Just an idea ...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Luftrick

Just an idea ...

Post by Luftrick »

As a Life Member of USA Shooting (#134) and a frequent contributor to their various capital campaigns, I am still always trying to come up with ideas to get them more funds. I was browsing the BBS today and had a brainstorm: What if everyone who sells something via the Target Talk BBS donates 1% of the sale price to USAS? It wouldn't really take a bite out of the profit for the seller ($10 for a $1000 item), but with all the action on the board, it would amount to a pretty sizable donation at the end of a year's time, all in the name of the Target Talk members and users. I am SURE that somebody at USAS would be glad to do the accounting.

So ... what do you think?!?
sparky

Post by sparky »

I think running it would be a pain in the butt unless it was enforced via the honor system. I've seen this done on other websites somewhat successfully (www.miata.net 's classifieds section works this way).
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Sure, it would be totally up to the seller to follow through with the donation, but they could just make a note of "Target Talk" on the check and then someone at USAS could keep track of the total and let us know at the end of the year so we can all pat ourselves on the back a bit.

I for one pledge to do it from now on.

Patrick
Roly

With our host's OK...

Post by Roly »

Two minutes before I read your posting I finished reading the most recent ads posted on "Buy, Sell, Trade". I had been thinking to myself what a great freebee this is, and how it is perfect for getting to your 'target' audience!
I think that if the Board's host (Pilk) agrees to your idea I am all for a 1% suggested donation. Currently I have an item for sale and if it sells through this forum I'm sending my 1%. Cheap enough!
Roly
mony

usa shooting

Post by mony »

Before you donate ask yourself if worth it
USA Shooting just don't do the job.
Paul
sparky

Re: usa shooting

Post by sparky »

mony wrote:Before you donate ask yourself if worth it
USA Shooting just don't do the job.
Paul
That's MY main concern. Frankly, I don't think my interests (promotion of ISSF pistol disciplines for the benefit of ALL shooters in the US) jibe with my perception of USAS' interests (supporting/subsidizing an elite few top shooters).
william

Post by william »

So the message is USAShooting isn't perfect, so you're not supporting them? If perfection is your criterion, come back after you post a 600 in a match. Warts and all, USAS is what we have. I for one will be happy to send them 1% of anything I sell here, and maybe 1% of the price of anything I buy here, too. As Roly says, "Cheap enough!"
Luftrick

Re: usa shooting

Post by Luftrick »

mony wrote:Before you donate ask yourself if worth it ...
Paul
OK Paul, I'll give it a try; "Patrick, is it worth it to voluntarily send USAS 1% of the total price of any items that you sell on a free BBS—a board that is dedicated to the very shooting sports for which that organization acts as the NGB?"

Answer = Yes.

I obviously have felt that way since sending them the funds for my life membership in 1997 (and the additional donations totaling nearly that much in the intervening years), as well as the match fees for all the USAS sanctioned events I have competed in and the $85 for the AP phase of the USASNC that I already sent for this summer in Ft. Benning along with my offer to act as a volunteer during the FP competition (which I am staying for, but not competing in).

MAN! What is with the USAS bashing on this board?! When somebody gets the perfect organization up and running; one with no flaws or issues, one that is all things to all members and has 100% support from its base I am sure that not only will everybody in the shooting community run to line up and join, but every other board-run organization in the world will request the business model since it has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN RECORDED HISTORY. Yeesh.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

There is a big difference between asking for an organization to be "Perfect" (the totally bogus strawman argument presented in this thread by omore than one poster) and asking for it to be "Competent" or at least "Functional."

I have never- ever- heard any of those of us who are rallying for change from USAS to say we expect anything even close to "Perfection."

At what point does the "disfunctionalism" of an organization merit efforts from the membership for change?

I ahve been a member of an awful lot of organizations- and held leadership positions in many of them- that ran the gamut from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Even "The Good" ones could have stood some additional improvement in the way they were run.

Even if you consider USAS to fall into "The Good" category, couldn't they be "better?"

Do you consider the USAS leadership to be receptive to ideas for process improvement from hte membership?

Perhaps being open to ideas for improvement and having a vehicle for responding to ideas for change is the key.

Being "perfect" is not the issue. Being open to improvement is.

