What spares do you keep on hand ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cdf

What spares do you keep on hand ?

Post by cdf »

I currently use a Styer LP10 and LP50 , with a Morini in reserve . I shoot daily and will be participating in formal and in formal competition when possible . What basic spare parts kit should I keep on hand . I usually have an asortment of screw drivers and metric allen keys in my gun box .

Chris
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Chris,

This topic was covered in a recent posting here, but I'll do my best to provide a brief answer here. For the Steyr guns you need to have a good supply (like 4) of the 4 x 1.5mm green O-rings that are found on the nipple to which the cylinders attach (and also on the fill adapter). These things will go forever, then you'll pop a couple of them over the course of a few days, or at least I did! You should have a spare gas vavle, gas valve return spring and hammer spring, as well as spares for the O-rings used in and around the breech block. You'll likely never need them but just when you don't have a spare is when you'll nick one with your thumbnail when loading a pellet. Having spares on hand is a good way to guarantee you'll never need them!

Also, keep a tube of Crosman Pellgun Oil in your kit to keep the seals lubricated. Just a little dab of this stuff is required. You'll also probably want to have a tiny container of acid-free silicon grease in your kit. This stuff is available in your plumbing supply store. Just remember that it is NOT plumbers grease which is a yellowy-brown grease. The acid-free silicon grease looks just like clear silicon RTV sealant, without the nasty vinegar smell.

Oh yeah, don't forget the most important thing to have in your kit... A piece of wooden dowel to remove obstructions from the barrel. Shish kebab skewers from the dollar store work just fine, and you get about 25 for a buck!

I hope to see you at a match in Ontario soon. Or at least to see your scores posted in the LSBA matches held in many clubs around Ontario throughout the winter.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Chris don't worry you know I have spares for everything.

For the Steyr's just buy a couple of the spares kits these contain the seals, spring and valve. If you want to spend a bit more you can pick up a regulator. I get my grease from the dive shop 3M silicon grease most will give you a little container for free. As always you need all the tools to install the spares (spare are kind of useless if you can't change them). As you have a LP 50 you can always use that as a back up AP with the single shoot mag.

I take it this is Cris from KW

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:
For the Steyr's just buy a couple of the spares kits these contain the seals, spring and valve.
Richard - who carries the spares kits?

Fred
cdf

Post by cdf »

Hi Shrek , yes it's me . I didn't want to impose on well prepared fellas like you . I'm getting spolled up , "O" ring tools , hex keys , drivers , parts etc. Having it pretty well covers you from ever needing it .

I've also been practicing a lot with the LP50 and the single mag .

Chris
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I currently use a Styer LP10 and LP50 , with a Morini in reserve
sounds like you have TWO spares, that's twice as many as I do

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:
Richard H wrote:
For the Steyr's just buy a couple of the spares kits these contain the seals, spring and valve.
Richard - who carries the spares kits?

Fred
I got mine from Ray McDougall who use to own Airguns Only they may still carry them but I'm sure Pilkingtons could supply them.