You Probably Already Noticed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

Post by Russ »

Is this a salaried position?....
I think is not about not only to be financially compensated for your job but be honest in the first place.

Yes I charge money for my service and I may guarantee elevation in score performance in short period of time in most cases. This is what professionals do. I value my time and my words. This is drastic difference between me and other instructors… And if this is not common practice…. And not written in books what I can do about it? Everyone who uses my service happy about value I provided to them. Why you guys not very happy about it… I don’t know.

I prefer to provide my service as a leverage to some who is ready to take they level of performance to the next level to compensate them from someone who already has access for FREE coaching, and other perks.
Last edited by Russ on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Russ wrote: What I’m asking is just for equal rights to bring my point of view without creating any label as Chet and such. <snip>
Russ,
Equal rights involves both talking and listening. You seem intent on posting lots of replys to anyone elses comments. As you are well aware one of the arts of coaching is to listen. Another is to evaluate and offer solutions without preaching. You'd perhaps do well considering this thread as a coaching assignment.

Rob.
Russ

Post by Russ »

RobStubbs wrote:
Russ wrote: What I’m asking is just for equal rights to bring my point of view without creating any label as Chet and such. <snip>
Russ,
Equal rights involves both talking and listening. You seem intent on posting lots of replys to anyone elses comments. As you are well aware one of the arts of coaching is to listen. Another is to evaluate and offer solutions without preaching. You'd perhaps do well considering this thread as a coaching assignment.

Rob.
Rob, I really like your posts since I came to TT decade ago. I understand your point of view. But you as a one of leaders must understand. If you have something to teach new….. Listening complains will not lead to any were. I’m talking about bold score performance on level at least AP-575 & FP-555. This is common score performance from your competitors from Russia. EASY STUFF!

Are you guys have any plans to win any medals in target shooting in 2012 or you think that someone will share with you medals because you nicely spoken and well behaved group of recreational target shooters?
Last edited by Russ on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:
I think is not about not only to be financially compensated for your job but be honesty in the first place.

Yes I charge money for my service and I may guarantee elevation in score performance in short period of time in most cases. This is what professionals do. I value my time and my words.
I make a point of apologising if I unintentionally offend someone.

My "salaried position" question was intended as a joke. If you did not understand it as such and took it as a dig against you then I apologise.
Russ

Post by Russ »

David Levene wrote:
Russ wrote:
I think is not about not only to be financially compensated for your job but be honesty in the first place.

Yes I charge money for my service and I may guarantee elevation in score performance in short period of time in most cases. This is what professionals do. I value my time and my words.
I make a point of apologising if I unintentionally offend someone.

My "salaried position" question was intended as a joke. If you did not understand it as such and took it as a dig against you then I apologise.
David, I understand that no one got paid by providing some help on TT. It is no big difference for me if someone will get paid if he is doing honest and reliable service. If people needs help and they willing to compensate for honest service let it be. If you are not happy about service tell everyone openly…there will be no service any longer.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:
David Levene wrote:My "salaried position" question was intended as a joke. If you did not understand it as such and took it as a dig against you then I apologise.
David, I understand that no one got paid by providing some help on TT. It is no big difference for me if someone will get paid if he is doing honest and reliable service. If people needs help and they willing to compensate for honest service let it be. If you are not happy about service tell everyone openly…there will be no service any longer.
Which part of "If you did not understand it as such and took it as a dig against you then I apologise" didn't you understand.

