Anyboudy know of any issues with the Hammerli AP40

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Upgrader

Anyboudy know of any issues with the Hammerli AP40

Post by Upgrader »

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a Hammerli AP40. Has anybody heard of any problems with these pistols?

M
WSmith

Hammerli AP40

Post by WSmith »

I've owned my AP40 air pistol for several years now, and truly have had NO issues with it. (Having "issues" with equipment seems to be a very popular topic on the Forum.)

Now when I bought mine, the barrel was only offered non-ported and made of aluminum - a barrel material that seemed very odd to me, but has performed perfectly. (I infrequently clean the barrel, and then only with VFG cleaning felts.) I believe now the barrel is offered ported and made of steel. Because the aluminum barrel made the gun weight VERY LIGHT, I found that I needed to add the adjustable barrel weight assembly - and that I placed far forward. (I've also added weight to the polycarbon grip - but that's just me.)

As always, it would be nice if you could see and handle the AP40 before purchasing to find if it's right for you.

A CAUTIONARY note: I don't know how many AP40 air pistols have been sold, or how popular they are in various shooting cummunities. (Here in Kansas City, higher end air pistols seem so rare that I sometimes feel that I own the only one in town.) WHEN VIEWING THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF INTERNATIONAL MATCHES, AP40 AIR PISTOLS ARE RARELY - IF EVER - SEEN ON THE LINE.
Upgrader

I know what you mean. I am now paranoid about issues. Lol

Post by Upgrader »

Thanks for the advice. It was useful.

M
Skatman

Haemmerli P40 precharged air match pistol

Post by Skatman »

Haemmerli have a tradition and reputation for quality, however costly.

The P40 is rarely seen at major matches, but I know a couple of shooters in my community who are using it.
The P40 features a grip and gripframe made of black syntetics. Very few have found this grip attractive. It is more difficult to alter a cyntetics grip than a wooden one. I think potential buyers have found the grip undesirable.
WSmith

Post by WSmith »

The grip can be altered just like a wooden grip - Hammerli even makes their Hi-Grip paste in black. If you prefer a wooden grip, Rink lists one in their product line - although, the weight is much lighter than the original Hi-Grip.

(When altering grips in areas that require being restippled, order the wood stippling punch set from Brownells.)

Post by Guest »

[quote(When altering grips in areas that require being restippled, order the wood stippling punch set from Brownells.)[/quote]

Or use a #35 inverted-cone bur in a Foredom handpiece.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

The is the “old” AP40 and the “new” AP40.

The old Hammerli AP40 was actually made by SAM and very light, the grip had few reference points so a bit tricky to replicate grip hold. I had serial number 007 and shot about 1000 rounds through it, a team mate then purchased it from me and used it for about the same time before passing it on. I preferred my Steyr & Morini units. The was nothing fundamentally wrong with the gun, it just did not match the feel of the established brands.

The new AP40 is apparently made by Hammerli but I have my doubts as it still in part resembles the SAM with its new trigger but I am told by a reliable contact that this is not the case?? It also resembles the Hammerli free pistol and has many apparent common components. I was given the new unit to play with for a bit and very much liked the trigger and for a mechanical trigger I preferred it to the factory set Steyr (before our tame Steyr gun smith sorts it out!) but not as good as the feel as the Morini electronic. The new unit has heavier options and both old and new can have weights appended.

In fairness to Hammerli, their original fixed cylinder 480 has an excellent trigger and sights common to the 280/160/162.

I suspect take-up / popularity has much to do with sponsorship deals.

These are all very personal views. Always you try before you buy. Have fun selecting your new pistol!
Upgrader

Thanks all for the sound advice!

Post by Upgrader »

Hi All,

Thanks for the sound advice. I have now taken the plunge and opted for the Hammerli. As long as it is an improvement on my Rohm Twinmaster Top (which is a fine entry level pistol by the way) then I will be happy.