practice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:How critical reading & critical thinking you will use in this case?

If you have a medical emergency probably you will choose go to the doctor who has specific knowledge of the subject or disease. Will you chose go to the library of Congress instead?
Specifically to a medical emergency, one has no real choice at the time of the injury or illness. But prior to the injury or illness it is incumbent upon the individual to prepare themselves, physically and mentally, against the possibility of such a situation, hence the need in our society for medical insurance for instance, for fitness and a healthy diet, and for at least a rudimentary study of medicine and health care such that they are not so likely to make unwise decisions when it comes to a) choosing a physician, and b) listening to the options and recommendations presented by that physician. To blindly follow is to accept that another's wisdom is ALWAYS greater than our own, an absurd perspective, however gracious it may be in terms of humility.

To put your example into terms relevant to this forum's purpose; let's say the 'medical emergency' is a 'match.' Would you go to a match and compete without preparing yourself in every conceivable way, including a deep, long-practised understanding of your own psychology around stress as it relates to shooting accurately, diet, exercise, whatever tendencies you have to lose visual or emotional focus on the task, etc.? I should think these and much more preparation would be obvious necessities even for a novice competitor, just as is the participation of a coach (and/or consultant) when the time is right.

I competed as a runner and a cyclist for years, and usually finished top-10 in whatever event I entered, often top-3. I had little if any coaching. I learned by doing, something I've always done. What I glean from this experience, and so many others in my particular life, is that most of my learning of whatever trade or hobby or sport can be done on my own, following the written works of others and coupling that knowledge to my own hands-on approach. I'm not for a minute suggesting that this is suitable for everyone. It's just what works for me. (And yeah, I know, talk to you after the Nationals... so predictable.)

Shooting is not a medical emergency Russ. Unless you shoot yourself in the foot that is.
Russ

Post by Russ »

"Shooting is not a medical emergency Russ. Unless you shoot yourself in the foot that is."

In your case, time is critical; it is kind of emergency from my point of view.
I just would like to see your national score performance. You are 100% correct, about this statement.

In addition, I do not see too much "critical thinking" in this case. If you have positive experience in different sports it is not automatically correct approach in this sport where psychology plays major part.

Anyway, we are discussing this subject too early. I hope you will not disappear from horizon before next Canadian National.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Running is mostly a psychological sport, whether sprinting or long distance. Without an internal victory pre-imagined and persistently held during the run, victory is nearly impossible. After 8km when pushing the pace and lungs burning, the mind is what speeds the running to breeze past the next 3 competitors to the finish line.

BMX racing, something I did for 3 years and ranked well in, is another where the mind's clarity and flexibility is key. It's all well and good to spring quickly in a race, to jump well over obstacles, but without a 'need' to win in the mind there's no trophy going home.
william

Post by william »

How many pages on this thread?

Russ and Gerard have, I fear, become two rutting bull moose with their antlers tied in a death lock (with Mr. Derr occasionally prodding at Russ' flank).
Russ

Post by Russ »

I know something about running too. 25 km or 6 km with 25 kg of “equipment on my shoulders”.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Having only glanced at some of the posts on this thread it seems to me that the two main protagonists are talking about different levels of achievment.

Gerard seems to be referring to what I would describe as a reasonable club level of shooting.

Russ seems to be referring to a higher level, maybe regional or national depending on where you live.

Neither are describing what is required to achieve international winning performance.

You get out of shooting what you are prepared to put in.

If you only want to shoot half a tin of pellets a week then you obviously can't expect to regularly shoot national match winning scores.

If you are prepared to dedicate several hours a day to training in the various elements then you would obviously be expecting a much higher, and more consistant, level of performance.

Neither is right or wrong. Both are an individual choice based on your realistic goals.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear David it is nice to have you in this conversation. Looks like you only knows how to get prepare to international level on TT. I have to update you.
In 1993 during preparation (selection) to the CISM at Norway, Oslo in order to make a travel team my competitors by your description (regional level) was Mikhail Nestruev and few others at the same national level in Russia (by your description regional level) . So I made the Russia CISM Travel team. Please continue to insight us about international level of performance.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:Please continue to insight us about international level of performance.
Top level competition scores are freely available on the web.

As indications, the scores required to get into the AP60 top 8(final)/15/20 at the top level competitions in the last couple of years were:-

582/582/578 Munich World Champonships 2010
579/578/577 Sydney World Cup 2011
584/580/579 Changwon World Cup 2011
583/581/580 Benning World Cup 2011
582/580/580 Munich World Cup 2011
583/582/579 London World Cup (Test Event) 2012

I have not included Continental Championships as, apart from the Europeans, the scores required are normally much lower.

