Physical Training

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Chink

Physical Training

Post by Chink »

Hello people. I would just like to check how you people train for the ardous rigour of pistol shooting so that your aim will be stable. Is there some sort of combination of training exercises that I should go, like lifting weights etc?

Thanks
ruig

Post by ruig »

Since the start of my trainings - everyone says: never train with high weights. "Bodybuilding" is prohibited :) ;)
I do:
x50 expressions from floor;
Pause
x50 on press (flexion/extension);
Pause
x50 expressions from floor;
Pause
x50 on press (flexion/extension);
Pause
x50 curtsies;
Pause
x50 curtsies;
Pause
x25 tightenings;
tightening
x25 tightenings;

... running is very good too! 2-4 km... good.
Chink

Post by Chink »

Hello. Thanks for replying so quickly. Could you elaborate on that? What are expressions and curtsies? Sorry if I seem like a greenhorn, but I just started to shoot pistol, and am not familiar with the terms. Thanks.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

In shooting it is important to train both the body for the physical exercise and to train the cardiovascular system. As mentioned previously, running is a good way of doing that as is cycling, playing sports etc. I try to do three batches (1 hour each) of aerobic exercise a week and since I hate running and gyms that for me is badminton, football (soccer to you ;) ) and tennis. Three or four sessions of at least 30 mins each is what I believe is recommended and you want to exercise so that your heart rate is significantly increased. I believe the recommendation is to increase heart rate by two fold but don't take my word for it and make sure that is OK for you with your doctor (physician).....

Rob.
Chink

Post by Chink »

Right now, I'm actually more concerned about my arm strength. When I pull the trigger, my hand tends to jerk and then the shot goes awry, So I'm looking at exercises to improve my arm stability. Stamina is secondary here, I think. Once again, thanks for all the replies. Any ideas?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You might visit with a physical therapist for exercises for the rotator cuff and shoulder area. Dr DuVall gave an excellent presentation at the recent USAS Cach Conference, and his presentation slides are available on the USA Shooting website (under coaches conference notes).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Chink wrote:Right now, I'm actually more concerned about my arm strength. When I pull the trigger, my hand tends to jerk and then the shot goes awry, So I'm looking at exercises to improve my arm stability. Stamina is secondary here, I think. Once again, thanks for all the replies. Any ideas?
Just curious but what makes you think it's an arm strength issue and not one of technique ? If you can hold your arm 'on aim' for slightly longer than required for the shot release then I'd suspect it was you jerking the gun. Try holding the gun for a minute up against an aiming mark and watch what the foresight tells you - that is also a useful exercise tool.

Rob.
randy8745

Exercises for Shooters Book

Post by randy8745 »

Pat McCoy wrote:You might visit with a physical therapist for exercises for the rotator cuff and shoulder area. Dr DuVall gave an excellent presentation at the recent USAS Cach Conference, and his presentation slides are available on the USA Shooting website (under coaches conference notes).
The organization that Dr DuVall is associated with is the Altanta Sports Medicine and they have exercises directed related to shooters. They have a book available that you can buy from them for about $25 and if need some other exercise material. The website is as follows: http://www.sportsmedicineofatlanta.com/. It has great information and the material is more directed and giving strength balance to your body and not bulking up. I saw Dr. DuVall working on Mrs. Curso, one of the young women shooters on the national team, just before he gave his talk at the coaches conference.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Mr Stubbs has your answer. Your problem as described: "my hand tends to jerk" might indicate a problem with techique. Support your forearm and hold your sights against a distant blank wall. Dry fire. Does your hand jerk?

Speaking to members of the marksmanship unit and national team, general physical training is important. Many can have back and shoulder problems. If you are shooting pistol, you are holding your arm out and creating strains in your back and shoulders. You are selectively using muscules and need to relieve the imbalance in tension by stretching and general exercise. John Bickar commonly lifted his pistol with his non-shooting arm at the end of the match each match to maintain muscule balance. Key point: do not train just the shooting arm!

Also consider the physical stress of shooting outdoors for two hours, in any weather, hot, cold, windy. If you are serious, you need to have a physical training plan, mental training plan, and shooting techique plan as part of your overall plan.

I jog four miles, work with little weights, do a workout of crunches etc. four or five days a week at different times of the day. I am fortunate that some of the fellows I work with are physical training nuts.