compressed air reccomendations, pump etc, used best buy

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

compressed air reccomendations, pump etc, used best buy

Post by darticus »

Anyone know where to get the best deal on a filling system.Can you use a paint ball tank to fill an airgum cartridge?Newbie just asking.Thanks Ron
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't know about a paint ball tank but I'd guess probably so. The best method is get a scuba dive tank and get it filled from a dive shop. That will last you probably 6 months + and it costs little to get the tank re-filled each time.

Rob.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Darticus - be careful with paintball tanks. Most are designed for Co2, not compressed air. The best recommendation, as mentioned by another poster above, is to get a SCUBA tank - that will keep you on the safe side because most dive shops will make sure you keep the certifications/inspections up to snuff on the tank.

A bottle with 3000psi in it can be a nasty rocket if not taken care of properly. That's why I stick to a hand pump. For all the air that you'll use the pump works well.

Of course, you didn't mention whether or not your airgun uses Co2 or compressed air - they are very different. If it's a Co2 gun then the paintball stuff will work just fine (Black Eagle stuff happens to have the same threads as the venerable TAU-7 pistol if I'm not mistaken). The alternative for Co2 is a fire extinguisher tank. After all, most fire extinguishers use C02 as a propellant. If you go this route, make sure the tank has a dip tube or siphon tube installed to ensure you get liquid Co2 off the bottom of the tank, rather than gaseous Co2 off the top.
rheyl

filling dive tanks

Post by rheyl »

i used to scuba dive in the 80's so i still have 3 of my properly stored 80cf dive tanks. I took one out of retirement, and took it to my local fire equipment supply and got it hydroed and refilled for only $30. What a deal, and i didnt even have to show my c-card. The tank i took in was still in excellent condition even tho last time it was hydroed was in '84 :/ Now i just need to determin how long 1 tank will last refilling the cylinder for my Steyr LP2.

Robert
darticus

Re: filling dive tanks

Post by darticus »

Do you need a special gauge for a tank for lp10?Ron
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Ron,
On the Pilkguns Website Index page (the page on which you would usually select TargetTalk), select Shooters Omnibus. There you will find Scott's article on Compressed Air Useage. Well worth reading.
The answer to your quetion is no. The Steyr LP10 cylinders come with a built in gauge. Dive shops will not fill a SCUBA tank over 200 bar (3000psi), which is the max pressure or an LP10.

Fred
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Fred Mannis wrote:Ron,
On the Pilkguns Website Index page (the page on which you would usually select TargetTalk), select Shooters Omnibus. There you will find Scott's article on Compressed Air Useage. Well worth reading.
The answer to your quetion is no. The Steyr LP10 cylinders come with a built in gauge. Dive shops will not fill a SCUBA tank over 200 bar (3000psi), which is the max pressure or an LP10.

Fred
A couple of corrections, the older LP10 cylinders don't have gauges built in, don't know about the LP2. Normal Scuba tanks are 230 bar but you can also get 300 bar tanks. I use a 230 bar and that lasts me about 6 or 9 months shooting 3 or 4 times a week with my LP10 and LP5. I will let mine go down to about 130 - 140 bar before refilling as much lower than that and you can only get a single shoot (60 shot comp) out of the guns before refilling - and my LP5 is slightly more air hungry.

Rob.