
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

Alex L

With unlimited sighters, I can't see it being a problem that you cannot dry-fire in the preparation time. Do it with or without a pellet [ to save money? ] in the sighting series
Unless I am missing something in your post
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Alex
Just give your LP10 to your wife and then she can dry fire during prep time.
How often are you both shooting Air Pistol in the same detail? Given your normal match loads at opens there is probably very little chance of that happening.
The FWB can be held in reserve for the rare occasion when you are shooting at the same time.
Cheers
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

While this at first appeared to be a local problem; on reflection it must apply all over for ISSF pistol and rifle shooters using airguns without a dry-fire maechanism; so here is the gist of the reply sent to Alex...

In relation to your suggestion for a Local Rule (for lower level competitions within Australia) be formed to allow shooters with older style Air Pistols be allowed to have the same dry-firing opportunity during Preparation Time as those with newer type Air Pistols:

• Since the introduction some years back of the section of the ISSF rules dealing with dry-firing in the 10 m events, the matter of any perceived ‘disadvantage’ to shooters using pistols that are not equipped with a dry-fire mechanism has been raised, and re-surfaces occasionally.

An examination of the times allocated for the 40-shot and 60-shot events indicates that these have been formulated on an ‘average’ shooter taking 15 minutes for ‘sighters’, and 90 seconds for each competition shot.
Given that very few shooters at “…lower level competitions within Australia…” would utilise anywhere near 15 minutes for their ‘sighters’ phase, there is adequate time for dry-fire once the command ‘START’ has been given.

As holding exercises, etc, are allowed during Preparation Time, and dry-firing which includes the discharge of propellent gas once the command ‘START’ is given, I cannot see that there is any real disadvantage in not being able to dry-fire during Preparation time.

Rather than any ‘disadvantage’ from not being able to dry-fire during Preparation Time, the major ‘advantage’ of having a dry-fire mechanism is during the competition shots phase enabling shooters to ‘steady’ themselves, and/or get back into rhythm following a rest during the competition phase.

• While some ‘Australian Conditions’ have been introduced over the years, these have been in direct response to our available range conditions. Throughout, Pistol Australia (our national pistol organisation) has followed the ISSF rules as closely as possible.

Other than the need to accommodate range conditions, I would be reluctant to recommend any procedure that would further deviate from the ISSF Rules.
Too often, shooters who have been accustomed to special dispensations at ‘lower level’ competitions have found themselves disadvantaged by being warned or penalised when they encounter ‘higher level’ competition.

Regards to all,
Spencer C

ps - none of my air pistols or the air rifle have a dry-fire mechanism.
S