Switching Hands.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Denis

Switching Hands.

Post by Denis »

Interested to know if anyone has made a serious attempt (or trial period) to switch hands (mainly concerned with AP or FP).
Want to know how scores suffered and for how long.
It may feel quite different to use the opposite hand, but the basics must be there already and not have to be relearnt.
Also these basics may be better executed given the strange environment.
Very interested to hear anyones experiences.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Denis,
I did think about it and did think that perhaps if I upgrade one of my APs I might get a LH grip (since I already have a few in RH that would fit). I have an elbow problem which sometimes flares up and I did think that shooting left is better than not shooting at all. It would however present problems with the shooting eye (i.e. you'd probably end up right eye left hand) which probably need grip modifications to compensate.

As to how far back you'd be and how long it would take to get used to, I'd suggest at least 3-6 months and perhaps a lot more to get to the other handed scores. So not something to do unless you have to.

Rob.
Jerry LeVan

Post by Jerry LeVan »

I am strongly left eye dominant, I first started shooting right handed but
never felt very comfortable. The pistol grip always had a gap along the
heel of my hand which lead to a bit of unsteadyness.

I injured my right hand and eventually had to have surgery.

I decided to try lefthanded for a while ( I am right handed).

Initially it was difficult mostly due to the lack of strength and
coordination of my left hand and arm.

I have been shooting "lefty" for about two years and it has been
only in the last 5 months that I feel that I am better as a left
handed shooter than right.

The grips fit much better (no gap).

If you are going to be a "cross-dominate" shooter I believe that
it is necessary to customize the grip to ensure that you get
a proper grip.

Jerry
Bob Fleming

Post by Bob Fleming »

I am slightly left-handed. My scores are master level with the left hand and expert with the right. I have always shot some with my right hand. I found it was important to learn to use the right eye with the right hand and the left eye with the left hand. Scotch tape is usually enough to occlude the “off” eye but a cut down translucent flip up blinder is more comfortable for target shooting. Shooting skeet or trap wrong handed is the worst and pistols are the easiest for me. Try it out and “see” if it works for you!
Bob Fleming
Southpaw

Leftie?

Post by Southpaw »

Hi Denis,

I switched AP to leftie a couple of years ago due to a shoulder inj. I am left eye dominant but when shooting RH found only a partial blinder, as suggested in other posts, was enough to switch my brain. I found LH a little clumsy at first but within a few months was matching my RH scores. My shoulder is pretty much healed now but I am fairly comfortable shooting left and am in the early stages of changing rifle to left as well. This transition is taking longer especially retraining muscles for 3P (kneeling and standing), but it is slowly working out. It may be more of a novelty with me since I'm just a recreational shooter.
Good shootin',
SP