Home range targets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Re: Home range targets

Post by brent375hh »

Rover wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:10 am Brent375's target provides far more useful information than a mere score, which doesn't mean anything in practice.

For example: he has a VERY nice group going...does he need a zero change?

What caused the "8"? How to fix that?

The "9"s on the right look a little off, but the entire group in the "9" ring could just be a normal random variation. ???
Its not my target. Unge posted it as an example of a hard to score target. I just scanned it with Targetscan to illustrate where all ten shots are likely hiding.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:10 am Brent375's target provides far more useful information than a mere score, which doesn't mean anything in practice.

For example: he has a VERY nice group going...does he need a zero change?

What caused the "8"? How to fix that?

The "9"s on the right look a little off, but the entire group in the "9" ring could just be a normal random variation. ???
If the zero is shifted so that the nice cluster is centered in the 10-ring, the 8 becomes a 7 and at least one of the 9s becomes an 8. I think all the "misses" being a bit high and consistently right is revealing - probably a result of repeating one (small) error. Anticipating the shot? But what do I know? I merely quote Shakespeare and make reference to Salvador Dali.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, I'm only interested in Shakespeare's Latin quotes.

BTW I've been to Dali's house on the Costa Brava. Somehow, his stuff appeals to me.
I saw his "Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus)" in NYC. Incredibly powerful!
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I have the very same affliction though...
Attachments
IMG_20210616_130339516.jpg
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:06 pm I have the very same affliction though...
If you trust the target quality, I think missing one is X
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

UnGe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:36 pm
brent375hh wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:06 pm I have the very same affliction though...
If you trust the target quality, I think missing one is X
My affliction is shooting high right 8s as well.😀
I can usually find all 10 of my shots pretty easily.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are right handed, shots up around 1:00 to 2:00 are often anticipation. All it takes is a tiny bit of increased grip pressure to push a shot in that direction.

As an experiment, get your normal grip, stance, etc., line up your sights , and intentionally tighten your grip a little bit. See if the sights move in that direction.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 pm If you are right handed, shots up around 1:00 to 2:00 are often anticipation. All it takes is a tiny bit of increased grip pressure to push a shot in that direction.

As an experiment, get your normal grip, stance, etc., line up your sights , and intentionally tighten your grip a little bit. See if the sights move in that direction.
You are most correct. Squeezing the trigger totally independent of the second finger isn't always easy.
I should dry fire more, I just get bored really fast doing so.
GeraldS1

Post by GeraldS1 »

I have an old phone mounted to a cheap telescope at the firing line. I see shot for shot where they're going so 10 shots is usually ok.

My concern is I only need to change the black but throw away the whole 17cm x 17cm target. Would love black inserts
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

My trap is just wide enough to put two partial targets side by side. As long as I keep all the shots in the black, it works. With two bulls, I can shoot longer before I have to wind the target carrier back to change targets.
Note that this is inherently risky, as both bulls are closer to the edge of the trap, than a single target in the middle of the trap. And a bad shot will miss the trap :-(

But sometimes looking at the trap and seeing two bulls messes with my sight picture.
On those days, I only use one target.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Just for background, this is my AP/AR setup located under the house in the crawl space.
The ground slopes, and the end where the trap is located is literally crawling high.
Hence the need to use a target carrier, so I don't have to crawl in the dirt to change targets.
Because of the very limited vertical height, I could not use the target carrier pulley that Pilkingtons sold. I had to use something with a rail/track.

The carrier mechanism was done on the CHEAP, and cobbled together from parts from Home Depot and Ace Hardware.
I just had to be creative in finding and figuring out how to use stuff for what they were not designed for.

I do have to put the AP or AR down to crank the target in, and change the target.
For AP, I don't have to move my feet. Although I usually do move my feet, just so it won't cramp, from no movement.
But if I shoot AR, the pulley is behind me, so I have to break position to work the pulley.

That limited vertical height also limited me to a 10x10 trap.
Attachments
targetcarrier.jpg