Newbie shooting question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nmondal

29th Aug - 2021 - 60 shots

Post by nmondal »

This is from Range today.

60 shots.

Slightly larger.. zoom.

10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Rover

Re: Newbie shooting question

Post by Rover »

I think a slight sight change might be in order, unless you learn to hold your mouth right.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:52 am I think a slight sight change might be in order, unless you learn to hold your mouth right.
Which hand is the right one for holding your mouth?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I suppose I could make a case for your gun hand to be the right one when holding it to your mouth.
nmondal

One by one shot - 11 shots - 31/Aug/2021

Post by nmondal »

I think either GWhite, William or Rover advised me on shooting 1 pellet - walk over and check.
I did today. Had to - because I wanted to get the horizontal spread to minimum.
Going there.

Also I am certain I need to check my eyes for power changes.
Did not visit ophthalmologists for 3 years straight now.
emre-nur

Re: One by one shot - 11 shots - 31/Aug/2021

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:43 am I think either GWhite, William or Rover advised me on shooting 1 pellet - walk over and check.
Going there.

That's what I do, check after each shot. Though, did not know it was advisable. Thought, more it is my bad nature, can't stand or sit still, uneasy.
Last edited by emre-nur on Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Those are two 10 shots from today.

Was I watching my sight properly, calling my shot? Ehhhhh, not exactly, so so.

Image-1-11.jpg
Image-1-10.jpg
william

Re: One by one shot - 11 shots - 31/Aug/2021

Post by william »

emre-nur wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 am
nmondal wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:43 am I think either GWhite, William or Rover advised me on shooting 1 pellet - walk over and check.
Going there.

That's what I do, check after each shot. Though, did not know it was advisable. Thought, more it is my bad nature, can't stand or sit still, uneasy.
Don't check each shot to see its point value. The score is of no importance in practice. Check every shot to confirm that it hit where you predicted it would at the instant of trigger release, or to determine what you did wrong if it didn't. Then scrub that shot from your consciousness (easier said than done) and move on to the next 'one-shot-match.'
Rover

Post by Rover »

Rover wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:52 am I think a slight sight change might be in order, unless you learn to hold your mouth right.
The link below will give you an approximation of the correct positioning, but there is always some small variations of no consequence.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/sites ... 649685.jpg
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Sometimes you cannot call shots via sight as sights moved too quickly to be picked up by the brain BUT you can feel it move.

See the sports gene by David Epstein Chapter 1
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

to Nmondal
If you can't call the shots and the rear view (follow through) doesn't work for you, you should consult with your friend scatt. It will clearly show whether you are triggering incorrectly or aiming incorrectly. Otherwise, we just thresh empty straw and it leads to nothing. Eights are bad shots and you have to remove eights first. Then you can focus on nines. The road is waiting for you, or let it shoot straight away. You have to decide for yourself. Hi
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

All right...
This time, I tried to do all by the book.
Watching my sights, abandoning prolonged shots, not leaving my PoA before 5 shots.
My main concern was calling the shots.
I almost knew all went around 8 and 9 and I knew that some were low (maybe even 7) but also hoped to have one or two more 10s. I thought one or two could be higher but not up to 7 or exterior 8.
Not a better score, but maybe a better grouping. At least less like a shotgun spray, as William tells.

Here comes the think, I have a W. LP500 since june 2021 and I never tested the gun for sights. I am shooting almost as it came from the seller (adjusted windage a few clicks). Sights were adjusted like 6 or sub6 and I went with it. But I dont know where exactly the pistol shoots, rather going intuitively. Now as I focus on watching my sights and keeping a more or less stable PoA, groupings seem to be a bit low. Yet, I still feel that it is early to make major adjustments. I also dont know whether to aim 6 or sub6. Before LP500, I had an Izzy46m and was shooting at the center for 2-3 months.

Image-1-10.jpg
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you don't know where your pistol is shooting, it doesn't matter. All you are concerned with is grouping.

But since you bring it up: Shoot a target, put another target over it and shoot it, then do it again. You'll have thirty shots on one piece of paper. Then adjust your sights (about four clicks per scoring ring). Now do it all over again, and again, and again, and again......forever!
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Sight adjustment is meant to be used and used often as you get to know how you shoot, in this case bring the group up, start by using four clicks and go from there - you can always back off. If you have been shooting for a while and the middle of the black it takes a big leap of faith to aim low and ignore the black and just look at the front sight, the moment you even flicker your thought to the black it can all go to hell on a hand cart. You need to just believe and hold that low hold and draw that blade backwards and follow through like your life depended on it. You aim low away from the black so you can totally focus on the sight picture on that nice cream coloured card, you will develop a balance over time and find that zone / area aim but in different light conditions that black gets bigger and smaller so you will have to factor that in too, and again move that sight.
tiktock

Post by tiktock »

I struggle with exactly “where” my hold is as you describe. Generally it feels right to have an equal amount of “white” to the left and right if my front blade as above the flat and the black but its a harder distance to quantify with the bull blurry. My mind “wants” me to pull towards the black when correcting, also, so when I pull shots they are often high as a result. I think this is subconscious from years and years of shooting not using a sub-6 hold.
nmondal

Sep 1 2021

Post by nmondal »

10 shots. Today.
First "cold" shot was 8.9 I think.. but yeah.

emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Rover wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:17 am If you don't know where your pistol is shooting, it doesn't matter. All you are concerned with is grouping.

But since you bring it up: Shoot a target, put another target over it and shoot it, then do it again. You'll have thirty shots on one piece of paper. Then adjust your sights (about four clicks per scoring ring). Now do it all over again, and again, and again, and again......forever!
Thanks Rover,
I agree that it does'nt matter. That's why I am reluctant to play with the sight adjustment. This targetscan app gives a heat map of the previous shots, like last 1,7,30 days. Do you think this could help?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Play with it. Don't play with it. It's all in your hands. Just don't do it excessively.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

It has been said that deliberately winding the sights off both in elevation and in windage (remembering how many clicks you move) will make you focus more on the grouping than the “score”.

Bob
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It's easier just to take a black marker & "remove" the scoring rings on a target.