Matchguns MG-2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ernie Rodriguez

Matchguns MG-2

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Am considering an MG-2 std pistol.Are most of the problems with reliability and functioning resolved with the current units?Thank you. Ernie Rodriguez
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Ernie-
I have a MG-2 that I got around Christmas time, and it has been flawless. It will accept any ammo that I put through it without a hiccup, although I've found Wolf's Match Extra seems to be the most accurate. I go to the PTO's at Benning and north of Atlanta at River Bend- you're welcome to try mine out if you would like.

As a side note, if you're thinking about Rapid Fire, you might want to consider the new Pardini's. You can dry fire five shots in a row with the electronic trigger model, which is a huge training benefit that the mechanical triggered pistols (like my beloved MG-2) just can't match.

-Ted
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

We have three MG2's now in our club, and they all work perfectly well, with all kind of ammo. All of them are early models which have been updated to snr. 15xx-standard. The only thing you should avoid at all cost is spraying the dirt down into the trigger mechanism, that gets you an instant machinegun...

As reported in a german mag last month, there's a rapid fire kit available now for the MG2 - that should be interesting if you are going after the 4 second series :-) And, btw, forget about that electronic Pardini, that trigger has never, doesn't and most probably will never work right...
Axel

Post by Axel »

Tycho wrote: And, btw, forget about that electronic Pardini, that trigger has never, doesn't and most probably will never work right...
Ehh, what?
SZK

For Tycho..

Post by SZK »

Can you elaborate on the updates you made to the MG2's?
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2

Ted-I go to the River Bend club every month.I will be there Oct 22.and I would like to see and possibly try out the MG-2.Thanks Ernie.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

So where are you guys getting your MG2's? From what I understand, nobody's importing them at the moment, since Don Nygord passed on. I do know that Neal Stepp is in the process of getting BATF's permission to bring them in, but that could take a while.

R.M.
Neil Foster

MG-2

Post by Neil Foster »

R.M. wrote:So where are you guys getting your MG2's? From what I understand, nobody's importing them at the moment, since Don Nygord passed on. I do know that Neal Stepp is in the process of getting BATF's permission to bring them in, but that could take a while.

R.M.
SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE??? And who will have the spare parts when needed? Stick with Scott P, or Larry Carter for service and parts on the lines they handle.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Cesare brought us new upper receivers in januaray or february 2005. At the beginning, the main problem was the insertion lever (the upper part of the feeding mechanism) and the magazine/frame - fit. the second problem was easily corrected - the mag seems to need some playroom in the frame, a tight fit will give you trouble with some ammo, when the overall length of the cartridge varies. The insertion lever was more troublesome, there were at least two evolution version, but the one we got this year seems ok. Haven't seen a broken one (or any other broken part) since then.
MG2 sceptic

My wall-hanging MG2 brake again...

Post by MG2 sceptic »

As you remember, for 1 and a half year I have been the poor owner of a troublesome (all are?) MG2. Jams, jams, jams . . . , and a broken BIL (bullet insert lever).

Yesterday the BIL of my very troublesome MG2 broke again. The gun has spent much time wall-hanging lately. It got an outing the other day, and after 3 jams and 40 rounds, the slide could not be brought fully to the rear. Inspection revealed the BIL (bullet insertion lever) had broke again. And a part of the BIL had dropped into the frame, blocking the movement of the slide.
My MG2 has digested 3200 rounds in total now (I do keep record). The first BIL broke at 2450 rounds. If the BIL is gonna break every 750 rounds....heck!
The importer was willing to send me a new bullet feeding "tray", or "cradle", and an new BIL.

When will the Walther SSP be available in quantity, you said? Mid 2007? Then the MG2 will get its retirement, or "faith". Repeated, very heavy blows from a sledgehammer that is...
dgédgé

Post by dgédgé »

there are two MG2 in my departmental competition(in france) and the competitors are many problems with our pistol.
One in rapid fire,problem with ejector, he change in the middle of the match for a FAS 602.
One in standard pistol, problem with introduction of cartridge , he change in the middle of the match for a Hammerli SP20 RRS.

