Question on use of iris.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Spence

Question on use of iris.

Post by Spence »

I just bought an iris and had a lens made up to my perscription. Was the perscription redundant ? Could I just as well have used plain glass ?
Axel

Post by Axel »

Why do you want to use an iris? Yes, everything will get sharp, including the target. But that can actually be counter productive - your brain will get fooled and start focus on other things than sights.

/Axel
zoned

Post by zoned »

Axel wrote:Why do you want to use an iris?/Axel
Maybe if your eyes aren't 20-20, or they are over 40. If I don't use an iris, a bull beyond 20 meters gets real distorted, Free Pistol is impossible. How would you determine the point of aim at 6 o'clock when the bullseye is hazy and not round?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You don't need a clear round ball - a fuzzy black is fine. It doesn't matter about eyesight as that is the purpose of your lenses - to make your vision 20/20 (or near as you can). You focus on the foresight as usual and just aim 'below the fuzzy black ball' .Your eyes / brain detrmines the optimal amount of light between foresight and bottom of the black and you will still be shooting good tens.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Eye Care for Pistol Shooters

Post by Fred Mannis »

Spence,
go to http://www.geocities.com/ed_ka2fwj/bearticles.html
and read the articles by Dr. Norman Wong
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Actually, both Zoned and Axel made excellent points.

I'm 52 and the bull is no longer just a fuzzy black dot. Without the aid of my adjustable iris, the black is REALLY fuzzy when I'm wearing my open sight prescription lenses which are set for max focus on the front sight.

Axel made a good point too - the clearer you make the bull, the more you have to fight the temptation your eye has to wander towards the bull and away from where it should be glued - the FRONT SIGHT. This is something that can be overcome with appropriate training I believe.

What works for me is moderation - I dont make the pinhole SO small that the bull gets crystal clear. I just try and get it as clear as I remember it when I was 20 years old. (This creates some memory problems but that's another story)

It will probably take some experimentation to get it just right for you. Using an iris also requires a great deal of dedication and faith in the bright line rule -

WATCH THE FRONT SIGHT - ALWAYS

Whether an iris works just as well for you with and without a prescription probably depends on the individual's sight correction needs. Dr Norm Wong's treatise on shooter's sight needs is an excellent resource.

F. Paul
The trick is moderation

iris

Post by guest »

someone posted a while back about putting white dot on front sight not to help aim or anything but to get brain and eyes to shift focus to front sight really works for me try it,the eyes go right to front sight.
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

I use an iris when shooting air and free pistol. With air pistol I open it up and use it as a check to make sure my eye is centered and in the correct position for each shot. With free pistol I stop the iris down so that I can see the rear sight clear enough to center the front sight.
Yea, I know but someday you will be in your mid 60's and you'll be doing the same thing.