If someone wants to charge for providing a service then, of course, they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Just because they charge however does not mean that they are always right or good at their job. Before you take umbrage to that as well, I am not saying it applies to you.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote: Rob, I really like your posts since I came to TT decade ago. I understand your point of view. But you as a one of leaders must understand. If you have something to teach new….. Listening complains will not lead to any were. I’m talking about bold score performance on level at least AP-575 & FP-555. This is common score performance from your competitors from Russia. EASY STUFF!
Are you being serious? Listening to complaints will not lead anywhere? So, if a student of yours complains that they are having difficulties with concentration... do you tell them not to complain and then just carry on 'instructing' them in your technique? Or do you grant that there may be some need to discuss the details of their complaint, analyse the problem, and work with them towards solutions?
Russ wrote:Are you guys have any plans to win any medals in target shooting in 2012 or you think that someone will share with you medals because you nicely spoken and well behaved group of recreational target shooters?
I wonder what is your purpose in making this rather brash and insulting comment? You seem to have a need for people to listen to you. And yet you routinely make offensive, often sarcastic comments such as this. I've never met a good teacher who behaved in such a manner.

In your several earlier comments regarding my first post here, you seem to be implying that I am selling something. Huh? I mean, what could I be selling with such 'emotional' statements? What I was suggesting, primarily, is that a) what you are trying to accomplish with this thread is confusing to say the least, b) that you are often insulting in your manner, and c), that there is a different, better way of sharing wisdom and experience when posting comments in internet discussions.

Your manner is somewhat reminiscent of trolling, at times. At other times you seem almost to apologise... and then you revert to such nonsense as the above statements about 575 scores being 'easy stuff.' There is nothing easy about becoming an Olympic calibre shooter, no matter whether one comes from Russia or elsewhere. Your national pride may be showing here? Such scores are evidence of long years of practice in the many variables of successful target shooting, of enormous discipline and dedication. Please, do not insult yourself or others by dismissing such work as 'easy.'

And by the way, I was somewhat amazed to see my own entire post quoted several times in a row by the same person, for no apparent reason, just wasting space.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I'm new here, and only about 3 months into 10metre air pistol (actually 8metre with scaled targets for now, as I lack a 10metre space at home and don't yet have other options), and suppose this is as good a place as any to introduce myself by posting thoughts
Thank you Mr. Gerard for you input…..defiantly you have hidden agenda in your post.
Interesting also other questions You are extremely well informed for 3 month experience shooter ;)
Is anyone else having difficulties and same experience with concentration during first 3 month of practicing? For many shooters this is only learning stage my friend.
Or it can be related for heath issue and must be address to your heath practitioner.
Defiantly I’m not perfect to sell stuff. I’m willing to learn and speak with you on your professional language very soon.
Next time do not forget to add sticker price with NICE Olympic pistol ($2,000.00) it will look more appealing :)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:
Thank you Mr. Gerard for you input…..defiantly you have hidden agenda in your post.
Interesting also other questions You are extremely well informed for 3 month experience shooter ;)
Is anyone else having difficulties and same experience with concentration during first 3 month of practicing? For many shooters this is only learning stage my friend.
Or it can be related for heath issue and must be address to your heath practitioner.
Defiantly I’m not perfect to sell stuff. I’m willing to learn and speak with you on your professional language very soon.
Next time do not forget to add sticker price with NICE Olympic pistol ($2,000.00) it will look more appealing :)
Hidden agenda? Healthy issues? You leave me more puzzled still, which is somewhat of a surprise, considering that a good teacher must also, by definition, be a good communicator.

I have said very little about my skill level as a 3 month serious shooter. I bought a Gamo Center spring air pistol in November and played with a bit, then in late December decided to pursue more serious shooting discipline. Of course I realise that a recoiling 'sport' model air pistol is not viable in terms of significant advancement in this sport. I have modified the pistol in a number of ways, making a much more suitable custom grip, a metal foresight, re-machining the rearsight mechanism for greater stability (it rocked from side to side between shots), and other modifications to the trigger and truing the barrel, which was very crookedly manufactured. The pistol feels quite a lot better, and last week my averages went up to about 485, with a high of 502. In late December my best score was a 330 or, with about a 295 average.

