Ransom Resting Morini 84E - clamping the barrel ok?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian James

Ransom Resting Morini 84E - clamping the barrel ok?

Post by Brian James »

I’m planning on doing some Ransom Rest testing this weekend with my free pistol, a Morini 84E, and wonder if I clamped the barrel into the gun would be an adequate way of testing the gun.

I would ideally like to put the receiver in the Ransom Rest but given the 84E’s design, I don’t see how it would be a realistic option (i.e. electronics in the grip, and I need a way to break the light sensor in the trigger every shot).

Lastly, at 50m, what is a realistic group to achieve with a good barrel. Should the gun be able to aprox. replicate the test target that comes with the gun, or hold X ring, or 10ring.

Thanks

Brian
PaulT

Testing CM84e

Post by PaulT »

Think I have posted on this before, some new info in below.

Eley test in Birmingham, UK clamp barrel into massive vice, weight is 1-2 tonnes. They use brass jaws to the vice so no marks.

Lapua test in Berlin, Germany (S&K). They don’t have a pistol test rig but my team mate took his wooden rig (block of hardwood with hole, cut into 2 and then barrel is clamped in). We use this rig in the UK Bisley. It is OK.

You should expect best batches to provide 10 shot groups of below 17mm diameter and 40 shot groups well within 25mm.

We found Tenex/Match EPS very batch sensitive and in our cases (five 84e have been tested with results I have seen) all selected batches were from machine 4 and some had runners runners-up from machine 1. The machine number is 1st number in the sequence of numbers in the batch.

Lapua was less variable between batches with all tested batches of Midas and Pistol King impressing. For training ammunition, Pistol King is good value for money. For indoor short-distance training at say 20m-25m, we got some very impressive results with S&K magazine/Lapua Club etc.

No data on RWS.

If you use a compensator, make sure you test with this on!

Don’t spend too much time testing to compromise the shooting. The 10 ring is a massive 50mm so a sub 22mm ammunition group will really help.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Brian - I got thinking about your earlier comment on not being able to fire the gun if just the receiver is clamped in the rest. If you slide the receiver far forward in the clamping blocks it should work to get your finger on it. The Ransom "mechanical finger" I dont' think is wide enough to block the light beam, unless you put a piece of electrical tape or similar on it. Alternatively you could clamp the gun further back in the blocks and use a wooden pencil from below to trigger it.