Training/coach in Northern California?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rnemcik

Training/coach in Northern California?

Post by rnemcik »

Are there any qualified coaches or training classes available in Northern California or is leaning target shooting a stricly do-it-yourself proposition?
marysdad

Post by marysdad »

I've been searching the web for a club or something and haven't had much luck. Chabot Gun Club had a match last month, but they scheduled it on Mother's Day. I'm wondering the same thing.

Ralph
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Learning pistol target shooting is mostly a cooperative effort among shooters. There are very few active coaches, and few if any formal training programs outside the military. There is entry level safety and gun handling classes available in most places from NRA certified instructors. There is also some help for juniors in small bore from 4-H. Really good shooters can get the attention of USAS and get help, but in the middle where most shooters find themselves there isn't much. This a huge failure of the two sanctioning bodies in this country. We have quite a few shooters that finish basic pistol class that can shoot 60's one handed, but very few of them have the self confidence to jump right in. We desperately need basic competitive marksmanship classes. You will find fellow shooters to be very helpful. The best way to learn, is to go to a match and let them know you want to be a target shooter. If you can't find international style pistol shooting at the ranges around you, then you might try NRA bullseye. The fundamentals are the same for anyone shooting open sights. There are books. One of the best is the Army Marksmanship Training Manual. It is specific to the Colt 1911, but again, the fundamentals are the same. There other books and a search of old posts should pull them up for you.

Maybe someday we'll have a better coach/instructor development program.

Larry
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

funtoz wrote:This a huge failure of the two sanctioning bodies in this country.... Maybe someday we'll have a better coach/instructor development program.

Larry
One of the real problems with finding and training really good coaches is they are all originally shooters. They think...no, they know, they know everything already so they don't need any sort of training program.

The NRA has a highly regarded coach program for rifle, pistol and shotgun. USA shooting is a partner in that program.

We continuously work at improving the program. If you have some suggestions I would be happy to listen to them.

If anyone is looking for a coach in their area thay can also call me and I will send them a list of names and phone numbers of those in their area. While there are almost 1800 coaches (about 75% rifle, 15% pistol) you may need to travel some to work together depending where you live.

As an aside, if you want to learn about shooting as a sport you should be prepared to pay something for it. Would you expect your son or daughter to take music lessons and not have to pay for them. If you did find someone who would do that, you would rightly question the quality of the instruction. How about golf lessons from a pro? are those free? Why then do we expect that shooting lessons from a quality coach should be freely given. Shotgun shooters often pay their instructors quite well. Pistol may not be as bad as rifle, which is where I have the most experience. Just don't expect something for nothing.

BTW, Getting a RIGHT start with an experienced coach can save a ton of trial and error.

Marcus
703-267-1589
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Marcus wrote: One of the real problems with finding and training really good coaches is they are all originally shooters. They think...no, they know, they know everything already so they don't need any sort of training program.

The NRA has a highly regarded coach program for rifle, pistol and shotgun. USA shooting is a partner in that program.

BTW, Getting a RIGHT start with an experienced coach can save a ton of trial and error.

Marcus
703-267-1589
I can't argue with that, Marcus... and I had no intention of disparaging the program that is in place. It is a shining example of what can be done when USAS and the NRA work together.

I would like to see a course taught by certified (NRA?) instructors that provides a survey of the various disciplines available. A, this is what free pistol is all about, and this is how rapid fire is shot type of thing. Then a basic series on building a proper stance, grip, basic trigger control fundamentals and sight alignment, along with some simulated match shooting to give the new people the confidence and underlying skill to start competing. We have talked about coming up with such a course here, but our training staff is snowed. We are doing 4-day hunter education classes for the state every week from mid-July into September and sometimes later, along with first steps shotgun, basic rifle, basic, pistol, and home firearms safety classes monthly. We also do reloading, black powder shooting, and NRA instructor certification periodically. If we had the resources, we'd have a Basic Competitive Shooting class, and if the NRA/USAS training people came up with one, we'd train instructors and offer it. I can't help but think there needs to be something between “I wanna shoot” and hiring a coach.

I'm sure the competitive community would appreciate the sanctioning bodies publishing your list of coaches and where they are. And some day, maybe we could get regional training for basic level coaches.

Larry
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi Larry

I ended up copying your email instead of quoting the whole thing, and inserting my answers.

I would like to see a course taught by certified (NRA?) instructors that provides a survey of the various disciplines available. A, this is what free pistol is all about, and this is how rapid fire is shot type of thing.

ANSWER: That stuff is at least in the Pistol Coach's book, BUT I've only shot Bullseye, and watched (WATCHED) the Bianchi Cup. I've never even seen a Rapid Fire match on TV. Same with Free Pistol, but at least my NRA / 4-H class was taught by a kid who has been to Colorado Springs at the OTC a few times and I got to hold a free pistol.

Then a basic series on building a proper stance, grip, basic trigger control fundamentals and sight alignment, along with some simulated match shooting to give the new people the confidence and underlying skill to start competing. We have talked about coming up with such a course here, but our training staff is snowed.

ANSWER: Most of that is taught in NRA and 4-H Basic courses, but not all.

....If we had the resources, we'd have a Basic Competitive Shooting class, and if the NRA/USAS training people came up with one, we'd train instructors and offer it. I can't help but think there needs to be something between “I wanna shoot” and hiring a coach.

ANSWER: Heck, I'd settle for somebody adding to the NRA's little competition guide. It mainly includes NRA competitions, but could be easily expanded. The differences beween IDPA, NRA Action Pistol and the practical guys is hard enough to follow.

Mike
Wichita KS
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Check out the Coyote Point club (Coyote Point in San Mateo). I think they have some good shooters, and might be able to find an AP coach there. At the time I wanted an AR coach, so wasn't looking hard for an AP coach. But after what I learned from my AR coach...they are right, a coach makes a BIG difference vs going it your own.

gud luk
Gary
CA Bullseye

Training/Coaching Nor Cal

Post by CA Bullseye »

rnemcik:

If you’re serious about your shooting I would suggest that you make the trip down to Prado Olympic Shooting Park (Black Mountain Shooting Club).
They meet the first Sunday of every month for Air & Free Pistol (except Jul & Sep).

I live in Sacramento and it has been very rewarding, the coaching and match experience. There is a USAS Junior Coach in Los Angeles that does come up once in awhile to Nor Cal to coach.

Coyote Point meets on the first week end of every month. They shoot Free, Air and Standard. But because of range restrictions they must be finished with live fire before noon. That's why they meet on Sat and Sun, free pistol is shot first on both days.

CA Bullseye