Differences between IJ35 & IZH35

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mark Briggs

Differences between IJ35 & IZH35

Post by Mark Briggs »

I have a series of curiosity questions concerning Russian standard pistols... IJ35 is supposed to be the forerunner of the IZH35 from what I've come to understand through some limited reading. But which one is closest to the RH30 (orHR30, I can never remember the naming convention because my Russian skills are, well, non-existant)? And how does one tell the IJ and IZH models apart - are there any defining external features?

Of course, if there's a TargetTalker out there who's fired both the IJ and IZH I'd love to hear a comparison of the two...

Thanks for your patience and your insightful responses.
Jay V

Re: Differences between IJ35 & IZH35

Post by Jay V »

Mark Briggs wrote:I have a series of curiosity questions concerning Russian standard pistols... IJ35 is supposed to be the forerunner of the IZH35 from what I've come to understand through some limited reading. But which one is closest to the RH30 (orHR30, I can never remember the naming convention because my Russian skills are, well, non-existant)? And how does one tell the IJ and IZH models apart - are there any defining external features?

Of course, if there's a TargetTalker out there who's fired both the IJ and IZH I'd love to hear a comparison of the two...

Thanks for your patience and your insightful responses.
I bought one of the first IZHs that landed in the US, and have had a chance to look at, but not fire an original IJ. My first IZH (*99) was picky about ammo, my second (*01) was not. The later model liked Eley and CCI std. Federal ammo was causing numerous guns to double-fire, so I alway recommend staying away from it. Accuracy was same for both guns. Most have a reputation of being very accurate to 50 yds.

From what I have seen and heard these are the major differences.

The IJ does not have the side mag-release and grip safety of the IZH-35. Most of the changes to come up with the "IZH" model came about because of US market requirements.

The upper shroud on the IJ is not mounted firmly with numerous screws like the IZH. Again, the IZH was designed for a dot or scope to be mounted (the rail is included) - the IJ was not.

The Walther KSP-200 was more like the original IJ, with a bottom mag release and IJ-style shroud mounting.

Otherwise they are the same internally as far as I know. I wouldn't see any reason to try to seek out an original IJ over an IZH.

Do a search for Pete Brunelli's IZH page if you haven't seen it. He has assembled lots of IZH-related info. Hopefully it's still out there.

Jay V
william

Post by william »

Okay, let's keep this simple so that even I can understand it. The Ij35 and the Izh35 are the same thing. Period. The Cyrillic letter that looks sort of like a W with an extra leg is pronounced like the s in leisure. In American English it is rendered as "zh." When transliterated into French - many Europeans follow French practice - it is transliterated "j." In either case it is an abreviation for Izhevsk (Ijevsk) which is where they are made.

There was a change several years ago when the 35M (modernized) came out and some more recent ones which appear to be dictated by the US market. Claims of differences between so-called Ij and Izh of like vintage are purely fictitious and are to be taken as seriously as some of the outrageous stories dealers tell about oriental rugs.
ruig

Post by ruig »

http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/hguns/izh35m/

One pistol, different pronunciation.

Also, avoid to shoot with "strong ammo" (like .22 lr hunting ammo, or high powdered ammo) - it's harmful for its details: shell discarder or bolt can be broken.
TomF

Post by TomF »

Does anyone know where I can get IZH-35M?

My dealers tell me they cannot find any at wholsalers or distributors.

If you know of a source, please let me know the details.

Thank you.

Tom
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

TomF,

I know you can purchase one from Armrus in Montreal Canada, $700CDN

http://www.armrus.com/e_tarpistols.php

Brian
TomF

Post by TomF »

Thanks for the info. But I am looking the the USA.

Post by Guest »

Here is the contact info page link for the importer. It lists the dealers who carry, or at least can get you that pistol.
There is also some information on the site about that pistol along with the rest of the line they import.
http://www.eaacorp.com/contactus.shtml
TomF

Post by TomF »

Thanks Guest. I have spoken to them many times. They dont know where their products are. They just know who the distributors are. And I have called the big ones and they dont have any.

SO does anyone in the USA know where a IZH35M can be bought?
Shin
Site Admin

Post by Shin »

TomF wrote: SO does anyone in the USA know where a IZH35M can be bought?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=28553920
TomF

Post by TomF »

Thanks Shin!
bradbauer

Post by bradbauer »

This is a statement from the EAA website which may explain part of the problem:

"Baikal: On November 6, 2004 we let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. All of the guns we had been importing from Baikal of Russia (IZH models), will now be sold under the Spartan by Remington” name brand. We will continue to perform warranty work on the Baikal line. Spartan by Remington guns will be at a slightly higher price than similar EAA models, so buying an EAA model is a good investment since the price will only increase. If you are a dealer, stock up on all the EAA Baikal guns you can find and enjoy the profit. The change to Spartan by Remington was a positive change for the Baikal line and fully supported by EAA Corp. The Baikal plant in Russia will now be working with one of the oldest and largest names in the USA firearms business and we are proud to have had a part in this historic event.

We will keep all our IZH / Baikal models on the website for the time being while inventories are being sold off. "