Matchguns MG2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
race1911

Matchguns MG2

Post by race1911 »

Received my Matchguns MG2 today........VERY pleased with the initial impressions of it (although the weather was not cooperating well enough to get out and shoot it).......the feel and weight distribution of it makes me feel I did the right choice by selling my Pardini SP in order to afford the Matchguns MG2 for Olympic Rapid Fire.......any comments on best .22lr ammo, use in Rapid Fire OR even Free Pistol would be appreciated !!............thanks, race1911
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Race,

Our selection of ammo in Kanuckistan is more limited than our southern brethren have access to. I've tested a bunch and found the MG-2 eats everything, including cheapo high velocity Federal bulk pack stuff from Walmart.

But there's a difference between what it will eat and what your shooting will digest well! For RF you want something with a mild recoil. This being the case I can definitely say that RWS is out of the question as it's one of the hottest munitions I've shot through the pistol. The gun handled it OK but its recoil made return-to-target times much slower. Try Eley Target Pistol (yellow box). It seems to work well. In fact, all Eley and Lapua seems to work well, although the Lapua feels hotter than Eley. The only Eley I haven't tried yet is the stuff with the EPS bullet. I can't afford to have much of that stuff kicking around... LoL

Hope this helps. And hope to see you at the nationals this summer in Prince Albert. That way we'll have a few MG-2's shooting Rapid Fire!

Mark.
PS: Same ammo recommendations for Free Pistol. Don't know which pistol you're shooting (MU-55 if I recall?) but you'll find milder recoil may be a bit easier to control. Better recoil control means better ability to both place and call your shots in FP.
race1911

Matchguns MG2

Post by race1911 »

Hi Mark..........Yes, will be going to Cdn Nationals in Prince Albert and I know of at least 2 others using MG2's that should be shooting Rapid Fire so we should have a pretty good (and competitive) time.................As far as free pistol goes you're correct on my having an MU55 (that I haven't done much with YET)..........see you there !!
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

I have had good results with Aguila's subsonic (the solid 40gr). And I've run it through the chronograph- it is above the minimum velocity of 250m/s. (Don't remember the exact speed- my book is at home & I'm at work right now.) Added bonus is that this ammo is quite reasonably priced.

-Ted
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

I wouldn't bet on the Aguila working in the free pistol. We have tried the SP 40 gr. and their pistol match and they are a very tight fit in a clean chamber in both a Hammerli 150 and a Morini. It takes a lot of force to seat them.

Good shooting

Doug in Virginia
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Well, north of the 49th there are no dealers yet for Aguila so that ammo, nice as it might be to try, is pretty much out of the question for the moment. I'd love to give it a whirl sometime though!
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Mark Briggs wrote:Well, north of the 49th there are no dealers yet for Aguila so that ammo, nice as it might be to try, is pretty much out of the question for the moment. I'd love to give it a whirl sometime though!
I buy mine via mail order- will the US mail order companies not ship ammo to Canada?

-Ignorant in Alabama

(Ted)
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Ted,

Getting ammo across the border is a serious problem, so mail order is out of the question. I've been trying to convince two Canadian dealers to bring Aguila in, but to date haven't had any luck. I'll keep trying as I'd like to get some of that subsonic stuff for rapid fire!