need some help w/ front sight setup

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

milanuk

need some help w/ front sight setup

Post by milanuk »

Hello,

This isn't strictly speaking an air rifle or small bore question, but the sighting systems involved are similar enough I was hoping someone might have some experience w/ the pieces-parts and be able to chip in some advice.

What I have is a custom Palma rifle in the works and the front sight I have in hand is a Porter, similar to a Riles or Davis for those who know what those are. Otherwise, it is the one listed on this page:

http://www.okweber.com/order.asp?catid= ... t=1&page=3#

The reason for going w/ a design like this instead of an RPA is that the RPA is a little less stout in construction and more expensive to boot. Unfortunately, the Porter sight does not have any sort of barrel that is suitable for mounting a spirit level to. Considering the ranges this firearm is to be utilized at, I think a level would be a *very* good idea.

A regular clamp-on level like the Gehmann 591-22 won't work w/ the sight 'as-is'; nothing to clamp onto. I'd considered possibly mounting an anti-glare tube fore and/or aft and clamping the level around that... question is, would it work?

The Gehmann 598 screw-in level looks like it would be too intrusive into the sight picture for my tastes.

The Gehmann 581-22 radially adjustable level looks like it would work fairly well... as long as I screw my front aperature into the front (i.e. downrange) side of the front sight housing... not really what I was wanting to do, but if it's the only way to fly, I guess I can go w that.

Another option seemed like it'd be the adapters like 5022 that look almost like little threaded extensions for screwing other adapters on...like a person could stack some of these together, all on one side.

Anybody able to help out or suggest a course to pursue on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Monte
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Anschutz make a external spirit level that screws into this front sight. The bubble sits just above the front sight tunnel. cat #9503 (18mm) or cat #9504 (22mm)
Cheers
Martin
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Martin,

Thanks, that sounds about like the Gehmann 581 I listed above; I've been looking thru Centra's stuff as well since I'd heard that Centra is the actual manufacturer of a number of Anschutz's items. I guess what I'm kind of hoping for is some way to screw the level in, and then something else into it, such as a front diopter lense or a anti-glare tube etc. that I may want to use down the road.

I'm also wondering about the pluses and minuses of having a screw-in adjustable aperature on one side and the screw-in level on the other side... which end should be 'downrange' at that point?

Starting to think the best/easiest solution might be to just return this very nicely machined sight and spend the extra $50-60 for a RPA ladder sight, as I think the aggravation trying to do the hokey-pokey w/ this one is going to probably be worth at least $50 before it's done, especially if I have to order parts and try and mix-n-match the fit of one to another.

Any other takers?

Thanks,

Monte

Post by Guest »

Could you not use the rear clamp that holds the element for the level as well? I had my Gehmann 591 held in place by the front iris.

Tim S

Exeter UK
davidgoerndt

Front sight

Post by davidgoerndt »

Mike Ross makes a front sight. Not cheap. Go here to see:
http://www.rossprecision.com/products_sights.htm
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Tim,

Are you saying that you had the spirit level pinched btwn the adjustable aperature, and the body of the sight? I'd wondered if that would work, and if it would take a 591-22 or a 591-18 since that area is smaller in diameter than where a 591-22 would normally clamp.

Thanks for the info,

Monte

Post by Guest »

Yes, the spirit level was in between the foresight tunnel and the iris as I had an older Anschutz tunnel that was threaded only at that end. I'm not sure if this would work with a metal or plastic element, as the clampy bit would be further back than normal. Probably would with a hi-end, as the element is integral to the clampy bit.

As for which end to have the level on, I don't think it matters. I started using the Gehmann level at the back by the iris, then I switched to having it at the front after acquiring a newer tunnel. At the time I found this to give a better picture. Currently I have a tunnel with a built in level at the rear and have no problems with it.

Tim S

Exeter UK
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

What size is the Porter unit you have - 18 or 22mm?

Sandy.
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

22mm
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

Can't be much help so. If it had been 18mm one of the old slide in ones like this - ebay item 7168316853 - might have worked.

Regards,

Sandy.