Need advice: a new gun or more training?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Steve Swartz wrote:You have 2 options with the Morini *electronic*

1. partially lift loading lever and dry fire (but you are looking at dorked up sight picture)

2. turn trigger off and dry fire (won't hear a "click" but otherwise feel is identical)

Steve Swartz
If I remember correctly there is a third and better option.
Lift the lever all the way up and then lover it a bit at the time and pull the trigger. When the gun has "fired" pull the lever shut and you can dry fire all day long.

Kent
cdf

Post by cdf »

Im a much less accomplished shot than you . I own both a Styer LP10 an a Morini short ( electronic ) . I purchased both , as it was obvious that they were the front runners , I figured Id sell whichever one didnt work out . Like you I try to train 3 - 4 times per week . For what its worth Ive been shooting for about two and a half years .

Bottom line , Morini has a very superior trigger , the LP10 is a very superior pistol . I have seen Richard Hs pistol with Nil grips , I agree with his advice that a trip to Nil s is a good idea , could save you a lot of screwing around with a dremel and putty . I have only handled two AP s with a trigger comparable to a Morini , a custon job by a gifted smith on an Izzy ( I kick myself for not buying that gun ) , and the FWB44 .

I shoot my Styer 90% of the time , that said , I dont think I would sell the Morini . The only other AP I would include in this happy little group is the FWB44 .

YMMV ,
Chris
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

nt
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

This afternoon first time i can live fire with steyr lp10, shoot exactly where i have called every shoot, much more simple to call the shoot without the muzzle jump: seems i can feel clearly where the shoot go.
Definitively another planet from izzy, i like the trigger much more than other guns i have tried and also if not seems "light" as morini electronic trigger, give me nicer sensation. Best balance and pointability in my hands.
Go for steyr lp10.

Thank you guys for your support and your advices.
Best regards,
LukeP.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Long time ago I switched from a FWB p65 to an LP10. Even if the P65 was one of the best pistol of his time able to achieve very good scores, I had the same feeling as you: moving to another world of sensations, got a pleasure to shoot I never experienced with the P65. Since then, this pleasure is still there.

I wish you have the same pleasure to shoot with your LP10 I have.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

I have a problem (maybe not) with my new lp10.

Moving the cocking lever fast up and down (normal opening and closing operation), start random a jarring nois, like something scratching.
If i move the lever slow it don't make any noise, but if i open or close it faster, start scratching.
I remove the grip, and the lever continue to make "terrible" noise, only when fast moving.
What i can check around the lever to eliminate this noise?

Thank you,
LukeP.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Difficult to give an answer without hearing the noise. If I understand well, it doesn't happen always.

I never had any problem with the two LP10 nor with the LP@ I have had.

One information that might help: when moving the lever, you cock the firing pin (its not exactly a firing pin like on a firearm but it plays the same role) but you also "cock" the absorber that is a moving cylinder mass placed inside the cylinder head. You can see it lokking from the rear of the pistol with the grip removed:
- when the pistol is cocked, the absorber is moved to the front and you see a cavity.
- after the shot, it has moved to the back and that cavity is filled.

May be this noise you hear is linked to the movement of the absorber ?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mine has always sounded slight ly different when you cock it fast, I don't know if I'd call it a grinding noise (but it's done that for all of the 7 plus years I've had it with no problems). Its hard to say with out hearing the noise.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

@Richard, is the same noise, like a vibration.
I check the absorber, seems free of move.
There is a little green piece of plastic (maybe o-ring?), under the lever connection with the frame. I put 3 drops of silicon oil, 600 grade, (is a bit too viscous, at first seen) i put a drop of oil then move the lever and turn-rotate the pistol, then another drop, move and turn, then another one.
Then i left the pistol for 2 hours in his case, when after dinner went to range and magically the noise is disappeared, and after few shoot, the lever can be moved fast without any vibration. (maybe the silicon oil gained the hot range temperature, and go where it would have to go)
Also the lever became lighter to move and free to play.

The oil is named Eightball Shock Oil 600, Carson model sport.

Talking about the trigger.
The trigger: factory setting is exagerated heavy, and the sear engagement is settled as nice as an "iron gate". I must say that also if it feels not so good, when the shoot go out of ten ring, it's me, not the trigger.

First time, i followed Ruig instructions:
/viewtopic.php?t=9828&start=0&postdays= ... 10+trigger
The trigger became a little (little) nicer then inizially but was basically the same.

So after dinner i ask to my range companion (very good shooter) to check my trigger.

I explained what I had done, and he said me: This is like a Formula 1, you must take it to the limit, you cannot expect to use it factory way. You are the driver, i'm the mechanical engineer, please stop to say things without meaning.

In less than 5 minutes, he changed the trigger setting, and now is absolutely amazing. Weight is legal over 500 grams without problems, and absolutely light and dry on sear engagement.

It's hard for anyone to reproduce the trigger without his experience.
To make an example, is more similar to electronic ones feelings: " it's quite difficult for me detecting when the trigger was breaking the final point, seems to me that the only way to shoot right way that trigger is follow letteraly the rules "aim, align and push the trigger attending shot breaks". I'm fear to shoot unsafe with that trigger. "
Is the same sensation, put you on the right way of shooting, with the previous setting (and with izzy one also) i can settle on the final stage, and sqeeeze when i see perfect alignment (i know is the wrong way).
With this trigger, like electronic ones, is impossible to settle on the last stage, you must continue to push because is so dry and and light you remain surprised every time. If you not jerk the trigger, every time is surprising release.

Best regards,
LukeP.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well it sounds like you're happy with your purchase, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
topow858@aol.com

change pistol?

Post by topow858@aol.com »

Hi Luke, my name is Tony and i am the pistol Captain for the County of Lancaster in England, like you I am looking for a pistol to try and improve and am looking at the Benelli Kite unlike you I have never approched 550 and would give a lot to do it. I am 68 and have been shooting firearms since 1972 not that we have much to shoot in this benighted Counry.

If you feel you have reached a platau and connot improve, take a break and shoot just for the pleasure, I find the more intense i get the harder it gets, I am training for Modern Pentathlon thats 5 sports because I get by at each of them. If my shooting was at your standards I would stick to shooting, it sounds as if you have tallent. DO NOT THROW IT AWAY . Have you got a good coach ? if not it find one.
Regards
A.T.Power Whalley Pistol Club and the C.L.S.T.S.A
LukeP

A bit of fun.

Post by LukeP »

Steyr lp10 up to 50 meters.
The most big holes are doubled, 3-4 holes on the white.
;)