So progress is made... and soon, once my average surpasses 500 dependably, I will allow myself to purchase an IZH-46m. I believe that the Gamo pistol so-modified is capable of approximately 540 scores with consistency, perhaps a little more, but with the bore being cut at about a millimetre crooked within the barrel and other problems mechanically, I am quite satisfied that it is not a seriously competitive pistol. I feel no need to purchase a $2,000 pistol at this time, nor do I imagine that I will even consider such a purchase within the next 5 years. From my readings it seems that the 46m is more than adequate to take me as high as I wish to go. My career as a luthier is central in my life, along with my role as a father and husband, and there is little likelihood that at age 49 I have an Olympic future.

If you think that I am 'well informed' it is primarily thanks to the many, many shooters and coaches who have seen fit to share their knowledge online. The member here v76, in another forum, has proven incredibly generous with his time and sharing of his stored files on various aspects including hardware and training and analysis. Many others have been similarly kind in sharing their knowledge, and I have spent quite a lot of my evening time after work reading all this. My understanding of the many elements required to become a more disciplined shooter has increased massively, compared to nothing at all in December. But of course I realise that there is a LOT of reading yet to be done, and that beyond this there will be years of inner work along with practice time and related physical training before I am able to consistently shoot 575 or higher scores. I look forward to this, as I am fond of difficult challenges. I may never get there, but intend to shoot a 575 at least, some day, and will probably enter the odd formal competition as time allows.

The 'hidden agenda' you speak of bothers me a lot, because it is simply untrue. Your own agenda in this thread was at first unclear. Through the course of your postings it has become much more apparent that you are seeking respect as a teacher, seeking business in the form of paid students, and I have no problem with this premise. What does concern me, and the reason I'm posting here, is that you are a bully. You cannot whip people into becoming your students. You will find that generally they will go elsewhere when they sense this is your attitude.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear Mr. Gerard
As a three month experience shooter you may ask for help in
1. CSSA Canadian Shooting Sports Association
2.or Target Shooting Canada A Bullseye Discussion Forum
http://www.targetshooting.ca/wwwboard/index.html

but for some specific reason you became concentrated with very second post to extremely sophisticated questions for novice as you trying convince readers. What is your goal?
Who you really are?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Dear Mr. Gerard

but for some specific reason you became concentrated with very second post to extremely sophisticated questions for novice as you trying convince readers. What is your goal?
Who you really are?
WHAT? For reference, here is my 'very second post' in its entirety:
Gerard wrote: Are you being serious? Listening to complaints will not lead anywhere? So, if a student of yours complains that they are having difficulties with concentration... do you tell them not to complain and then just carry on 'instructing' them in your technique? Or do you grant that there may be some need to discuss the details of their complaint, analyse the problem, and work with them towards solutions?

I wonder what is your purpose in making this rather brash and insulting comment? You seem to have a need for people to listen to you. And yet you routinely make offensive, often sarcastic comments such as this. I've never met a good teacher who behaved in such a manner.

In your several earlier comments regarding my first post here, you seem to be implying that I am selling something. Huh? I mean, what could I be selling with such 'emotional' statements? What I was suggesting, primarily, is that a) what you are trying to accomplish with this thread is confusing to say the least, b) that you are often insulting in your manner, and c), that there is a different, better way of sharing wisdom and experience when posting comments in internet discussions.

Your manner is somewhat reminiscent of trolling, at times. At other times you seem almost to apologise... and then you revert to such nonsense as the above statements about 575 scores being 'easy stuff.' There is nothing easy about becoming an Olympic calibre shooter, no matter whether one comes from Russia or elsewhere. Your national pride may be showing here? Such scores are evidence of long years of practice in the many variables of successful target shooting, of enormous discipline and dedication. Please, do not insult yourself or others by dismissing such work as 'easy.'

And by the way, I was somewhat amazed to see my own entire post quoted several times in a row by the same person, for no apparent reason, just wasting space.
So what are these "extremely sophisticated questions" of which you speak? I didn't ask any sophisticated questions. I asked you one question, as an example, regarding your bold statement that complaints where useless. Again, if a student came to you complaining of issues with concentration - a very common problem as I understand it from my own experience and from many, many posts in forums, and the fact that it is one of the central themes in essays on the subject of target shooting - what would you do? Dismiss them? Or listen in detail and offer advice? Is this sophisticated? I would ask the same question of a musician, who was having issues with concentration in terms of bow control, vibrato consistency, intonation, or other technical elements of that game. Or a chess student, or sprinter, or whatever. Concentration is hardly the exclusive domain of shooting!

