sounproofing

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

lucky

sounproofing

Post by lucky »

i have a air pistol range in basement ,would like to also shoot my hammerly .22 cal in basement need info on simple soundproofing i can do to be able to shoot.22 also.i understand the nra furnished info on setting up home ranges unable to find same any help appreciated.ee you all in bejing.
thanks in advance
lucky
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

If you are concerned with looks you'll think this is crazy but I once heard of someone making a sound deadening setup on a range by shooting through a series of tires. The tires make like a BIG suppressor. If it is a dedicated range area you could hang some from the ceiling. It would be cheap and easy. It would not look so good in a finished basement though.
Ernie Rodriguez

Sound Proofing

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

The prior post describes,basically,a large silencer.If you understand the theory behind a silencer,and you have an unfinished basement-it is not too hard to construct one,and it doesn't have to be too big for a .22.Erod.
Alex L

Soundproofing

Post by Alex L »

I suggest using egg cartons. Over here in Oz, they are made from recycled paper products - they are a cardboard type carton pressed into shape to support a dozen eggs. There are some cartons that are larger, but more like trays.
These fixed to the walls and ceiling would help deaden any noise.

A more expensive option would be to use the perforated chip board - the ones with holes drilled all over them.
You could make up shooting bays with them to supress sound.

You should also have an extractor fan in the basement while you shoot.
Suggestion - something like you have in the bathroom.

Good luck with it. Alex L.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I shoot prone with my Anschutz 1411 in the basement and the only soundproofing I need is a pair of earplugs. My basement is fully subterranean (no view out), and no one can tell what is going on from outside the house.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I don't shoot .22 powder (just .177 air pistol and rifle) in my basement but some fiberglass batting in the ceiling and on the walls will do wonders for absorbing sound and insulating the rest of the house from the noise.

Also, use the sub-sonic loads to reduce the amount of sound produced.

The trap makes as much noise as the gun for airgun shooting -- I like the spring-backed plate traps as they reduce the sound a lot over a 'snail' trap in my opinion. Some people swear by the plumber's putty traps for airgun -- probably OK for .22 with the subsonic loads, too.

Best,

Joe
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I made a bullet trap out of a cardboard box filled with three-ring binders that were full of papers from my old job. Old books of any kind would work just as well.

Stops standard velocity 22 LR match ammo bullets w/o a problem.