Feiwerbau AW93

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rkjg

Feiwerbau AW93

Post by Rkjg »

Anybody out there shooting the AW93? I like the looks of the gun, and trust the Feiwerbau quality. How do you like the gun and can a dot scope be mounted on it?

Rick
aRonin

Myopinion on FWB AW93

Post by aRonin »

Great SP gun! Love it!

Factory standard grip has funny fit, & factory LH Small grip is actually a Knill grip.

Re red-dot scope, you can mount a Docter sight. There is a funky mount that mounts onto the original rear & front sight mounts.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I have one and it is a fantastic pistol. The trigger is superb. I have not had a problem with it in a few thousand rounds fired. In my opinion it is comparable to the Hammerli 208s, maybe a little better. I don't have experience with other top target pistols for comparison.

I put a Black Machine and Engineering scope mount on it for a while and shot some very good scores. It is now back to open sights for International. The BME mount requires removing the front and rear sights, which is not difficult, but there are some small parts in the rear sight and I bent the pin in the process. Pilkingtons is getting me replacements (and spares for the small easy to loose stuff) but they have to order from Europe, so it is taking a while.

Best regards,
Steve T

Black Machine and Engineering

Post by Guest »

I undestand the new US legal model will have a Picatinny type rail for mounting scopes other than the Doctor type.
j-team

Post by j-team »

The AW93 is a superbly made pistol. But, why spoil it by putting a scope or dot sight on it. Scopes are for rifles.
Matvei

Post by Matvei »

It is a nice gun which behaves nicely. I think in 2002 championhip was shot with it. Does this satisfy you. I don't know why it is so few at shooting ranges.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Price. AW-93s are the most expensive SP on the market. Right now, as pricey as a Hammerli 208.

Not that I wouldn't like to buy one. MY big problem isn't price, but legal. You can't get one in Maryland unless it is approved for sale - and they want a sample for inspection. Which, being a private citizen and not a dealer, I cannot provide.
j-team

Post by j-team »

You can't get one in Maryland unless it is approved for sale - and they want a sample for inspection. Which, being a private citizen and not a dealer, I cannot provide.
What a crap law. My only suggestion is to move somewhere else!
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Unfortunately not too practical. When you work for the Federal Government as a flight test engineer (with 25 years toward retirement), there are few choices. California is worse.

Now, the day I retire, I plan to bid Moron-land a not-too-fond farewell as I head to Virginia or West Virginia at all possible speed.....

Post by Guest »

One not-too-positive sidebar note on the AW-93 has to do with the chamber. Two out of two units sold by our local dealer have had problems with really tight chambers, including my example. A friend owns the other example and this past spring at the W.C. and Ft Benning the Feinwerkbau reps reamed the chamber for her. It now functions quite well. My example has yet to be reamed, although the chamber has had quite a lot of intensive polishing in an attempt to make it function better. I'm hoping my dealer will be successful in convincing FWB to ship us the tools necessary to ream the chamber. It's a shame to see such a beautiful pistol malfunction repeatedly.

Oh, by the way... Cleaning the pistol can be a bit of a pain in the backside if you leave it in its stock "as shipped from the factory" condition. There's a little black plastic sheet under the rear sight which prevents the use of a cleaning rod without removing the grip. The fix is simple - just remove that chunk of plastic permanently and you can run a rod through the pistol with ease.
SZK

Message for Mike McDaniel

Post by SZK »

Regarding your response: "Not that I wouldn't like to buy one. MY big problem isn't price, but legal. You can't get one in Maryland unless it is approved for sale - and they want a sample for inspection. Which, being a private citizen and not a dealer, I cannot provide."

Actually, this is not a showstopper. I worked through this process for a Matchguns MG2, and I was able to get it approved (it is now on the legal list). I'd do it for the AW93, but I can't afford one right now.

Here's what you do: Contact the Maryland Handgun Roster Board. They will send you an application for the pistol you want to "make legal." You buy the pistol, and have it shipped to your local FFL. When the pistol arrives, bring your application to your dealer and they will send the gun, and the application, to the Maryland Handgun Roster Board. They will test your gun, and when approved, the gun will be sent back to your dealer. Entire process takes 3 months. Other than waiting three months, process is really simple. Not a showstopper. Only thing you might have to do is convince your dealer that what they're doing is legal. But this is easy to do because you can show them the letter from the Maryland State Police that what they're doing is legal.

Stan
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Stan - just out of curiosity, do you know what the Maryland State Gestapo (oops, I meant to say 'Police') are testing when you send them a multi-thousand dollar handgun? I'd be curious to know as I've heard similar suggestions about testing airguns here, only the police won't divulge their test criteria nor their testing process.
SZK

Post by SZK »

Hi Mark,

To be honest, I don't remember exactly what they were testing for. But what I do remember clearly is this - when I called the POC for the Maryland Handgun Roster Board, she said that the only guns she had seen fail were those that literally fell apart in the tester's hands (very poorly built, etc). The impression I got was that well manufactured guns by known dealers would have no problem. I had none.

