ANOTHER NEW POSTER

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

krukenberg

ANOTHER NEW POSTER

Post by krukenberg »

hi to all,

I'm not english native. I beck your pardon for my grammar and spelling witch are not as good as I want.

Actually my Federation make some big changes in the programation for the national championship.
I would like to know how is it gone in your country.
Now, they wil made some de championship, after regional championship. But they don't want to tell us the qualification point before the end of the second part to reduce the ammount of investissement.... Minus shooters, minus investissement :(

What do you think about this method?
How is it going in your contry?

Thank for reply;
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Sorry, I've read your post 3 times and still don't fully understand their new system.

what country are you in?

Here, there are dozens of types of shooting, and the precision events separate into two groups: US style and International style (US-NRA vs ISSF). There are also dozens of action shooting events that are different yet.

Many states have state championships in various disciplines. US High Power & service Rifle is a separate event from US pistol and neither are in any way related to smallbore rifle (US NRA style) or 50m rifle (ISSF style) and ISSF pistol is different yet.

Here in Arizona, US NRA style pistol (4 events) occurs at one time and ISSF pistol (5 events) on a different occasion (3rd weekend in November, come join us!).

Our National championshiips are similarly split up. With the US-NRA style occuring in the north at a place called Camp Perry, pistol in mid july then later in the month smallbore rifle then later yet into august high power rifle, while our ISSF style shooting occurs in june at a place in the south called Fort Benning with rifle and pistol occuring at the same time, Air Pistol shooting indoors while 50m rifle shoots outdoors on the same day and the next day, Air rifle indoors and 50m pistol outdoors.

All championships are open to all shooters (who are members of the National Association, NRA for US style and USA-Shooting for ISSF style.)

to the best of my knowledge there is NO minimum qualifying score to participate in any regular match in US-NRA style and none in USAS-ISSF style except for the final 10 shots.

(I believe in prior years a minimum score was required in some events, and some team tryouts have a shooting history requirement) There are some team events at the National Championships and often there is a try-out to qualify for one's state team.

So anyone with a gun can shoot his local club and anyone who is a member of the national association (and state association in many cases) can shoot the state championships and the National championships.

That makes it a lot of fun! you don't HAVE to be very very good to go shoot side by side with the best in the country! (and its a good thing for me!)

One weakness in our system is that we have soooooo many different types of recreational and competitive shooting only a tiny number take up ISSF style shooting and our olympic team does not have a large pool of shooters to draw from.

I "hope" this answers your question.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
krukenberg

Post by krukenberg »

Yes thank you for this anwer.

For information I'm french and think for a long time to take a plane and leave my country. USA give a maximum of chance to people who want to do something in their life.

For shooters, our sport is going each day harder. We can't buy some gun's because they have bad advertising (glock for exemple are very hard to obtain an authorisation).

And now they want to reduce the number of shooters for the national championship. I'm not the best of the best, far away from that, and I know it. But this change affraid me.

If we didn(t have anymore a championship, what will justify the detention of our weapon??? Nothing.
Alex L

Another new Poster

Post by Alex L »

Here in Australia, the qualifying standard for the Nationals is limited to the capacity of the range. You have to provide your highest score for they year, and the Organizers fill the range from the highest scores downwards.
If a shooter is entering more events he/she will get preference.
This is an Open competition - No grades.

Normal shoots, including State Championships are graded, - entries are accepted as they arrive, up to range capacity. This is for all ISSF matches.

Regarding problems with firearms - Our laws restrict magazine capacity, and barrel length. We are obliged to attend a certain number of Official Competitions and have a certain number of attendances to comply with the law. We are fingerprinted, as well, and have a State shooters Licence - handguns, which is not necessarily accepted in all other States. - not like a Driving Licence.
We have to keep the firearms in a secure safe, which is regularly inspected by the police, and our Club.
All Clubs are private, not govt. owned.
We are concerned that the shooting sports are being eroded all around the world, and the target shooter is not having a fair go.

I hope your French Govt realizes that if he wants to have the Olympics, he must support the shooters, as it is one of the original sports! Alex L.
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

Hey Frenchy with the Germanic sounding last name:

So you’re thinking about coming to America. About 150 years ago a Frenchman by the name of Martin Blum (yes, another Germanic last name) did just that. He landed in New Orleans just about the time of our Civil War, and being in the South and newly arrived, he figured that it wasn’t his fight. So he headed west and ended up in Seattle. He made a pile of money with most everything he put his hand to (he even went to the Alaskan Gold Rush in his old age; made a bundle selling hardware in Nome). Yes, America is the land where people can do something with their lives.

I have the Stevens 22 rifle he bought for his son after he came back from Alaska.

For all the screaming we do about gun rights here in the states, there are only a few areas where owning a gun is difficult. In most areas gun clubs are plentiful and belonging to one has nothing to do with owning and keeping any number of guns in your home. Finding a gun club that supports the international events is somewhat more difficult, but that is usually for lack of interest (and that is our fault, not the clubs’ or USAS).

So think about it some more. Come over for a visit. It’s only a plane ride away, much easier than sailing ship. Spend the extra bucks to come to Washington State, that’s the part of the world that God designed Himself (he subcontracted out the rest). Let us know and a bunch of us around here will take you shooting at our range.

Martin’s Norwegian/Danish/English/Irish/German/French/etc. Great-Grandson,
Robert Blum
BothellBob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.