How much money do pro shooters make?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

makks wrote:To my knowledge, european and most asian countries have their shooters on a steady salary + money for winning. This can't be based completely on enthusiasm, still hard to imagine top 3 FP/AP shooters not getting some sort of financial support.
Most of the governing bodies will support their Olympic teams in terms of travel, competition entries, coaching/physio, and some living expenses. Those shooters will also look to attract support form manufacturers for kit and ammo, and private sponsorship where possible (one of the GB pistol shooters got sponsored by a regional haulage company who sponsored a "team" of Olympic hopefuls for 2012, but that was more a 2012 host-nation thing).

A lot still hold down at least part time work for their living expenses, with the sponsors and national squad essentially paying for their shooting expenses.

Outside of ISSF, then there's some manufacturer reps, the exhibition shotgun shooters, etc.
I believe there is a semi-pro ISSF rifle league in Germany, but that's very much the exception (they're allowed 1 foreign shooter per team and I think a couple of UK shooters were invited as the foreign doppelgangers, which is apparently a really big deal, though I haven't heard much of it or know where to find information about it).
flolo

Post by flolo »

@ bundesliga: don't even think of quitting your day job. Depending on your club, maybe(!) some expenses are covered, but that's about it.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Ah, there we go. Bundesliga (in German).
And Wikipedia (in English). Club level. Not professional, but bigger than any other such club leagues I've come across in the sport.
PCU

Post by PCU »

Article about pay to US Olympic shooting medalists is at http://www.usashooting.org/news/2012/11 ... rformances

Don't know about other $ from sponsors & other sources.
Freepistol

There is money in some shooting sports

Post by Freepistol »

Congratulations to Keith Garcia - 2012/2013 3-Gun Nation Champion - taking home $50,000 from Leupold Tactical Optics and NRA Sports!