As my coach once said to me "if you ain't brought it with you, don't expect to find it here".
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Russ wrote:
toddinjax wrote:Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before (can't imagine that it hasn't) but what are your credentials please Russ? Have you competed nationally, international level, significant wins/high placings, and years teaching, how many students have you tutored?
It will be better if you will tell me by PM about your current level of performance and what are you looking to accomplish in Olympic pistol, or NRA International pistol during next year or two.

I think "it would be better" if you had the courage to answer a simple question that is routinely put to any business person who "hangs a shingle" for services. Why would anyone trying to build a client base be unwilling to list their qualifications, if they had a proven history? In a way, I guess you did in a roundabout way answer my question in that I now know that you don't have a resume of accomplishments that would provoke me to hire you.
Russ

Post by Russ »

David, I would like you to give you one more hints to understand the level and magnitude of selection process to make Russian Travel National team. Besides Mikhail Nestruev, I competed over two weeks selection with KLIMOV, Alexei, Sergei Alifirenko, Vladimir Osipenko, Nikolay Buriy. Some one make the travel team someone not. Does it make any one of us less qualified to have international level of performance?

http://www.issf-sports.org/shooters/sho ... 2708197501

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Alifirenko

If I have no records in your database and I took only once USAS National championship and scored 576 makes my words less valuable than Greg Derr?
I have some doubts if he ever will make just impression by his performance to be qualified to participate on this kind of selection, or make Travel National team what I did in the past.
Last edited by Russ on Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:Does it make any one of us less qualified to have international level of performance?
I'm afraid I don't understand the question.
Russ

Post by Russ »

David Levene wrote:
Russ wrote:Does it make any one of us less qualified to have international level of performance?
"Neither are describing what is required to achieve international winning performance. "

Is it your statement?

From your superior position you trying to make an impression that nether my input or Gerard not qualified to talk about International level of performance. You are correct in the first part of your statement that between my experience and Gerard’s about 20 years of competitive experience. Next part, is how close you are to the reality to judge my statements and experience how to make national travel team?
Last edited by Russ on Sat May 05, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:If I have no records in your database and I took only once USAS National championship and scored 576 makes my words less valuable than Greg Derr?
As I've said in the past, I believe that shooting ability and coaching ability have very little relationship to each other.

What makes someone a good coach is the ability to get the best performance from their athlete.
Russ

Post by Russ »

From your superior position you trying to make an impression that nether my input or Gerard not qualified to talk about International level of performance. You are correct in the first part of your statement that between my experience and Gerard’s is about 20 years gao of competitive experience. Next part, is how close you are to the reality to judge my statements and experience how to make national travel team?

I do not do coaching!
I do consulting! :)
Last edited by Russ on Sat May 05, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:
David Levene wrote:
"Neither are describing what is required to achieve international winning performance. "

Is it your statement?
Yes, but I'm afraid that this is one of those occassions where your use of the English language failed to form an understandable question. (Not a criticism, you use of my language is MUCH better than is mine of yours)
Russ

Post by Russ »

So you have follow original thread, no one talking here yet "how to win international performance".
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:From your superior position you trying to make an impression that nether my input or Gerard not qualified to talk about International level of performance
Absolute rubbish. What I actually said was "Neither are describing what is required to achieve international winning performance."

I made no judgement about whether either of you were "qualified to talk about International level of performance"
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:So you have follow original thread, no one talking here yet "how to win international performance".
I didn't say that they were.
Russ

Post by Russ »

No one is talking here about your statement!
topic is : PRACTICE!

It makes me wonder, if you do not understand what is the topic about, what is the point to talk here at all?
Russ

Post by Russ »

toddinjax wrote:
Russ wrote:
toddinjax wrote:Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before (can't imagine that it hasn't) but what are your credentials please Russ? Have you competed nationally, international level, significant wins/high placings, and years teaching, how many students have you tutored?
It will be better if you will tell me by PM about your current level of performance and what are you looking to accomplish in Olympic pistol, or NRA International pistol during next year or two.

I think "it would be better" if you had the courage to answer a simple question that is routinely put to any business person who "hangs a shingle" for services. Why would anyone trying to build a client base be unwilling to list their qualifications, if they had a proven history? In a way, I guess you did in a roundabout way answer my question in that I now know that you don't have a resume of accomplishments that would provoke me to hire you.
Dear toddinjax,
Average income for coaching in the USA is: $0.00 from my knowledge. I just simply disqualified myself from this competition. If you have different offer, please use PM in this case.