Test Grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Re: Test Grip

Post by william »

B Lafferty wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:49 am
william wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 am
brent375hh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:42 am Thanks for all the positive and inspiring comments as always.
You're entirely welcome. I'm not here to be positive or inspiring, or to encourage what my 10th grade history teacher appropriately called "mental masturbation."
I have to say that I can only recall one post of yours here that added in even the most remote way to reason based discussion. Believe me, please, when I say compassionately that I see in you a rather circumscribed, trauma affected psyche that actually has far more to offer than what you are able to display here. Be well, William.......
Spare me the faux-empathy. I don't need your dime-store psychobabble.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

william wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:31 pm
B Lafferty wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:49 am
william wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 am
brent375hh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:42 am Thanks for all the positive and inspiring comments as always.
You're entirely welcome. I'm not here to be positive or inspiring, or to encourage what my 10th grade history teacher appropriately called "mental masturbation."
I have to say that I can only recall one post of yours here that added in even the most remote way to reason based discussion. Believe me, please, when I say compassionately that I see in you a rather circumscribed, trauma affected psyche that actually has far more to offer than what you are able to display here. Be well, William.......
Spare me the faux-empathy. I don't need your dime-store psychobabble.
Nothing faux, William. I feel your pain. Be well....
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Post by Rover »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:42 am
william wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:37 am So here we are, almost 2 months later, and all you've learned is what velocity your vise likes with the specific batch of pellets you currently have. Next time you buy pellets, it's all down the drain.

Ya shoulda just listened to Rover (whatever he said).
Thanks for all the positive and inspiring comments as always.
You probably wonder why all the major manufacturers test their guns too. They should all just come with a note that says Rover thinks it's good enough with RWS basics, and his follower agrees.
Well, you may disagree with my opinions and methods, but perhaps you may find the instruction book helpful. It recommends clamping on the trigger guard.

You may also find it interesting to discover that the manufacturer "tests pellets" only to the extent of finding whether or not the gun is working properly.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Rover wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:54 pm
brent375hh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:42 am
william wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:37 am So here we are, almost 2 months later, and all you've learned is what velocity your vise likes with the specific batch of pellets you currently have. Next time you buy pellets, it's all down the drain.

Ya shoulda just listened to Rover (whatever he said).
Thanks for all the positive and inspiring comments as always.
You probably wonder why all the major manufacturers test their guns too. They should all just come with a note that says Rover thinks it's good enough with RWS basics, and his follower agrees.
Well, you may disagree with my opinions and methods, but perhaps you may find the instruction book helpful. It recommends clamping on the trigger guard.

You may also find it interesting to discover that the manufacturer "tests pellets" only to the extent of finding whether or not the gun is working properly.
Yes, I can read the manual. I chose to not clamp my trigger guard in a vice, the results are the same. I'm sure if Steyr had a group that measured 10mm, they wouldn't sell it, as they would find it to Not be working properly. As to your methods of testing, I don't know what they even are.

You had some Ransom inserts for a 41 for sale. What did you have them for? You didn't actually clamp a 41 and test ammo did you? If you did, how different is that from what I did?

You and William often dump on everybody on this forum, or add some inane comment that doesn't pertain to the subject at hand. I'm not sure what you get out of it. Perhaps a daily attempt at humor? Are you and William the same person, but two login names?

Testing pellet speed to find the best group is not " buying points", as you often tell people, because it cost me nothing but time.

If you want to compete with 1980's tools and the cheapest ammo you can find, without testing for accuracy, great for you.
I'm not trying to encroach on your forum king status. I simply showed the steps I took to make sure my equipment was as good as it could be. If you and William don't approve of testing, because it cuts into drinking time, that's just your combined opinion.
Rover

Post by Rover »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:17 pm I am happy with the end result for a 5 shot group.

Knowing your equipment is performing, at least for me, is better than being reasonably sure that it is good enough.
Good enough for you, I suppose, but too few shots to be statistically meaningful. I've shot many groups that size with RWS Basics. Good enough for me, I suppose.

If you're interested, a quick search using my "handle" and "pellets", will tell you everything you might think you need to know.

As for the S&W 41, I found it not worth the trouble any more and just shoot CCI Standard Blue Box.

Prosit!!!
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Rover wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:23 am
brent375hh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:17 pm I am happy with the end result for a 5 shot group.

Knowing your equipment is performing, at least for me, is better than being reasonably sure that it is good enough.
Good enough for you, I suppose, but too few shots to be statistically meaningful. I've shot many groups that size with RWS Basics. Good enough for me, I suppose.

If you're interested, a quick search using my "handle" and "pellets", will tell you everything you might think you need to know.

As for the S&W 41, I found it not worth the trouble any more and just shoot CCI Standard Blue Box.

Prosit!!!
How many shots do you think I took on target over the chrono last weekend? What is the required number to be statistically meaningful?

Since you admit to shooting fantastic groups with Basics, why did you do it in the first place? I have had quite a few air guns since 1978. I have only tested 2. Mostly because I assumed that they shot well, secondly because I was lazy. Pellet testing is as worthwhile as any other hobby activity if it interests the one doing it. Those that don't care could always just skip on to the next topic.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

How much fiddling with the velocity did it take to get your one hole group Brent? What was your group size starting point?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Green_Canoe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:29 am How much fiddling with the velocity did it take to get your one hole group Brent? What was your group size starting point?
None were big enough to miss an X if perfectly centered. The worst was at 498, with an average of 3.2mm ctc. It's not the reason I shoot 8s, but when missing the 10 by 1mm, I want to know it was me, and not the equipment. Somebody will now come along and state that an inaccurate gun could also make a 9 into a 10, but I don't know anybody that goes out of their way to have equipment like that.

The most important part of the experience for me was that my gun wasn't shooting 3/8" groups, which is honestly about as good as I can shoot off of a bench. Knowing it works as it should just gives me peace of mind. Confidence is half of this game for me. Even if I am not an Olympian, I like good equipment, since I use it nearly every day.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

Thanks Brent. I have an LP10 too. Is your "grip" as simple as it looks? (block of wood with a square notch out of one corner and a through hole for the grip bolt) This looks like an interesting project for a snowy winter day. Thanks for wading through the naysayers and posting.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Green_Canoe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:11 pm Thanks Brent. I have an LP10 too. Is your "grip" as simple as it looks? (block of wood with a square notch out of one corner and a through hole for the grip bolt) This looks like an interesting project for a snowy winter day. Thanks for wading through the naysayers and posting.
GC, you are most welcome.

It is just as simple as it looks, almost. The hole for the grip rod has to be only as long as the rod. Then the hole for the bolt needs to be only as big in diameter as the bolt. Tracing it on one side to get the angles correct is pretty straightforward.
Cutting a notch to gain access to the striker spring adjusting screw, and it's a finished product.
I was very careful with lifting the cocking arm and tried to put a opposite amount of down pressure in doing so. Use the steel insert from your grip, or at least turn the grip angle adjusting screws in. You don't want just those only making contact with the wood.

Good luck with your testing. I was lucky to have a really heavy table at work to use for this.
mjmarz

Post by mjmarz »

Well Done.