flying with air pistols

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

lucky

flying with air pistols

Post by lucky »

any horror stories from shooters who attended nationals and had any or no problems with their gun and air cylinders.I will attend next year first time and want to get ready in advance to drive no hassles or fly and ger upset.
anschutzshooter

Post by anschutzshooter »

I haven't flown with my air rifle since I went to Colorado Springs in 2003. I had absolutely no problems with flying with the gun itself...the only issue I had was that my equipment bag was overweight (how embarassing moving equipment to other bags at the check in counter to make the bag 50lbs.). The equipment bag cleared my home airport, but leaving Colorado it somehow was too heavy. Anyways. A lot can change in a year from now with travelling with rifles. I've heard horror stories...mainly ones I've read on here.

When I went to Ft. Benning this year I just drove. Didn't want to even bother with it...my luck they wouldn't have let it go and I wouldn't have time to drive. For me it was cheaper to drive anyways (back BEFORE gas was over $3/gallon). I didn't have to pay for the airline ticket then a rental car...I just drove straight through the 14 hour drive there.

But like I said before...the last time I flew with my air rifle was in 2003 and I'm sure things are changing everyday depending on where you're flying out of. If I were you...I would try to talk to people at the actual airport that you'll be flying out of to make sure. I'm sure things/people differ depending on specific airports. Not sure how much this helped...but good luck at the nationals and remember to have fun!
Air Gun Coach

Flying With Air Guns

Post by Air Gun Coach »

http://www.usashooting.com/news/NewsView.cfm?id=256

Airgun Cylinder Presentation to TSA
30 November, 2005

Increasing incidents regarding TSA officials challenging
shooters who carry air cylinders on to airplanes has led
USA Shooting to take an active roll in changing this
regulation. USA Shooting has published the presentation
being brought to TSA for our members to use as a reference
when approaching your own, local politicians.

Please note that this file is large. If you are on a dial-up, it
could take a long time to download.

Presentation to TSA on Air Cylinders - 1.7 MB
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

My daughter flew from Albany, NY to Nashville for the Air Rifle matches in Bowling Green, KY at the end of June. Based on what we had heard, I shipped her cylinder to the hotel. When she checked in at the airport, the TSA guy was adamant that he would not allow the air rifle to fly if the cylinder was included, so shipping it was the way to go.

I've read the USAShooting presentation. Let's hope it has the desired effect.