Pistol loading

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
p7willm

Pistol loading

Post by p7willm »

I have an Aeron B98 and it is a pain to load single shot.

In order to reload for a single shot you have to remove the pellet carrier from the gun. Now you have the gun in one hand, the carrier in the other, and the pellet in your mouth ;-) So you have to put the gun down, stick the pellet in the carrier, pick up gun, stick the carrier in and shoot.

Do other guns require you to put it down between shots? It would seem better to be able to get a good grip on the gun and keep that grip while you are loading.

Of course the B98 is nice when I am in the basement and I can load 5 shots into it.

And another question. I have found a few brands of pellets that do not appear to fit. You stick the pellet in the carrier, one or five, and some of them appear to be a hair too long. They stick out of the back just a hair and in order to put the carrier into the gun you would have to slice the back of the pellet off as you jam it in. Do other guns have this problem?

Peter
RobStubbs

Re: Pistol loading

Post by RobStubbs »

p7willm wrote: Do other guns require you to put it down between shots? It would seem better to be able to get a good grip on the gun and keep that grip while you are loading.

Of course the B98 is nice when I am in the basement and I can load 5 shots into it.

And another question. I have found a few brands of pellets that do not appear to fit. You stick the pellet in the carrier, one or five, and some of them appear to be a hair too long. They stick out of the back just a hair and in order to put the carrier into the gun you would have to slice the back of the pellet off as you jam it in. Do other guns have this problem?

Peter
You do not really want to keep grip of the gun whilst loading. It is far better to take your hand out and re-position for each shot, once you've loaded. I always load my gun (LP10) in my shooting hand then hold it by the barrel (in my other hand) and relocate it into my shooting hand.

My 5 shot pistol (LP5) is fine with all pellets and they fit in the carrier fine. I would only ever use match grade pellets but I would be worried about any of the pellet protruding out as you will crush the skirt and mess up the aerodynamics of the pellet. I would suggest you get some match grade pellets and stick with the same brand when you find some that fit the carrier OK.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

RobStubbs wrote: You do not really want to keep grip of the gun whilst loading. It is far better to take your hand out and re-position for each shot, once you've loaded. I always load my gun (LP10) in my shooting hand then hold it by the barrel (in my other hand) and relocate it into my shooting hand.
Rob.
Rob, what are the advantages of regripping for each shot?
I maintain the same grip for, say, 10 shots. Then put the gun down, flex my hand to make sure blood is flowing and muscles are limber, then regrip and start a fresh series. This way there's one less item to think about. Same goes for stance. Once I have established my stance and NPA, I don't change it until I need a break.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Fred Mannis wrote: Rob, what are the advantages of regripping for each shot?
I maintain the same grip for, say, 10 shots. Then put the gun down, flex my hand to make sure blood is flowing and muscles are limber, then regrip and start a fresh series. This way there's one less item to think about. Same goes for stance. Once I have established my stance and NPA, I don't change it until I need a break.
One of the points of re-gripping between each shot is to make sure you are holding the gun the same for every shot. If you load the gun whilst gripping it you will move it in the hand and it will not be in the same position. Additionally it keeps the blood flowing and prevents your hand getting too sweaty or cramped. You are also performing the shot routine identically for 60 shots - your method won't be since you re-grip the gun every 10 shots. It is very easy to grip the gun the same way and it takes only a few seconds to do. I'm sure there are other reasons that I can't think of at the moment.

If you observe any match (or watch any on he ISSF website) you will see that pretty much every shooter relaxes their grip on the gun before re-gripping it again for every shot.

Rob.