USAS Hires New National Pistol Coach

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Lack of interest for new coaches

Post by Guest »

Then what do these so-called Training Counselors train in? What do they do, who or what are they teaching?

Post by Guest »

ohmigosh!, say it ain't so, that perfect organization whom we all love and adore, can't get its training counselors to either train or counsel??? where are there grassroots efforts? I think I am going to call my NRA board members right now and complain on behalf of JohnK.
Patrick

Training Coaches

Post by Patrick »

Hi John.

I will be honest: getting people in these courses are difficult. I offered to run one and one person signed up. Now, by the rules, I had to have another coach instructor attend, and he lived 9 hours away by car. I'd have to absorb his flight to teach the course. It just isn't feasible.

I believe that if you want the course to go in your area (where?), then first build interest and get bodies. THEN arrange for a training session. It should never be instructor driven. Always get the bodies in attendance first, and then arrange the instructors. Otherwise, it will never happen.

That being said, I've gone from Toronto to Virginia/Maryland three times for training, at about $1000 USD per trip. In a couple of weeks, I'll be off to Camp Perry (6 hour drive) for a week ($250 + lost wages) to attend another coaching session. There is stuff out there, but you have to decide how much it is worth to you.

And when you attend, your reward will be coaching, which on bad days, resembles work. But on great days, it makes it all worthwhile. *s*

I would say perseverence pays off. Keep coaching. Keep reading and build interest for courses in your area.

Sorry that things aren't happening where you live.
Patrick
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Patrick,
Thanks for the words of encouragement!
JLK
avanti357

Post by avanti357 »

Mr. Poole,

You made my point for me again. If you want to travel overseas, open up your checkbook. Everyone knows about the travel scores. They were set because the team doesn't have enough money to send full teams to the world cups. When I was shooting, the travel score was 583 in RF. I had a travel score most of the time, since they are good for a year. But having the travel score didn't mean you were able to go overseas. Sometimes you still had to right a check.

Your point about the definition of the National Team is a good one. While I was shooting, the National Team was from 4 to 8 people. I recently asked how many people would be selected next year and they didn't know.
Ray Odle

Instructor Training

Post by Ray Odle »

To the above post concerning Instructor Training let me add my thoughts.

Training Councelors tend to use their classes to make money, but not all. also most TCs don't have experience or interest in competitive shooting.

Some of us have been fortunate to cross over to coaching and then have been invited to be on the National Coaches Development Staff. During the winter time you just might get one of us to drive to your fair city for a sparcely attended instructor course. A little gas money, warm bed and endless supply of coffee might do the trick.

You can schedule an instructor class directly with a TC or a coaches school by going through HQ Moody at NRA headquarters. I believe NRA instructor training is wise to have before coaches training. Instructor training is heavy on the principles of teaching.

For our sport to continue we all have to be willing to go the extra mile.

Ray Odle
Illinois
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Mr. Poole,

You made my point for me again. If you want to travel overseas, open up your checkbook. Everyone knows about the travel scores. They were set because the team doesn't have enough money to send full teams to the world cups.
I interpreted the conversations I had and heard with some USAS officials to mean that the travelling scores were established (or are currently justified) and set high to force the shooters to work harder to meet that standard. And that hopefully builds a stronger team. I think the references such as the quote from Mitchell's interview: "...change from an entitlement-based organization to a performance-based organization. " is referring to that philosophy.

I can understand that if USAS has limited funding they cannot pay to send a full team for every (2 score and 3 MQS) spot available at every world cup. But I can see advantages to letting (capable, if not yet world-class) self-funded shooters fill the vacant spots.

Poole