FEINWERKBAU 603-GOOD OR BAD?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BOOKER

FEINWERKBAU 603-GOOD OR BAD?

Post by BOOKER »

What are your thoughts on the FWB 603? I'm about to order one.
I know that the best way to go this days is precharged. What I like about it is that it has its own air source, no need for refilling air cylinder or co2. Another point is that it's not easy to find a place/someone around here to refill any air cylinders or buy a scuba tank, btw that's an extra cost.

Do you guys think this is a good choice?
What should I expect from it?

Oh another thing is that I'm still learning, I'am into the 460-480 mark, but still improving, I'm sure I'll broke the 500 mark very soon. So I want to work my way into the 500+ with the best I can get either the FWB 603 or any other that you guys suggest.

Thanks in advance for your support.
TWP

Post by TWP »

The biggest problem with the SSP's is that you have to get out of position to cock them in prone. You lose a lot of consistency.

The PCP guns will go 200-300 shots on one charge, a Scuba tank will last you a long time. We run as many as 7 shooters a night, 3 nights a week and I take a tank about every other month to be filled.

I'd be surprised if you had to fill your scuba tank more than once every 5 or 6 months.
mjfa

Post by mjfa »

If there's no other choice, only then I would go with an SSP. A 60+ shots air rifle match will take its toll on energy, concentration and accuracy from the cocking effort required with an SSP airrifle like the FWB 603, through the course of the competition. If theres no SCUBA aircharging facility in your area, you may check with the local Fire Station, paintball stores, use Nitrogen instead of air or even a manual high pressure air charging pump. You may save a few bucks now with an SSP, but sooner or later you'll end up buying a PCP.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Thanks for the replies!

TWP: I don't shoot in prone just standing.

mjfa: is the cocking effort in this rifle that hard?

I really don't think the cocking effort to be that bad in this level of rifle, but I know the less effort from the shooter the better.

I'm not in US, I'm from Panama so things are a little different up here.

I will do my work and see how easy it is to refill/buy a scuba tank around here, from what I've heard it's not that easy.

But I'm concious that PCP is the way to go this days, If I change my mind I think I'll choose the FWB 700 UNIVERSAL with maybe two more tanks.

Thanks for your help!!!
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I never had a 603 but did have a 600. The pneumatic rifles are a great way to get started. You might consider buying an older one. Say a 600 or a 601. These are generally pretty cheap used and can be resold for pretty much what you bought them for and you have nothing to loose by starting with one. Also, there is not a whole lot of difference between the 603 and the 601 in practical terms.
mjfa

Post by mjfa »

mjfa: is the cocking effort in this rifle that hard?
At 19 lbs cocking effort it is not that hard for a few shots, but when you realize it would takes over 60 shots in an hour and 45 minutes, then it makes quite a difference against the coking effort of a PCP which is meausred in ounces. I had a FWB 600 back in 1989 and remember it to be somewhat harder to cock than my older FWB 300S spring gun.
jhogema

cocking effort

Post by jhogema »

BOOKER wrote: is the cocking effort in this rifle that hard?
I don't think so. I.m.o., PCP is easier indeed for any shooter, but you'll need to be way closer to the 600 points before you can say that having to cock an SSP actually reduce your score compared to PCP.

Cocking effort also depends on how you do it. When you keep the rifle about horizontal and you pull the lever towards you, it's relatively hard. To make life easier, you can put the butt plate on the bench in front of you so you are pushing the lever down. Or when you're not that tall and/or the bench is too high, put a chair close to you and use that as a support for the butt plate when cocking. Then you can put your weight in...

Jeroen Hogema
veeshooter

Post by veeshooter »

My daughter has shot a club FWB 601 quite a bit and can shoot a 60 shot match easily. She is very slight and not very strong yet charging the gun for each shot does not seem to impair her ability to shoot it. She puts the butt of the rifle on her leg with the muzzle downrange and more or less pushes her hands together.

While I shoot a PCP I don't see her at any disadvantage with the 601, and she generally finishes the match before me :-)

vs
mjfa

Post by mjfa »

Well, just a question for all of you who recomended the FWB 603 over a PCP:
Does it makes sense to pay $2375 for a new FWB603 Laminated Stock, when you can buy a FWB700 Lam.Stock for $2465? http://www.pilkguns.com/masprlist.htm
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

mjfa wrote:Does it makes sense to pay $2375 for a new FWB603 Laminated Stock, when you can buy a FWB700 Lam.Stock for $2465?
From what I understand both of them have the same accuracy, performance, so they are about the same.
And it makes sense when it's not easy to find a place/someone to refill it, unless you have your own handpump or compressor, which is an additional cost.

I think it is just as jhogema said:
PCP is easier indeed for any shooter, but you'll need to be way closer to the 600 points before you can say that having to cock an SSP actually reduce your score compared to PCP
These are my two choices.
mjfa

Post by mjfa »

mjfa wrote:
Does it makes sense to pay $2375 for a new FWB603 Laminated Stock, when you can buy a FWB700 Lam.Stock for $2465?

From what I understand both of them have the same accuracy, performance, so they are about the same.
And it makes sense when it's not easy to find a place/someone to refill it, unless you have your own handpump or compressor, which is an additional cost.

I think it is just as jhogema said:
Quote:
PCP is easier indeed for any shooter, but you'll need to be way closer to the 600 points before you can say that having to cock an SSP actually reduce your score compared to PCP
Iam sorry for my advice, just disregard it!
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Thanks everybody for your comments they where very important on making my final decision so I just ordered a FWB 700 UNIVERSAL with an additional cylinder.

I found some guys around who have hand pumps, so I can refill with their help until I can get my own one.

It will take some time to get the rifle here (1-2 month) but it will be worth the wait.

Thanks again.
Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Good for you and excellent choice. Congrats.
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

Guys could you please tell me what these air rifles sell for in as new condition?
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Tikka wrote:Guys could you please tell me what these air rifles sell for in as new condition?
http://www.pilkguns.com/masprlist.htm

I hope that helps and give you an idea.

I should be paying something like that when it gets here, maybe a little less.
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

Thanks. I have one that I am considering selling. It was passed down before it had any real use. I'm not a big air gun shooter but maybe I should start. They sure look incrediable.