Steve Swartz
sparky

Post by sparky »

Heck, given a choice between sending the 1% to USAS or Pilkington Equipment, I think I'd choose the latter.
william

Post by william »

OK, Steve, do we understand you to mean you will be enclosing your 1% along with suggestions for improvement? Or are you and Sparky saying you prefer the nonexistent (fantasy) governing body to the one that is here now? A couple of Yes or No answers will suffice.
sparky

Post by sparky »

william wrote:OK, Steve, do we understand you to mean you will be enclosing your 1% along with suggestions for improvement? Or are you and Sparky saying you prefer the nonexistent (fantasy) governing body to the one that is here now? A couple of Yes or No answers will suffice.
Nice try, but yes or no answer DON'T suffice. I hope for change at USAS, but based on things like USAS' response to something as simple as the scheduling of the Nationals, I think idea of USAS accepting any suggestions for improvement is the more fantastic idea.

Because of how unlikely I think USAS will be to change, I'd be all for a new governing body to take over the governing of ISSF disciplines and promotion of the sport in the US; let USAS remain in existence, but reduce its responsibility to that of a US Olympic team booster club responsible for training and raising funds for the team (not much change from the status quo).
aurorapolice02_11

One question...

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

Can I ask what the big draw of Nationals is to the shooters not looking to make the National Team? Why would USAS change the scheduling of a match that determines the National Team at the request of shooters not looking to make the team?

Mike Douglass
aurorapolice02_11

Ok

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

I understand your points Stan. I was seriously asking why people go to Nationals without considering making the National Team. My opinion is the only reason to go is to make the team.

I of course am biased and do not want to see the team selection process tampered with, that's all.

Mike Douglass
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Getting off-topic a bit, but I'll venture my reasons for you Mike:

I love playing basketball. I play pretty well, but is it possible for me to ever go to a national championship and compete? Nope.

I love shooting more than basketball. I am better at shooting than basketball, but is it possible for me to go to a national championship and compete? Yep.

I applaude and support those shooters who, through natural ability and endless hard work, have achieved a level of excellence that yields scores I only dream about (570+ AP on a consistant basis). They are the ones in the running for National Team selection and they earn their places with dilligence and skill. I have no delusions of ever being that good myself. I know that with my career and relationship I just can't dedicate myself to the sport enough to probably be much more than a 550 average, but that is fine. I love the challenge of it. I love the quiet of it and the zen of it. I also thoroughly enjoy competing, and the best dance is usually the biggest, so for me that would be the Nationals. I am totally looking forward to it, hope to do well, and know it will be a good vacation, regardless of how I place. Hell, if I come in last I'll get $250 off a new pistol! How can you beat that?
pilkguns@the Zugspitze

Post by pilkguns@the Zugspitze »

What is with you people? USAS is trying very hard to be responsive, especially to pistol shooters. You asked to use red dots in the USASANC, it was done(counter productive IMHO but it was done, you asked for some classification changes it was done, You, asked for a junior pisol program, it was done, you asked for different national coach, it was done C,mon people, think about everything......yes, we did not get the shorter nationals, and i am not happy with that, but will live with.

BTW, Lufticks idea of 1% is great. We are now asking for roundup donations for all sales, and spliting the round-up dollars equally between USAS and NRA

i would like to say more but i hate typing on these German keyboards
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Scott

try

START
SETTINGS
Control Panel
Regional & Languages
language
details
keypad

set it to US

set it back when u are ready to leave the cyber cafe or whatever

Poole
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I am not a 570 SP shooter, but I'm only 40-50 points away from making the national team. I have never been to the USASNC and unfortunately can't make it this year, but I really want to go. Why?

I want to go for the experience. I want to shoot along side the best shooters. I want to watch them and talk with them. I want to spend several days doing nothing but shooting, talking about shooting and thinking about shooting. This will make me a better shooter. I know it will. Will I ever be competitive? I don't know, but that doesn't make it any less challenging or fun.

I went to the NRA championships for the first time last year. I went thinking "what am I going to do for 7 days?" I took books to read, but never got the chance. It is total immersion in the shooting discipline. It was wonderful seeing and talking with other shooters. My average went up significantly since then. It was also great to be in an environment where guns were perfectly normal, something I rarely get living in Illinois.

Why go to the national championships? Because it is fun, and it makes you a better shooter.

Steve
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

I'm all for the 1% thing. I just purchased a Walther LG200 from one of the folks on this site. Even though I am not the seller, I'm going to send a check tomorrow to USA Shooting for 1% of the purchase price and send along a note that it is because of Pilkington's site. Might as well get the ball rolling.

Also, I'm with Scott on the topic of USA Shooting's shortcomings. I see a lot of positive things they are doing. I can see other folk's viewpoints on some issues, but overall, I'm for 'em, not against 'em.

Let's support what we have and try to make it better instead of trying to tear it down and replace it.

One man's opinion.

Marc