Need advice on jacket , pants etc .

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

cdf

Need advice on jacket , pants etc .

Post by cdf »

I aspire to be a respectable rifle shooter , the concensus is that jackets are needed . What about pants and boots ?

Any recommendations ? Idealy I would like to shoot both prone and standing with the same jacket . One experienced competitor has sugested that I get a jacket big enuff to fit over a sweater and turtle kneck .

At present I have a Styer LGB1 , and I have a LG110 inbound ( probably about 8 weeks away ) .

My goal/ dream is to go to the Canadian Grand Prix in Feb. and learn something . I dont have any delusions about what I will achieve . I plan to do as much inter club competition as I can between now and then .

Thanks for any input ,

Chris

PS : is a mitt on the non shooting hand nescessary ?

Post by Guest »

A glove on the supporting hand helps a lot. In prone it will cushion the hand and wrist, reducing the pressure from the sling and handstop. Standing, again the padding is good, and the textured surface can prevent the rifle slipping. Some shooters don't use a glove with the palm rest on .22" free rifles, but all air-shooters seem to.

Shooting trousers and boots don't make a jot prone. Standing the trousers provide support to the lower back. A couple of years ago the ISSF considered banning trousers; the outcry form shooters was considerable, and can probably be seen in this forum.

If you plan on shooting any match that is run to International (ISSF) rules make sure that your clothing meets the requirements. There are strict limits on the thickness of jackets and underclothing. There are special shooting sweaters available, but to start with a sweater that fits closely around the chest and arms will do.

Hope this helps, Perhaps a 3-p or air rifle shooter can give a better description of the role of shhoting trousers.

Tim Slater

Exeter, UK
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I am mostly a prone shooter and I can tell you that a shooting glove is essential for prone shooting. I don't think anyone could take the pain of the sling and handstop otherwise.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If you aspire to the highest levels you will be at a competitive disadvantage without the pants, jacket, and boots.

Be aware though, that the rule for pants is being studied for possible change or exclusion of pants with the next rule book (2008 Quadrenniel). There is supposed to be a study being done including top level shooters, coaches, and manufacturers during 2005-06, with results reported in 2007 (leaving time for discussion, agonizing, pleading, etc befoer the 2008 rules are set). You may want to buy new boots and used pants.
sandy22

Re: Need advice on jacket , pants etc .

Post by sandy22 »

cdf wrote:
Idealy I would like to shoot both prone and standing with the same jacket .
I think in an ISSF match or championships you must shoot all stationary rifle events (obviously including all positions) with the one jacket.

Regards,

Sandy.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

I'm in the same situation, but I just shoot standing.

I will get the glove first, then jacket and last the pants.

I agree with this.
If you aspire to the highest levels you will be at a competitive disadvantage without the pants, jacket, and boots.
My 2 cents
mikeschroeder

Re: Need advice on jacket , pants etc .

Post by mikeschroeder »

cdf wrote: Chris

PS : is a mitt on the non shooting hand nescessary ?
Hi Chris

Since you mention the glove, and aren't sure you need one, is kind of leads me to mention another more obvious purchase. You really really (repeat) a kneeling roll. You don't mention shooting much 3-P, but the roll is the MOST important piece of equipment after the gun itself and eye protection. Your feet and legs will go to sleep otherwise. The glove provides the same protection between your hand and the sling stop and sling.

Mike
TWP

Post by TWP »

CDF and Booker,

About a year and a half ago we added boots and pants to my daughters shooting gear. After adding boots and pants her off hand air rifle scores imeadiately jumped 10 points on a 10 bull target.

As others have said if you aspire to be a high level shooter, not having the appropriate gear will handicap you.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

TWP:

No doubt about it I WILL HAVE the appropiate gear.

I am a strong supporter of "using the best equipment to achieve the best results."
hongirana

Post by hongirana »

Hi people,
it is most important to have the required shooting gear. But no one talked about the various international brands .. can any one will focus on this?
Regards
Hongirana

Post by Guest »

Kurt Thune, Mouche, Truttmann, Sauer, Monard, Kustermann, Stenvaag, will all make you a jacket and trousers that will fit you properly. The principle difference between each brand is the price.

I don't think that any one make of jacket is vastly superior; some brands win may win more medals, but more people may wear that brand.

I personally use a Monard jacket and am very happy with it. I have friends with Thune, Truttmann and Mouche that are equally happy with theirs.

Tim Slater

Exter UK
ScottNC

Monard jacket

Post by ScottNC »

My 2 cents worth as a beginning small bore shooter.
I bought a Monard jacket , glove, and kneeling roll, and am happy with the quality. These are the only jacket and glove I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare them too.

I think their website is www.monardusa.com
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Here's a winning combination for a respectable shooter:

*Tip* If you want to be good, just go for it. Don't waste time collecting equipment over a quarter of a century- you should INVEST in it all now so you can get used to it and know it inside and out.

