Steyr Grip adjustment Help!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

Steyr Grip adjustment Help!

Post by darticus »

Anyone comment on how this should feel?Should the bottom be snug on you hand?Any good sites to show correct grip position?Thanks Ron
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I assume you mean the palm shelf ? If so I believe it should only have light pressure on the hand when gripping the gun. Anything else tends to push the hand away from contact with the grip. I played around with mine a lot and that is the conclusion I came to.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Ron,
The other adjustment you will want to play with is the yaw and pitch of the barrel with respect to the grip. After you have adjusted the palm shelf and settled on a (preliminary) grip, assume your stance, close your eyes and bring up the gun. Is the front sight centered in the rear notch? If the front sight is too low, you will need to increase the barrel pitch. If the front sight is to the left of the notch, you will have to move the barrel/receiver to the right. Of course, the way you grip the gun wil also affect the sight alignment, so this is an iterative process. Don't expect to do this in one pass. Took me the better part of a year before I was satisfied with the fit of the grip and the yaw and pitch adjustments to keep the sight aligned.
Fred
darticus

The front sight is to the RIGHT of the notch!

Post by darticus »

When I lift the gun up the front sight is always to the right of the rear sight, so I turn my wrist some.Is it correct to do this or should the grip need adjustment?
Fred Mannis

Re: The front sight is to the RIGHT of the notch!

Post by Fred Mannis »

darticus wrote:When I lift the gun up the front sight is always to the right of the rear sight, so I turn my wrist some.Is it correct to do this or should the grip need adjustment?
Assuming your wrist is in its natural position when you observe the front sight to the right, I would adjust the grip.
shadow

Front Sight To The Left

Post by shadow »

Can I adjust the grip of a Hammerli 162 to elimnate this problem? I have tried to grip the pistol differently but I always seem to have less space on the left side of the sight.
David Levene

Re: Front Sight To The Left

Post by David Levene »

shadow wrote:Can I adjust the grip of a Hammerli 162 to elimnate this problem? I have tried to grip the pistol differently but I always seem to have less space on the left side of the sight.
If the grip fits you properly then there is only one correct way to hold it.

There are 2 things that need to be adjusted in relation to grips; how they fit the hand and how they fit the pistol.

While how they fit the hand can be altered to adjust where the gun points, how the pistol is fitted into the grip is normally an easier way of making the adjustment. Unfortunately there are some guns, for example the Morini 162EI, where altering the way the gun is fitted into the pistol is extremely difficult. Steyrs in comparison give a reasonably good range of adjustment. I cannot help with advice on a Hammerli 162.