Frame of mind during competitions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

More competition is good if you understand how to score “9”

Post by Russ »

You have many very good points, however:
"Other mental toughness training could involve making a aluminium plate that covers the target face with a hole drilled allowing only the 9 ring (hole size should be just smaller than your normal/expected good shooting group size for 60 shots). Then shoot a 60 shot match, if you have clean 9's or 10's then thats a great start but if you squeeze off an errant shot that's heading for the 8 or even just a line cutter 9 it'll bounce away leaving you with a miss which will hurt your score loads.

You are talking in this case about level of performance 565-570 AP, people who understand how to perform “9" at the constant bases. This is wrong audience for this advice. Not too many able understand or produce this level of performance.

"Another thing is no matter how good you are bad days happen, do not beat yourself up over these, rather try to understand what went wrong, what you changed beforehand that could have affected your performance and learn from that." [/b]

They cannot understand what went wrong. They do not understand or do not have the structure of performance, they do not understand the value of writing in shooting diary etc.

"Every time you shoot, competition, training or practice if you finish and leave having learnt something then you have had a successful session however if you haven't learnt anything at all its a wasted session"

It is also true. Problem is majority of the readers do not have system or structure to analyze their own performance this is why they follow such believes as: “there is No NPA” or “more competition is good for any level of performance”....etc.

More competition is good if you understand how to score “9” in constant basis! This is correct statement!

An Interesting Observations From The Canadian Airgun Grand Prix 2012
Posted February 26, 2012

An Interesting Observations From The Canadian Airgun Grand Prix 2012

http://midwestacademyconsulting.wordpre ... prix-2012/

"I just arrived from the Canadian Airgun Grand Prix and would like to share a few thoughts of my observations. I found it very interesting what I saw on Friday during practice before the CAGP. Probably only one shooter used a blank target during the practice session, who eventually became the top shooter on the list over a two day competition with the highest score. My second observation was when I saw another top shooter who spent about fifteen to twenty minutes writing in their shooting diary while sitting in the same chair after their last shot. My question is how many less experienced athletes who came to this competition with the desire to make the national team or perform the best possible score do not really pay attention at the small details which top shooters cannot ignore."
My best wishes to all.
shooter560

Post by shooter560 »

Russ

A couple of counter points...

The aluminium plate, yes I said a hole say the size of the 9 ring but I also said slightly smaller than their normal 60 shot group size, even a 585 shooter will score the odd 9.2, so if the drilled hole means a final score of 9.5 they will have the odd miss shot.

On your reply to having bad days, I know what you mean however I also feel your reply belittles many shooters, maybe they don't do diaries but most do know what went wrong, what they do need to do in my mind is understand this and learn from it, thats where a diary can help but its not a predefined requirement to succeeding and moving further up the ladder.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I have no ground to argue with you. My respect!
Thank you.
Ruslan