And saturday(05/06/2005) , the first competitor make a club match with MG2 andhe have no problem in standard pistol.

wait and see !!

jerome
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Not surprising at alll---Morini ( Matchguns?) makes beautiful pistols with the necessary adjustments etc. etc---trouble is they don't shoot worth a damn. The infamous CM22 and the MG-2 are prime examples of his Inventiveness and failure to produce a reliable firearm. I was in love with mine---grips, trigger, loading---but after the first day was over I had disassembled the barrel several times to clear colossal jams---Nygord and Morini offered me a new gun or money back---guess which I took. I am not a Morini fan---the only Morini product I like is the 162EI, the rest including the 84E you can keep, I wouldn't want one in my pistol cabinet.

Post by Guest »

Man!!

Is there anyone else out there besides me that can almost feel a stake being driven through the heart of the MG2??
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Yes, the MG-2 is a hated pistol. Truly unfortunate... I love mine. And I have another one coming very shortly which will, I hope, be as good as my first one.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2 Problems

I sympathize with people who lay out large amounts of cash for a fine target pistol and it has many problems.One should not purchase the first model of ANYTHING-whether an auto,appliance or a target pistol.If,after you have researched the product,you still purchase the pistol-as I have done,there are a few other options remaining.Attempt a dialog with the dealer,factory(manufacture),pistolsmith or as a last resort-sell the pistol with an explaination of possible problems.My pistol has more than 4k shots through it.It has had an occasional jam-but NONE that required a disassembly of pistol.Carefully cleaning pistol and choosing reliable ammo goes a long way in reliability.The MG-2 is an over designed,over engineered pistol-no doubt about it.The worst thing about Match Guns company is there lack of communications with their customers.Cesare and the gang really don't offer very much help in answering technical questions and verbal support of their products.This is a widespread problem with this product.FWB,Hammerli,Pardini and Walther are all much better in this area.The MG-2 has many good qualities,and I am sure that the vast majority of these pistols function perfectly fine.However,if you are not satisfied with your pistol,why keep it?Ernie
metermatch

Pardini electronic trigger works 100%

Post by metermatch »

Earlier someone mentioned electronic trigger problems with the Pardini. I have a 12/05 model SP1 electronic rapid fire gun that has had 100% perfect trigger performance. First set of batteries lasted about 9000 rounds, second set of batteries lasted about 8000 rounds, third set of batteries have about 8000 rounds still working. Not a single function problem. The ability to dry fire 5 shots is a major plus for rapid fire, and one of the reasons I bought the gun.

Gun shoots Federal 711B and SK pistol match and all Eley flawless, and a few stovepipes with Aguila subsonic and standard vel.

Jeff
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

I've never tried to talk to anyone from Match Guns, but I have found their website very helpful. The 3-D views are great, and an idea that I wish other makers would embrace.
MG2- Sceptic

New hope for the MG2.....?

Post by MG2- Sceptic »

Mark Briggs wrote:Yes, the MG-2 is a hated pistol. Truly unfortunate... I love mine. And I have another one coming very shortly which will, I hope, be as good as my first one.
Oh, Mark, encouraging to learn about your positive marriage to the MG2.

Well, I got the new cradle today, and a new BIL (bullet insert lever) with a slightly different "head"-configuration.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH WAY TO KNOCK OUT THE CRADLE-RETAINING PIN?
From right to left, og vise versa?

Yes, the MG2 has many good qualities, I agree. If it would perform reliably, I would love this gun too!

And to "DEDEJE" in France: Now, there is hope! One of your two MG2s finally made it thorough a full 60 rounds! Ta-dah!
Let us hope the new cradle/BIL combo turns out to be the ultimate cure!
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2 Sceptic

Where do you obtain your parts? I have tried to obtain parts from the importer that I purchased the pistol from-but no luck. I was considering purchasing the Cradle and BIL -as a preventitive measure in the event of a failure.I hope the new pieces you instal in your pistol solves the problems .Thanks for help.Ernie
MG2- Sceptic

parts

Post by MG2- Sceptic »

Got parts from the importer to my country. In Europe that is. You will get replacements parts for free the first two or three years, I think. That is AFTER they are broken, I recon.

Try pushing a litle harder at that importer to the US.