In fairness to the Maryland State Police, they're just upholding the law. And I must say no one gave me a hard time. I just asked the right questions, learned the process, executed the process, and bingo - got my MG2 in three months. In addition, Maryland law (at least a year ago) required that a handgun must have a trigger lock available. That lock does not have to be integrated (meaning it doesnt have to be built into the gun). After I got over my initial irritation, I realized that for 40 dollars, I could purchase an external device that satisfied the law. I forget the name of it, but basically it's a rod (measured to your barrel length) that you put in the barrel, and it locks to a .22 brass that you insert into the chamber. Takes one minute to put on or take off. Given that I have a young son at home, I actually reliazed having this device was a good thing. It increases safety, and only takes a minute to take off or put on.

Stan
Walter

Post by Walter »

One point that hasn't been mentioned yet is that this gun is difficult to fit for someone with short fingers.
The magazine being inside the grip makes for an extra thick grip. If there was a gripmaker that made grips like the Hammerli 208 for it, where the web of the hand is cut out, it would fit better for these people.

Here is a link to a download of the gun's manual.

http://www.thomas-klix.de/Neue_Dateien/aw93.pdf
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Walter,

Not sure about your comments on grip fit for those with short fingers. My shooting colleague here in town is a female with a relatively small hand (I can't even get my hand in her pistols, and I'm on the small side of a Morini medium). She has no trouble wrapping her hand around the AW-93 and reaching the trigger. Mind you, she is using a Rink grip.
Skalman

Post by Skalman »

In sweden the AW93 is very popular. Mostly it's used in our national precision competitions (not an international sport, but the biggest here in Sweden). I myself have one and I'm very satisfied. I've tried ALOT of pistols and the AW93 has the best trigger yet. The open sights are also very good and easily adjusted without any tools.

The problem with the tight chamber was easily fixed by the gunstore's smith www.sportec.se while I was having a cup of coffé. In my club there's four others who shoots the AW93 and they have not had any problems with their chambers.

The standard grips are very big and most shooters I know replace them with Rink or Nill. I myself use a 7º Rink. If you are serious about competition shooting you should probably have to get a customgrip no matter what gun you buy, so I don't see this as any problem related to the AW93.

The critics here in Sweden don't like the quite straight angel, the weight (heavy) and the recoilreducing system that they say prolongs the recoil.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'll throw in a comment here... The AW93 with Rink grips makes a nice comfortable shooting pistol, and for the precision games like Sport Pistol I would think it to be an excellent choice as a result of its great sights, good balance and fairly hefty weight. And quite frankly, the pistol is a thing of beauty - a true example of fine craftsmanship.

On the downside, contrary to what others have posted here, I find its trigger to be sloppy at best. Please keep in mind that I like a distinct two-stage trigger with a very crisp second stage which ideally has almost no travel. The cam action of the AW-93 trigger unit itself (the parts directly above the trigger shoe) requires a lot of trigger movement to disengage the sear. The MG-2 trigger is fantastically crisp in comparison, and dead simple to adjust. I don't want to count the amount of time it's taken me to get the AW trigger to a point where it feels reasonably good, but it's been far too much time. But the AW trigger disconnector is absolutely fool-proof, one of the best I've seen.

A real positive point for the pistol is that it disassembles very easily for cleaning, and almost all the critical parts can be accessed very easily. Even the magazines are easy to take apart and clean, and look to be built to take many years of use. The finish is wearing off my magazines, but that appears to be the only sign of wear; the metal parts and plastic follower look perfect.

I'm not sure about the AW-93 as a pistol for rapidfire. I suspect I would agree with the Swedish experts who feel the action prolongs the recoil impulse, preventing a quick return to target for the next shot. I'll have to try it some more, but at the moment I'm really leaning toward the MG-2 as being a superior rapidfire pistol in terms of recoil characteristics.
xeye

Weight of AW93

Post by xeye »

Why is everyone saying this gun is heavy? The specs on the internet say it weighs 1.13 Kg (2.48 lbs). Isn't that about what the Pardini weighs?
Walter

Post by Walter »

It's not too heavy. It's perfect, with perfect balance. My gun has a glass crisp trigger setup and has worked perfectly without any failures in over 15k rounds. The grip just sucks, thats all.

If you want more info, speak with George Brenzovich in Texas. He has a lot of info on this.
xeye

how to contact?

Post by xeye »

Walter wrote:It's not too heavy. It's perfect, with perfect balance. My gun has a glass crisp trigger setup and has worked perfectly without any failures in over 15k rounds. The grip just sucks, thats all.

If you want more info, speak with George Brenzovich in Texas. He has a lot of info on this.
Do you have contact info for this gentleman?

TIA