MG2 Troubles.. need some brainstorming

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MG2-owner

The calamity gun...

Post by MG2-owner »

Thanks, Mark, you have got it right.
I am curious to see what changes the factory may incorporate in our MG2s. And if the guns turn out to be wellperforming after factory "tuning".
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I am please to report that I have received the best Christmas present possible. My MG2, which I sent back to Italy to be fixed has been returned in EXCELLENT working order. The service I received has been incredible. A special thanks to Steffano at MG, for going the extra mile and making sure my pistol was taken care of properly!
MG2-owner

You lucky soul

Post by MG2-owner »

Celebrations!
No,--that kind of luck could not be heading my way? Afraid not...
diopter

My own Expierence

Post by diopter »

I'd like to add that the (2058) Slide cover's four screws work loose and causes the sear to disengage, causing the hammer to follow the slide when it chambers a round.
Thank God it doesn't slamfire!
Often it would work for awhile and then get progressively worse. I'll try a weak Locktite type liquid to get more friction on those screws and tapped hole in the frame.

I'm also trying more sear engagement(Page 15 screws # 2 and #4.

It seems to have the new extractor with the forward V shape, but there is noticeable wear on the rounded top front edge wear it goes into the barrel slot.

Trying to get rid of one problem at a time.

Re: My own Expierence

Post by Guest »

diopter wrote: I'd like to add that the (2058) Slide cover's four screws work loose and causes the sear to disengage, causing the hammer to follow the slide when it chambers a round.

This is a problem very often encountered when firing the MG2. It happened by the end of the very first box of ammo I fired in my then-new MG2 some four years ago. I still have to retorque these bolts often. "Locktite" helps, but at every (thorough) cleaning, I have to unscrew the bolts, to remove the "slide sover". Then re-"locktite" again. Boring.
diopter wrote: I'll try a weak Locktite type liquid to get more friction on those screws and tapped hole in the frame.
diopter wrote: It seems to have the new extractor with the forward V shape, but there is noticeable wear on the rounded top front edge where it goes into the barrel slot.
Extractor-wear in the extractor slot/rear part of chamber area is a very common problem with the MG2. (Well, I admit, I had the same problem, even worse so, with a Morini CM22 I owned earlier.)
diopter

Post by diopter »

Not surprising the extractor gets worn when the slide has extra slop from the slide cover coming loose.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Diopter - the top screws will work loose initially. Getting them clean of oil is very important to ensure they don't back out. When all else fails, a little locktite on the screws will work. Make sure you use a "service removeable" grade like 222 or 242, and then just a little on the screw threads. Once there's a little loctite on the threads they can be removed and replaced and the residual material on the threads will keep them locked in place.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Not surprising the extractor gets worn when the slide has extra slop from the slide cover coming loose.
The extractor on my MG is tapered on the top and bottom surfaces to facilitate feeding into the slot in the barrel, ..this gives the impression of wear, but is actually a design feature.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Tycho wrote:There's a 2mm screw between the pair of slide cover screws at the back. That will regulate spring pressure on the hammer sear.
Mine does not have that 2mm screw. The spring that pushes against part #2059 goes into a blind hole from underneath the slide cover.
diopter

Post by diopter »

The dealer supplied me with some parts, hammer and sear bar. Unfortunately they were for an older model and there is no way they could be used on this 22xx series MG2 rapid-fire. Even the angles and contact surfaces on the sear surfaces were visibly different

That led me to try stretching out the above mentioned sear spring and it worked. It prevented the hammer following the bolt. Hurray!!! Changed grip angle to make it steeper.

Now I just have to figure out why some bullets were decapitated. Strange to see it. Nose of the bullets rests on edge of chamber and the case is pushed down at about 45°, emptying the powder into the bullet carrier. It was doing before anyway.

Something to do for the weekend, I guess.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The 2mm screw for the "sear-spring" was abandoned at 21xx or so, when the new hammer had more overtravel.

