The Winter Olympics

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Paul,
You said it much better than I did.

Thanks,
Fred
metermatch

Drug testing

Post by metermatch »

I kind of remember a shooter, I think it was Ruby Fox, in the 1984 Olympics, Womens Sport Pistol, that was stripped of her Olympic medal for testing positive for steroids. She had Multiple Sclorosis and was prescribed the drug, told the IOC, got approval to use it, and then got busted at the Olympics.

This is just a distant memory from my smallbore prone days, it is entirely possible I am mistaken.

By the way, a simple way to avoid getting busted is to not take anything, period. Especially away from home. If you get sick, suck it up and live with it. If you are sick, you probably are going to shoot like crap anyway. So don't worry about it.

If you have prescriptions, get them approved before hand. Not tot tough.

This really isn't that hard folks. You spend years and tens of thousands of dollars getting to this level. It doesn't take that much research to learn what not to take or eat.

Yes, it sucks to have to make the extra effort. But this is the world we live in, and I would rather have it this way, then have to take drugs to "keep up with the Jonses"

Jeff
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

further to metermatch's posting - Yes!

After untold years of training and single mindedness about a sport, an athlete while at a major competition just bowls into the local druggist / pharmacy and grabs an over the counter medication or takes a medication proffered by a 'friend'? Maybe some of the lycra clad athletes are not noted for IQ, but...
...forgive me, but I have some reservations.

When overseas I am not only fussy about the food and drink that goes into my body, there is no way that any 'unknowns' get down my gullet!

But then, I'm only an official, not an athlete with my competition score and reputation on the line.

Spencer