prone shooting advice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Blah

prone shooting advice

Post by Blah »

hey, im a begginnner shooter that has been shooting smallbore 20yd lately. I have been using a "block" (rifle rest) lately so that i perfect the basics of rifle shooting (prone). I was wondering is i should switch from the block straight to shooting without a sling or is i should switch from the block to usinga sling and no block. Most of u will probably tell me to use the sling cuz that is what u'd use in competition, but i was thinking that if i didnt use the sling, that might force me to become extra stable.(<--u might not understand that but what ever lol). By the way, with the "block" i am shooting all 9 or above on a recreational target. my average grouping is prob about 3/4 of an inch(about).

thanks for all ur advice!
ksilver

Post by ksilver »

Shooting without any support will be extremely good ..... for nothing!!!!!!

There is no benefit in shooting without a support, and if anything may start a habit of lifting which you may take a long time to get rid of.

If you are happy with your aim and trigger release with the support in get somene who knows what they are doing to get you into position with a sling and learn to relax!!
Ken

Post by Guest »

Shooting from a rest is ok for the firts few times.

I shoot at a university club, so each autumn we get large numbers of absolute beginners who want to have a go. They shoot prone with the rifle supported on a sandbag for two reasons; it saves the time of setting up the sling; and secondly its much better than not using one. They can concentrate on aiming and firing without getting tired arms from holding up the rifle.

Shooting with neither a block or sling will probably not give good results. at your stage. In trying to keep the rifle steady you will exert far too much pressure with your hands, shoulder, and head.

The sling, when propely adjusted for you (this process does take a little time and bullets) will take the weight of the rifle. You can then concentrate on steady gentle breathing, aimimg and trigger release.

Hope this helps

Tim S

Exeter UK
TWP

Post by TWP »

The purpose of shooting off the blocks in the begining is to learn the basics like proper sight alingment, trigger control, and breating.

Once you've mastered (ok mastered is probably the wrong word we can spend our entire life and not master them) them you should start shooting prone with a sling. The sling and your arm create the support system, you should not be using strength to hold up your rifle in prone. The supporting arm should be relaxed. Trying to shoot prone without a sling will train your body to use muscle power, which is the wrong thing.
Blah

Post by Blah »

hi, i just recently found out that our club does not provide slings (dumb me) and that the only type of competitions i can compete in(withthe clubs rifles), is SPORTING RIFLE. The rules state that you are not allowed to use a sling. Later on in my shooting "career", i would like to compete in ISSF style competitions instead of sporting rifle, but im afraid that i might develope habits (good or bad) from sporting rifle that might screw up my ISSF style scores. So the only choice i really have right now is to compete in sporting rifle or buy my own rifle(for ISSF), which is gonna cost me alot! I was also recently asked to join our clubs JR. team and i would be competing in Provincial levelk competitons (ontario, Canada).

Thanks
Don in Oregon

Prone help

Post by Don in Oregon »

Blah: If you could contact me off-line, I may be able to help you with info from my library. Email me at: bawilli@attglobal.net for more info.
Don