What's the best Rear Iris for 10m Air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

f1gpstar

What's the best Rear Iris for 10m Air rifle

Post by f1gpstar »

I'm looking for advice on an adjustable rear Iris for 10m Air Rifle. I mostly shoot indoors and have good eye sight or so I think, but I do find over a long period my eyes will get tired. I had a AHG 9775 5-color Iris but the colors didn't seem to help indoors since I always seemed to preferr no color. I was thinking of a polarized Iris? What is the differance between the AHG 9780-s and the AHG 9550?

Thanks in andvance
Bill
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I really like the centra iris's. Several of the AHG iris are actually made by centra. I have several of the ahg 9775's which are the same as the centra basic I think it is called. The reason is that they have a very nice little spring loaded plastic disk on the front of the iris that holds a blinder. I cut a piece of plastic or use a target and cut or tear a little slot in it and just slide it under this disk. No need to unscrew the iris or come up with some other way to hold the blinder. I would not get a polarizer for indoors. I have one for smallbore and have used it on occasion when the targets appear a little glary. I have not seen this in air rifle. Sinclair and Brenzovich both sell centra.
hongirana

Post by hongirana »

Hi pdeal
I would like to know how we can use the iris which has both polarization filter and color rings(10). Also i would like to know about when should i use the size of the aperature in the iris. some technical info.
Thank in adv.

Regards
hongirana
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I don't think the polarizer has much use for air rifle. I have one on my smallbore rifle and in a sense I use it like sunglasses for my rear sight. As far as how to set the aperture I try to close it down as much as possible while still getting enough light for a good sight picture. As I understand it it works like a camera iris and as you close it down it gives you better depth of field.
dgold

polarization filter

Post by dgold »

Hongirana:
I don't agree with pdeal. Neither I agree with the Anschutz catalogue that uses the polarization filter to eliminate the effect of the reverberation.
The use of the polarization filter as sunglasses, is the poorest form of using it. It is preferable to use the grey filters for it. The polarization filter should be in the first place (with regard to the eye), then the coloured filters of colours and then the iris.
The polarization filter consists on two glasses that rotate independently. If they are rotated simultaneously, any change it is not noticed. If one is rotated alone, the image is darkened (sunglasses use).
I propose the following experiment to determine the polarization direction of the filter.
To position the polarization filter, it doesn't have filters of colours. If we focus a potent light to the left (or to the right) of the front sight (plastic aperture ring), we won't see the ring 100% perfect. We rotate the two filters simultaneously, until the ring is seen as a closed and perfect circle. This way we obtain the direction of polarization of the filter. In air rifle or in small bore, we rotate the filters toward the predominant light in the stand. In 3x40 the polarization filter should be rotated a little among in each position (following the trajectory of the sun).
Excuses for my English.
hongirana

Post by hongirana »

Hi all,
Thanks for your valuable reply. I shoot small bore prone. But thinking of taking air rifle & small bore 3p seriously. I think this is a game of science (physics) and how a human controls and applies it. As a student of engineering I am very very interested to understand the various scientific rules behind the trends we follow in shooting. Please advice me from where I can get more info about it.

I want to master it and use it with along with my good body control.

I would like people to discus more about this.

Regards
hongirana
battz

Post by battz »

hi f1gpstar

Here is my two Pence worth

The iris is there to give you the best sight picture possible (as i'm sure all rear sight accessories do)

Here is how i've been taught to fully utilise the iris

firstly set up the rear sight get someone to help you slide the sight backwards and forwards whilst you aim so you can judge where it should be. ideally the rear sight should be in a position so that the space between the rear sight and the foresight appears the same as the space between the foresight tube and the foresight element (e-mail me if you need more clarity on this)

once this is done you can go on to setting up the iris do this by opening it out all the way (make the hole bigger) then slowly close it down until you see like spiders webs in the sight then simply open it up until the cobwebs have cleared

polarising units will give you most benefit outside and are really used to view a direct line to the target when mirage is about (look in the anschutz catalogue) i don't think that it would make much difference to Air shooting

As for filters you are always best to try filters to see which one suits you best

you might want to consider using a Blue filter - as this changes artificial light to natural light

Hope this helps

Michelle

batty007@hotmail.com