value of cross training with a different pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dsingh

Post by dsingh »

I shot my Steyr yesterday after almost a year. Compared to my Morini short I found it really heavy going. I was struggling with the pistol most of the time mostly since I found it exceptionally nose heavy and the trigger to be way harder to release. The recoil is obviously less but I have grown used to the small ( very small to no existent when shot right ) jump from the Morini as indication that the shot execution is correct. Overall scores were about 1-2 points lower per 10 shots than the morini but I think that could be corrected with a bit of getting used to.

the results are a bit surprising ( in terms of just how much I seem to like the Morini ) since I used to shoot the Steyr a lot until last Jan when I got the Morini.

My question really is - is there any proven value to training with two different guns. I ask since I see most of the top shooters switching every so often - witness Nuestrev and Tan. I know a lot of shooters play games trying to 'compete' with scores from two different pistols. Personally, at this point I am rather inclined to just sell the Steyr and get another Morini ( short ) . I still have the Pardini SP and HP for some cross discipline training . I mean if I dont really like the Steyr whether I can shoot well with it doesnt really matter - or does it ? Is there any point in being macho and trying to shoot the same score with different guns?

Post by Guest »

Some elite shooters change make/model for commercial sponsorship deals, others may just like the feel of a different pistol.

The targets are the same distance away; the pistols still have sights and a trigger so quality training is better than no training.

Moving from one gun to another has the added advantage of discovery so timely reminders of grip contact points and the basics. It also gives you an opportunity to constructively evaluate the configuration of one pistol against another such as trigger balance, sight radius and overall balance of the gun.

Finally, remember to enjoy your shooting!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I can understand a little of swapping between guns but other than ocassionally I would think it would be detrimental to your shooting scores. I would imagine most people shoot a couple, or more, disciplines and it's that that I would think helps to focus on the important aspects.

I know people who train with one gun and compete with another and to me that makes no sense. The whole point of training is to develope your profficiency and if you then change the most important ingredient i.e. the gun then you lose a lot of what you've been training for (IMHO).

Rob.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,
I shoot two air guns, Morini Short and Morini Long. If under 95p then I change to the other gun. An alternative is to take a brake and do 20 push ups!

If one gun breaks there is another one that I am used to shoot with.

It does not have to be top model, any old gun will do if you need to punish yourself for not paying attention. (Smile).

Kent