Again, you offer zero useful input, and instead focus on trying to create some sort of exclusive society... apparently populated by one: yourself.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Dear Mr. Gerard

Who you really are?
More specifically, point by point:

I 'may' ask for help, if I should wish to do so, anywhere I like. I am a member (under another name, as 'Gerard was already taken when I joined) of the forum here: http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/index.php
I have learned much there, as I said earlier.

Of what am I trying to convince readers? Nothing. I am trying to convince you that your manner is offensive and un-productive. A futile effort of course, as bullies do not respond to reason. Hence my very first comment as a member here, to the effect that this thread seemed as good a place to begin posting in this forum as anywhere else. Probably useless, but an active discussion with some interest for me.

My goal? See above. I hope for you to mellow your insults, open up a little regarding actually informative sharing of information (not likely considering your obvious push towards paying students - and of course there's nothing wrong with earning a living!), and generally take a look in your mirror and reflect on what it means to be a human being in a culture. Beating people with arrogance is never going to be a viable means to a better society.

If I have an agenda it is this: the free sharing of all products and all information, period. Not sure how relevant that 'agenda' might be in terms of an airgun forum... but yes, I am an anarchist. <start sarcasm mode> Is that bad? Should I seek help from a professional for this illness? Oh mighty Russ, will you cure me?</end sarcasm mode>
Russ

Post by Russ »

last week my averages went up to about 485
I can see what the problem is. But asking for help you don’t need such a long introduction. :)
It is lot of space for improvement for you.
You need at least IZH-46M.... I have no idea of Gamo capabilities.
Name to me fundamentals first
Last edited by Russ on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

That space for improvement is what makes this so exciting! As for seeing what my problem is... do you mean the very low score? Doesn't take much experience to do the math and notice that I'm not shooting 600/600. But hey, if Skanaker is shooting high 500's at age 76, there's hope for a beginner like me.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Name to me fundamentals first
There is always hope :)
Russ

Post by Russ »

You don't need to think too long about fundamentals.....
Russ

Post by Russ »

If you can't just name it you are not practicing but making holes in the paper
Russ

Post by Russ »

It is not necessary to thank any one you learned pointless information my friend so far.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Again, what? Even allowing for English not being your primary language - and my wife only began learning English in 1993, so I do have some appreciation for the difficulties involved - it is very difficult to understand your intention with such comments. Fundamentals? Yes, I am learning the fundamentals. What of it? Do you have any point with this? If one is making an omelette, one uses eggs, that's a fundamental. Hardly needs much explanation.

Oh, and I forgot to answer one of your questions: who am I? I am Gerard Ivan Samija, a luthier resident in Vancouver, BC, Canada, born here of parents from Saskatchewan and Croatia. Is that enough to satisfy your curiousity about my 'agenda' insofar as my true identity? I always try using my real name in forums of any sort when I join, but it is not always available. You may find my username 'Gerard' in many forums discussing the use of portable computing devices if you like. Or I use GerardSamija in some forums where Gerard is already taken. On the Canadian Airguns site I registered with 'p17' more as a joke than anything else, a couple of years ago, after purchasing a horrible plastic gun called 'p17.' It died quite soon after buying it. The Gamo came next, about 2 years later.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:It is not necessary to thank any one you learned pointless information my friend so far.
Yet again, I must beg you to explain. What the heck are you talking about? Pointless information? The US Army guide to competitive target shooting is just one of the many documents I have so far studied, thanks to generous people sharing such information online. Useless? If it's increased my scores by close to 200 points in this short time, I don't think useless is quite the right term. Try 'useful.'

But then again, I didn't pay you for it... so I suppose in that sense such information is useless... to you.