I've seen the decapitated bullets before - talk to Stefano, we had to change the cradle, the mags and the mag holder in a MG2E because of that, but now it works perfectly.
MG2-owner

Useless replasement MG2-parts

Post by MG2-owner »

diopter wrote:The dealer supplied me with some parts, hammer and sear bar. Unfortunately they were for an older model and there is no way they could be used on this 22xx series MG2 rapid-fire. Even the angles and contact surfaces on the sear surfaces were visibly different
Have have had three similar experiences with parts supplied by the MG company. Two years ago, we (me, and the importer) got two new "bolts", that should cure the frequent MG2-stoppages, - and eliminate the extractors habit to erode into the rear of the chamber.(!)

The new bolts had the newer, narrower extractor, which did not fit well into the extractor slots of the (original) barrels, and we returned the barrels to MG to get them replaced.

To our surprixe, we received our original barrels in remaschined condition. But he barrels were now a few mm shorter (!). The shorter barrels could not be used in our MG2s, because the hammer could not reach that far forward, and fire the cartridge (!) No way.

To our repeated surprize, the MG2 company at first refused to ship us new, proper barrels (!) Without proper barrels, our MG2s had now become expensive "paperweights".

After some months, and repeated, heavy pressure from the importer, the MG company finely agreed to ship the proper barrels.

Some have claimed " MG-factory have good customer support".
Our experiences are different. Very different.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Tycho wrote:The 2mm screw for the "sear-spring" was abandoned at 21xx or so, when the new hammer had more overtravel.

I've seen the decapitated bullets before - talk to Stefano, we had to change the cradle, the mags and the mag holder in a MG2E because of that, but now it works perfectly.
Tycho

Did it have to be send back to Matchguns or was it just by replacing the mentioned parts by the owner/dealer?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Neither - did it myself. The problem our anonymous friend had with the barrels is typical for non-communication between shooter, dealer and manufacturer - the newer models have a differently located cradle and therefore a shorter barrel. Now if you can't manage to discuss the version of your pistol with Matchguns, don't be surprised if the parts don't match. As the MG2E in question already had the new frame, I simply had to switch the cradle etc. The only operation I can think of that I can't do on my desk is the relocation of the cradle axis, everything else is straightforward. As for the import/export problems - a lot of people don't "get" that Italian customs function differently - you can't just send pistols there, Stefano has to get the paperwork in advance from the questura. If you just send a package with a gun, the paperwork is too slow and customs will return the package. That isn't Matchguns' problem, only something that people need to know. Now if you happen to live somewhere where there are similar problems - yeah, go figure it out yourself.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Red tape and bureacrats are rampant in too many areas. :^(
MG2-owner

Post by MG2-owner »

Tycho wrote: Neither - did it myself. The problem our anonymous friend had with the barrels is typical for non-communication between shooter, dealer and manufacturer
The MatchGuns factory were ialways nformed about the serialnumbers of both guns, whenever new parts were ordered (!)I had anticipated the MG-factory to know which versions (there are many version of many parts) of their parts fits which serialnumber range of MG2s. It turns out, they did (and do) not.

I invite the Matchguns stff to comment upon this incident.
And I dare to claim the following: The MG-factory are continuously redesigning parts, in attempts to cure the everlasting jamming issues of the MG2. There are som many version of many parts, that the MG-factory has lost record of which versions to fit which serialnumber-range.

I repeat: The MG-staff is invited to comment upon thic case. The MG-staff is well aware of the guns in question. There have been hours of telephone-contact, and a large number of e-mails, from the importer to the MG-factory.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Well, I can't imagine what hours on the phone with people like you would feel like - reading two of your posts in five minutes already gives me a headache and lets me search for a hatchet, and it's not even really my problem.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In all honesty he really doesn't hurt Matchguns because his never ending diatribe just makes him look unreasonable and everyone has dealt with people like that in their lives.
Last edited by Richard H on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TB

Post by TB »

Tycho wrote:Well, I can't imagine what hours on the phone with people like you would feel like - reading two of your posts in five minutes already gives me a headache and lets me search for a hatchet, and it's not even really my problem.
LOL, very well put LOL. Finally "MG-2 owner" contributes with something positive, eventhough it is indirect and unintended......
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

So you guys are still debating this pistol. This is so funny. I wonder how many targettalk-threads there are about problems regarding MG2?

Obviously a very troublesome pistol.