How to choose an air pistol of ISSF 10m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David M

Re: How to choose an air pistol of ISSF 10m

Post by David M »

In Europe if you do not want to spend a lot on a new pistol, consider a Walther LP400, older Morini 162 or early Steyr LP 10.
You have easy access to the manufactures for service.
If older than 10yrs you may also need a new tank to compete in ISSF open competitions.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

william wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:46 pm .......There is no objective best. They are all good, and it comes down to what is subjectively the best for you.........
I heard this same advice from many long time AP shooters. Try to beat the immediate rush to get one and just try as many as you can. The guns are all so similar it's crazy. I tried several (AP20, PX8, Evo10, and the K12) - for some reason the K12 just stuck, may have been the grip, the balance,the trigger set-up - who knows. Parts can be an issue I suspect. But if you have any kind of a contact in the EU I would put that on the back burner. All of these choices are WAY over my head at the moment - but hopefully time (and perseverance) will change that.

Good luck !
Last edited by Agt. Smith on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeMargolis

Post by MikeMargolis »

They will all (most likely) shoot better than you or I can.

Consider local service.

I did and ended up with a LP-10, extremely happy.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I'm also in Belgium and all guns are available here. Too bad that Frank in Lommel has stopped selling to the public, but he still sells all the guns he imports through any armorer in Belgium, and so do other importers. He should be at BOA and also other resellers and manufacturers. You have a couple importers at least of Pardini in Liège.

If you can go to a shop in Germany and try the guns that would be great too, just bring the gun back with you and don't buy it online (it is prohibited by federal law to buy weapons online, also air pistols). Depending on your region, legislation may change for imports (in Brussels you have to introduce a free declaration for importing any weapon or piece of a weapon). If there's an international competition in Germany, some manufacturers will be present and sell guns directly to public with a huge discount.

The best is to try the pistols and get a feel for which one you like the most. Talk to other shooters at your club and ask them about what they love and hate about their guns.

For me the trigger sensation is very important. I'm afraid I will forget to charge the battery of electronic pistols, so I go for manual triggers only. I've had a Steyr Evo 10, which is a great gun and has served me well for years. I now use a Feinwerkbau P8X because of its trigger, which is also amazing in the Pardini K12 and the Walther LP500.

I don't really care about the looks of the pistol. If you do, that's also a valid criteria.

If you are interested in learning more about the P8X, I've published this review: https://www.olympicpistol.com/feinwerkb ... tol-review