shooting with both eyes open

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

There's another factor that I don't think has been mentioned:
How does closing one eye affect you?
Does it make you dizzy, tired etc.?
Maybe it's a good thing that shooting with one eye closed doesn't mean keeping it closed for the whole duration of a match!
Do you occasionaly flip up the occluders or keep them there through the whole match? Anybody try to spend an hour with one eye closed?
I guess some that have had eye injuries may be able to report on this,
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

luftskytter- wrote:How does closing one eye affect you?
Does it make you dizzy, tired etc.?
I have been closing my left eye when shooting for the last 30 years. I am therefore used to it and have not noticed any side effects.
luftskytter- wrote:Do you occasionaly flip up the occluders or keep them there through the whole match?
Because I have quite a strong shooting lens I leave the non-aiming eye occluder in place all the time.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Spencer wrote:
Tzed250 wrote:...Sometimes I think I might shoot better if I did close the aiming eye...;).
A frightening thought - but in a coaching 'experiment' a couple of years back we extended the 'take aim and then close eyes for 10 seconds to find out where the sight picture was when the eyes were opened' process to 'take aim, close eyes for 10 seconds and fire the shot with the eyes still closed' stage.

I found that I could hold the 9-ring on a precision target at 25m - which I cannot guarantee with the eyes open!

NOTE: it was under VERY carefully controlled conditions (a closed range, experienced personnel, one-on-one supervision, etc.)
I've tried the same (or almost the same -- airpistol and not real pistol) experiment I guess about a year ago. Almost everybody laughed at the idea. With enough repitition, you can get suprisingly good at just raising the pistol and firing a shot without even looking at the sights or target. It is one among a few good exercises to allow someone to prove to themselves that trying to consciously control a shot will ruin a good shot.
superstring

Post by superstring »

This a great thread! There's so much good info and insight. It makes you THINK ........which, in my books, is always a good thing. :-)