-Sauer jacket and pants (I currently use a Mouche, but LOVE Sauer)
-Kustermann boots
-nice simple synthetic sling
-padded glove (whether you use flexible or stiff is up to you)
-undergarments without too much extra fabric (it likes to bunch up, amplify pulse and be a pain in the butt)
-socks that keep the boots from digging into your legs

*Another tip* Don't get caught up in small details - focus on the fundamentals and keep it simple and consistant.
IRBS

Shooting gear

Post by IRBS »

With two sons who shoot I can advise that good shooting cloths are essential if you wish to get the most out of the ISSF sport.

Cloths are cut differently depending on the shape of the designer. Find a top shooter shaped like yourself and find out which brands and models of clothing they developed.

You get what you pay for, the most expensive gear lasts a lot longer than the cheaper gear. Custom taloured gear fits and wears better than off the shelf.

Always buy the best you can afford. Buy cheap and you will have issues which may effect your development.

Top brands I suggest are Gehmann and Kurt Thune. There stock sizes work well and their custom gear is truly excellent.

Get a good ISSF coach to set you up or your wasting your time, money and bullets.

Buy the best alloy stocked Anshutz or Fienwerbaur Rifle you can afford.

Buy the best cloths and they last a few years. Buy the best rifle and it will last a lifetime.

Wooden stocks on new rifles are a waste of time. Modern woods are not the same high quality of woods used 30 years ago.

SK club ammunition is ok for practice. After you are scoring better than 580 in competition you need to use Eley tenex or other high grade ammo. After 590 you will be testing and matching ammo and rifle.
irbs

clothing

Post by irbs »

Forgot to mention its no use buying the best shooting cloths then shooting on multiple targets.

The cloths are designed to support the shooter in position for the full 60 competition shots without movement. Moving onto multiple targets is a waste of time.

Make sure you shoot on a single bull target with a target changer or electronic target. You can't practice or learn on multiple bull targets then compete onm single bull targets.

With ISSF shooting multiple bull targets are a waste of time and money.
IRBS

cloths

Post by IRBS »

Shooting pants and boots do effect beginners shooting prone on single bull targets. The stiffer clothing stops the shooter moving and acts like an anchor.

My son shot at the world junior championships 4 years ago. Of the 60 shooters there were 58 using pants and boots so assuming the gear must have some effect.
ksilver

Re: Shooting gear

Post by ksilver »

IRBS wrote:
Wooden stocks on new rifles are a waste of time. Modern woods are not the same high quality of woods used 30 years ago.
Olympic gold held by a wooden stocked 2013!!!

Stock material is really only a personal preference, although alloy stocks are more adjustable.
IRBS

why an alloy stock

Post by IRBS »

KSilver There are many wooden stocked rifles capable of shooting 600s and almost all target rifles are more accurate than the person holding them.

The advise to buy an alloy stocked rifle is based on the knowledge held by the newbie looking at the equipment. It is too easy for a novice to buy a second hand old wooden stocked rifle then later, realise they need expensive upgrades.

I note you live in Scotland so you do not see the change in conditions the rest of the world sees unless you travel. Alloy stocks survive the abuse of travel. Take a wooden stocked rifle in a dry winter, put it on a plane at minus 30degrees for 20 hours and take it out in a tropical climate of 35 degrees and 90% humidity, its performance will probably change. An alloy stock does not change.

So for the club shooter aspiring to shoot at international competitions buy an alloy stock if you can afford it. Then you will learn with the alloy and not need to upgrade.

There are wooden stocked rifles winning at international competitions all the time. The development that goes into those rifles can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Lets not pretend that novice club shooters can put that type of resource into their rifle, hence buy an alloy stock that is a good compromise and will last a lifetime.
Jose Rossy

Re: why an alloy stock

Post by Jose Rossy »

IRBS wrote: I note you live in Scotland so you do not see the change in conditions the rest of the world sees unless you travel. Alloy stocks survive the abuse of travel. Take a wooden stocked rifle in a dry winter, put it on a plane at minus 30degrees for 20 hours and take it out in a tropical climate of 35 degrees and 90% humidity, its performance will probably change. An alloy stock does not change.
An aluminum stock will not change due to humidity changes, but it will most certainly experience dimensional changes due to temperature fluctuations.
snapy050

Re: Shooting gear

Post by snapy050 »

IRBS wrote: Get a good ISSF coach to set you up or your wasting your time, money and bullets.
I dont think so..

I had typed here for almost half an hour.. An inspiring story.. But some pop up add came and by mistake I closed this page.. sorry guys God does not seem to permit me to post it here.. I am In no mood to re type it yet.. Hope to some time..

cheers But I still believe Olympic gold can be achieved even without a coach!