FAS 603

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dam

FAS 603

Post by Dam »

How does this Italian gon compare to say a Pardini? accuracy,durability, etc.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

The FAS 603 is lovely to shoot, quite heavy but very well balanced (top-loading magazine), and has a great grip. Needs a bit of maintenance (e.g. regular changes of recoil spring, rubber buffer and buffer retaining clip) and screws and bolts have a habit of working loose. I bought mine last year (used early example but in near-new condition) and have been very pleased with it. I've had to get a few spares, but Potters in Australia were able to supply everthing I needed without any fuss (www.potfire.com.au).

Don't know much about the Pardini HP (only fired a few rounds through one), except that early version (MP) had a frame cracking problem (now solved through re-enforcement) and is more front-heavy (magazine forward of trigger).

Both of these .32 pistols have their supporters and detractors and both have been extensively discussed on TT. Run a TT Search on the terms "603" and "Pardini HP" and you can follow up what has gone before. They have also come up for discussion before on www.targetshooting.ca
mister G

Post by mister G »

Had mine since FAS took over from IGI some 22 years ago. Never replaced a spring, never had any parts loosen. The two stage trigger and orthopedic grip helped me into the 850s in conventional NRA competitions.

Accuracy at 25 yards/meters is excellent with the right factory or handloaded ammo. The 603 takes a red dot scope mounted forward of the breech with only one base and ring.

Only area of concern is the magazine. I wish it were built like the Hammerli SP-20.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

mister G wrote:Had mine since FAS took over from IGI some 22 years ago. Never replaced a spring, never had any parts loosen.
I am one of the 603's greatest fans but even I would admit that you have been extremely lucky. Even if the gun had never been fired you would have expected the slide spring to take on a wave. They will normally still work like that but 22 years really is a long time.

IMHO there are 2 things that make the 603 a great pistol.

1) A properly set up 2 stage trigger makes it difficult to snatch a shot.

2) If you do manage to mess it up and snatch the shot then the balance of the pistol ensures that you are not punished too much. This is obviously extremely subjective, I have no idea if it would be possible to measure/quantify, but I am convinced that the 603 is more forgiving than any other .32 I have tried.
mister G

Post by mister G »

David - My 602 is even older than the 603! 1979 vintage.

The only modification I've made to it is to cut down the firing pin spring so as to allow more energy to hit the 22lr primers. Oh ... and replaced the buffer (which turns to hard wax after years of exposure to air and petroleum) and the buffer retainer (which work-hardens and cracks).

Otherwise, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.